cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Road trip

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are going on a long road trip this spring and summer...about 4 to 6 weeks. DO you wish that you were driving a motorhome ?
29 REPLIES 29

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We have had tt's, fivers and a 40 foot motorhome. As someone already said if you are moving every few days I can see the advantage of a mh. But we sold ours and went back to a 40 foot fiver. It has WAY more room than a mh and is auto leveling just like our mh was. Folks say your wife can get up and fix sandwiches, coffee, snacks,etc while underway. Yes she can but it is very dangerous. She could use the bathroom while underway but I couldn't. Bottom line, I will never go back to a motorhome. Our fiver has everything we could ask for and then some. Besides, we are never in a hurry to get there or get back.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
There's all kinds of debatable pros and cons to either choice, but one thing about a truck is the built-in safety with airbags a stout frame and roll over protection. Have a look at a motorhome that's been in an accident - not pretty.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
We had three motorhomes before our fifth wheel. When I had business on the east coast, the motorhomes with toad were great. We did all lower 48 states in about six weeks each summer. Now, we take a long weekend trip in CA each month, so a fifth wheel works well.

The 35 foot fifth wheel has a modestly better living space than the 40DP. We will take a ten day trip next summer and I will have a better picture, but I tend to think we prefer the fifth wheel for our present use.

Crespro
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will stick with the 5er. Being able to tow a jeep or some crossover SUV for some easy offroading is nice but for the difference in price of 5er & truck vs the price of a Moho & jeep plus additional expenses of them I can rent a jeep wherever I want one & keep lots of money in my pockets.

Most people with 5ers have 4X4 trucks quite capable of doing easier offroad trails.

In over 200,000 miles in 13 years of travel all over the US & Canada I have yet to find a parking lot that my 3500 LB CC won't find a spot in.

Hitching & unhitching from a 5er is less work than dealing with a toad. JMO.

In literally hundreds of arrivals & departures from CGs very very few have been done in the rain.

An exit from a highway is never far away making bathroom breaks easy. I have yet to see a driver of a moho get up from the seat to use the potty while going down a highway. Getting up & moving around a vehicle hurtling down the road where there is the potential to hit other objects is not the smartest of ideas anyway.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I could the wife not so much. Actually we've been on the road since 2010. Our present road trip started Sept 10 and we'll be parking it as our winter roost Dec 15. 11 states 21 campgrounds 5200 miles so far another 1525 miles and 5 or 6 campgrounds.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been on a few long trips and no I never felt the need to trade the 5th for a MH.
Either way I would be towing something.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
If I wished I was driving a motorhome, I'd be working on getting a motorhome.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
billy1davis wrote:
We are going on a long road trip this spring and summer...about 4 to 6 weeks. DO you wish that you were driving a motorhome ?

We did go in our motorhome on wonderfull 9 week and a 10 week road trips a few years ago, and have been going on shorter trips as much as possible ever since (which include a lot of drycamping).

We camp in places like this with our 24ft Class C on it's overkill E450 chassis with non-stock good ground clearance, where I would never risk taking a TT or 5'er to:
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
NOPE!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had 1 TT a long time agoโ€”2 class C. Then a 45ft Dynasty w/4slides, to big then a 40ft Winnebago DP that we wore out. Now we have a 36ft Monaco DP and itโ€™s perfect towing the Smart car. Lately longest trip was 700mi and I drove it in one day. I will be 80 soon and still rolling. DP

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv your on vacation stop and see the world.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
obgraham wrote:
MoHo and dingy will give you the most flexibility on your trip.
5th wheel gives more living space, but you then need a monster truck.

Not sure how it gives more flexibility.

Properly set up, any RV drives just fine.

Once you get used to driving a truck, it's hard to get back in a small car.

Only real advantage to a MH is if you want to tow a jeep for off road work or other specialty use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned 4 truck campers and 3 5th wheels. By far the most pleasurable travel was with the truck campers. If you are going to stop at a specific place and set down for a while then the 5th wheel is the most comfortable plus you have the truck to run all over the area and site see. Also you don't have to repack and put away items to go somewhere. The 5th wheel can be towed to a campground if you have mechanical problems with the truck and this keeps you out of motels plus you don't have to worry about packing up all your valuables to send your motorhome off to a repair facility. Things like firearms and jewelry are targets for theives. 5th wheels are sometimes difficult to maneuver it tight fuel stops and narrow small town streets but so is a motorhome!!

Truck campers are just easy. You can park or drive anywhere you normally drive a pickup. You always have a meal or a bathroom with you!! I was practically never turned away from a crowded campground because they can normally find a spot somewhere on the property if you ask nicely and are polite. Only trouble with truck campers is the storage space but with modern 4 door extended cab trucks you have a really big secure dry area to put things. I'd go back to a truck camper if the wife would give up our 5th wheel. Friends who have a motor home are very limited to certain destinations and they MUST pull a small car with them everywhere. So if you are going to pull something.......make it a 5th wheel. Old motorhomes have practically no value on resale. Many older trailers are desirable to anyone wanting to set up a permanent camp somewhere. Our neighbor has a big motorhome and has tried to sell it for the past 5 years. Nobody is interested in a 15 year old coach plus now it has set for so long I doubt it would start. Other than having that big windshield in a class A to see the road ahead of you I can think of no advantage to a motorhome!!

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner