Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Long trips
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have a class A, only rv we have ever owned as it was tents before this. We have been full-time 10 years and loved that we can pull over, have lunch, use the restroom etc any time we want. In these days of covid, it's very nice to have your own facilities available whenever you want. We have access to everything with the slides in, except our clothes closets.

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not retired here, and generally heading to destinations 15-20 times annually, up to 1200 miles one-way. While I'm not the road warrior I once was, I'm still Ok doing 800 to even up to 1000 miles a day (example: Daytona to home in NJ - about 16 hours - leave at 5:30am and arrive home at 9:30pm).

We also like state and national park campgrounds, just about all that were originally constructed 60-80 years ago. Our 24' Class C does nothing exceptionally well, but isn't bad at anything either, and allows us to pretty much get into any place we choose.

It's a small house on a heavier E450 chassis, with shock and sway bar upgrades, so unless dealing with 30-40mph wind gusts, it drives reaally well. Those stiff springs do make it ride hard, but for me the trade-off is worth it. We have plenty of tank capacity to dry camp 5-6 days, and just enough living space along with plenty of storage.

We'll likely be replacing it in a few years, and are currently struggling with what to get. Likely might be almost the exact same thing, just with a slide, to fix that -just enough- interior room.

Whenever we are inside a pusher, the real estate is awesome, but there's no way one of them could get into the types of off-the-beaten path parks and forest service areas we enjoy.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVing is all about concessions and preferences. We had Class A gassers before our FW and while they were nice for short trips, they completely wore me out on long drives. I don't care what you do to a F53 chassis, they are loud and have poor road manners. That said, we loved all the conveniences of a rolling apartment. The use of the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom TV, etc, all while underway. As far as passenger travel it simply doesn't get any better. A DP would have made it more enjoyable for the driver I am sure. But our new truck is way more comfy to drive towing the FW. It's a passenger vehicle and behaves like one and has all the modern safety features that motor homes lack. I could drive it all day. But we now have to stop to use the bathroom (although this doesn't change for the driver no matter what you have). We can pack food etc, and tablets for entertainment for passengers so it's not too bad. At a rest stop we still have access to the FW, just a matter of exiting one vehicle and entering the RV. A truck's comfort level and road manners can't be beat. You trade off some conveniences for that. A nice DP is probably the best of both worlds, but for us it didn't make sense financially since I needed a new truck anyway.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 32 ft Class A which I consider the ideal length for how I camp, NFS, NP, COE, and SP's in that order. I tow a Toyota Corolla that I can explore the surrounding areas in that get 40 mpgs. I have put over 100,000 miles on the MH, Alaska being the farthest trip. I have never had to made a reservation yet in 15 years. The only down side of a large Class A is finding a shop to work on it in the summer when it breaks down, most truck shops don't want to work on motorhomes and Chevy and Ford dealers don't have the facilities. In the summer everyone travels and less populated states away from cities don't have the infrastructure to support the excess travelers when they breakdown. As to what MH I would want next would be a 24 ft Class A, but can't find one so started looking at a 24 ft Class C's. The C is lower with less visibility and the Ford driver side is cramped compared to my A, but every thing is a tradeoff. The size would open up many more camping spots and for one or two nights per stop I would try a cross country trip without a tow car and just use an electric bike to explore the surrounding area.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never regretted any RV we've bought, including the "fixer uppers", because we knew what we were buying before we wrote the check.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 36 ft DSDP for 18 years and went over the US except the northeast. See signature for particulars. Never found anything we liked better

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Long trips
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.