Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Living with only one arm
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Living with only one arm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prayers for you. nerve damages, mostly on left side of body from 2012 and from Nam a long time ago.
Not as serious as you but I remember better times.
Christmas Tree is up and I leave it on all the time really brightens up the main area.
Got to get some deer feed they liven up the place as do the family of cats..outside.
Got a nice non itchy Santa hat. I like Santa but no passing out money and other things.It only feels good if not caught.
A nursing home nearby, if I get up to it take some fruit and such.
The joy of the season is partially in the giving the doing for others as secret Elves of Santa and for the Master.
Don't have to be able to play pro ball.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's amazing what folks can do when they have to. A friend of mine lost his right arm and left leg in Iraq. Raising 3 wonderful children with an amazing wife. What this guy can do, and how he does it, will blow your mind.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Prayers for you. nerve damages, mostly on left side of body from 2012 and from Nam a long time ago.
Not as serious as you but I remember better times.
Christmas Tree is up and I leave it on all the time really brightens up the main area.
Got to get some deer feed they liven up the place as do the family of cats..outside.
Got a nice non itchy Santa hat. I like Santa but no passing out money and other things.It only feels good if not caught.
A nursing home nearby, if I get up to it take some fruit and such.
The joy of the season is partially in the giving the doing for others as secret Elves of Santa and for the Master.
Don't have to be able to play pro ball.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Easter bunny told me Santa isn't real...neither is the tooth fairy! [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can feel for you,about 20 years ago during a surgery my radial nerve was damaged resulting in the loss of the use of my left hand and control of the arm. Thru 20 months of therapy I regained about 80% of the use of it. The hand is still numb in places and I have to exercise it all the time or it will atrophy.

During the therapy sessions most of people in my group were stroke victims,we all had the same exercises and recovery was better for me.

I also was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation about 10 years ago,and was told that stroke was a possability and after going thru that therapy and rehab I wanted no part of that,so I took the blood thinners and all the other medications and am symptom free.

So my advice is if you have A Fib take your meds including those blood thinners or you may end up as Mr Ed did when he did not follow his Dr advice, Because he refused to take that "Rat Poison"

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been friends with a Canadian snowbird we met several years ago in Arizona. I still marvel at what he can do. He lost his right arm in an accident when he was 17 years old. He is now in his 80's . He was actually a heavy equipment operator , and owned his own company. When he retired ,he bought a motorhome, and did the snowbird thing for years, hooking up the toad etc. He has since the last two or three years stayed in Canada ,mostly from just getting older.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

We have been friends with a Canadian snowbird we met several years ago in Arizona. I still marvel at what he can do. He lost his right arm in an accident when he was 17 years old. He is now in his 80's . He was actually a heavy equipment operator , and owned his own company. When he retired ,he bought a motorhome, and did the snowbird thing for years, hooking up the toad etc. He has since the last two or three years stayed in Canada ,mostly from just getting older.

I'm glad your friend can do as well with his Rving as you say. I also have use of only one arm (right) and partial use of left leg. I decided that two arms are necessary for a lot of chores when full timing, and having a bum left leg didn't help, either. So, as I stated earlier, it was necessary to give up my full time traveling home. Besides, I could no longer drive my stick shift Dodge 3500 diesel truck with only right arm and leg (left leg couldn't be lifted high enough to operate the clutch and couldn't grab steering wheel with left hand while shifting).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Living with only one arm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.