Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Long trips
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our trips usually lasted 2-3 months and covered 5000-7000 miles. We very seldom would stay more than a day or two at one location before we were on our way again. We never made reservation and never had a set schedule or destination. We would just leave Florida, head West, and tried to follow a route that we had not used before. Without a schedule or reservation we would just travel until we decided to stop for the day. We might decide to stop because we found a small town that we liked or because the weather was getting bad. This is one of the reasons why we preferred a Class A. Even if it was pouring down rain, we could just stop, fire up the generator, and have everything we needed without getting soaked trying to set up for the night. Naturally if we were stopping in an RV park during the rain we would wait for a break and then go out and hook up the electric so that we did not need the generator. We always traveled with full or close to full water tanks and only hooked up to water or sewer to fill our tank or empty our waste. This prevented freezing problems since we traveled mostly during the Winter months. We pulled a Chevrolet HHR behind our coach which provided enough room for our 100+ pound dog as well as provided a comfortable and fuel efficient vehicle for us to tour an area. With our Class A we had all of the conveniences of home with satellite TV, wifi, a comfortable bed, comfortable seating, and plenty of room for us and our big dog. By not having a destination or a schedule we found that our trips were always relaxing and provided us with new adventures each time we were on the road. We found that there are many things to experience during each trip that would never be listed in a travel brochure. It also meant that we could drive when we wanted to and just sit and relax if we decided that is what we needed.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing we absolutely dislike about our 5th wheel/toyhauler is the bucking at bridge approaches. In the motorhomes I drive at work the bridge approaches are much easier to negotiate. Had a diesel that rocked up so far I was looking at the sky.

All the wife knows about cross-countries are on the back of a motorcycle hauling a tent-trailer and our 5th wheel. We've done 5-6000 mile trips on both. I drive a lot of cross-country at work in motorhomes ranging from Bs to diesel pushers so I get to see the other side.

5th wheels are the absolute best in the wind. Between the 6 tires on my truck and 6 on the trailer, the rig is ultra stable in crosswinds.

I like the motorhomes for their maneuverability and ease of parking. I imagine my wife would enjoy being able to move about while traveling. I also enjoy the comfortable motorhome seats and roominess. Someday we might make the trade for an A gasser and tow our RZR on trips.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We returned from a 4,000 mile trip a month ago, using our 1999 27', 10,000 pound fifth wheel and 2000 F350 7.3 diesel. We might have enjoyed another 2' in length, but, beyond that everything was great. My wife had enough room to use her sewing machine and the two 15 pound dogs were happy with all that they had. We didn't spend much time in the RV, visiting all the wonderous sites Utah and Northern Arizona had to offer, then dropping in on our adult children and the grand children in Vegas, Phoenix and Kingman. That was a 19 day trip.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've put over 100,000 miles on ours. Enjoyed every minute, behind the wheel and in the campground....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a relatively small TT at 17' and a F150. It is perfect for us because we camp in hard to get to spots and places that can't take larger units. The combination has a comfortable ride, sleeps the two of us with enough room. We own property where as many as 20 family members spend several weekends every year. Our small TT works well for all of our travels.
Boondocking works really well with this camper and we rarely fire up the generator unless the nights get cold enough to require the furnace, then we charge the batteries in the morning.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

WAFlowers

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we moved to Florida from Toronto Canada 23 years ago we have travelled back many times to visit family with various RVs: tent trailers, Class C, 5th wheel and now Class A diesel pusher. Depending on which family members we were visiting the trips varied from 3500 miles to 5000 miles. We have pushed the drives (once doing 1950 miles in 32 hours of driving and 34 hours door-to-door, stopping for just 2 hours) and done them very relaxed. As we returned from our most recent trip I brought up the subject with my wife of what type of RV was the best for us. We both agreed that our Tiffin was the very best we have had and was very appropriate for our lifestyle, the way we travel and the travel plans we have in the future.

Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blaster Man wrote:

One reason we switched to a Class A from a 5th wheel was that no how nice the truck and 5th wheel, you're still riding in a truck. You can't do anything but ride. In the class A you can get to the refrig, bathroom, bedroom, closet, pantry and any where else you want. Plus the weather is irrelevant....if it's pouring rain you can still get what you want without getting out of the MH.

Same with us. If it's hot, it's already cooled down before we get to our destination. Same with cold and heat. Sitting up high in a class A also makes for good views. Seeing what's way up ahead makes for a more relaxed driving also. JMO.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 24 foot Class C drives like a van, so long trips in it are very restful and low stress. However from what I read in the forums, certain Class C motorhome setups don't handle well.

Our longest trip as been around 7000 miles. There is a video on YouTube of a couple who full-time in a 24 foot Class C.

We don't tow and can get around sightseeing and camping just about anywhere in it except for hardcore off-road travel ... but we do take if off-highway on gravel and dirt roads.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the ^^^^ by rgatijnet1...several months in the summer with no reservations and dry camping most of the time. Still do the 1500 miles to CO in 2 days and 2.5 days home from MT. Personal best is 4 miles from a Private CG to a USFS CG. Hard to beat the convenience of a class A.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 33.5 foot Class A, and one of my rules is the "330" rule; no more than 330 miles per day, and get to where you are going by 3:30. No desire to drive 500-600 miles per day. But that is us...

Al

* This post was edited 11/27/20 02:58am by FloridaRosebud *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.