Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Tire pressure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFAIK, the same type tire recommendation was a left over of between bias ply and radials from when radials were the new thing.
Run both tires at the maximum rating of the less capable tire. Change out the lesser for a matching higher level tire when you can.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

jornvango

Full-time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: I replaced the other tire too so now have two load range E tires on the Casita.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smart.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jornvango wrote:

Update: I replaced the other tire too so now have two load range E tires on the Casita.

Weigh your rig and use the weight/inflation chart to determine PROPER inflation and add 5psi to what the chart says.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/20 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea of the weight rating of the trailer, however.... and especially with only one axle I would replace both wit the next size wheel diameter and the next size up tire size and Weight and speed rating...on heavier aluminum wheels, not steel. If you have15 inch rims go to 16s even 17s and D weight rating tire go to at least G rating, as long as they clear the fenders. Ride height increase of 1 inch will not affect anything. Michelin LT tires have long tire life ratings and warranties and uv resistance. I found out what the hot thin air desert sun can do on the right front tire, at 3500 ft last year.... And in 2002 to perhaps 2004 lost all four, not at one time, tires on two axles of a boat trailer. Cheap Goodyear Wranglers at the time, from sun and Armorall.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One axle with two different tire types/load ranges/tread design is a braking safety issues...especially a hard braking event on wet pavement. One tire with the better traction will lock up causing flat spotting... or control loss depending on situations.
Multiaxle trailers have a need for max sidewall pressure (stress from side scrubbing). A single axle has no side scrub issues and no need for max sidewall pressure in this situation.
The trailer came with load C at 50 psi which is a good fit for lightweight trailers. Now 80 psi tires are mounted. I use P tires on single axles for better long term wear and performance.
Using 80 psi can cause the tires to balloon the center of the tread and doesn't allow full tread contact leading to less braking performance. There are reasons for OEM C load tires on light weight vehicles.

If you don't want to weigh the trailer use its GVWR and divide by two. Now find your a tire pressure load chart and use that as a base and fine tune with a chalk mark across the tread. Pull the trailer in a straight line for a couple of blocks. Add or reduce psi for a even wear across the tread.
This is a old method we used when only a few tire dealers had tire load/pressure charts.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I have no idea of the weight rating of the trailer, however.... and especially with only one axle I would replace both wit the next size wheel diameter and the next size up tire size and Weight and speed rating...on heavier aluminum wheels, not steel. If you have15 inch rims go to 16s even 17s and D weight rating tire go to at least G rating, as long as they clear the fenders. Ride height increase of 1 inch will not affect anything. Michelin LT tires have long tire life ratings and warranties and uv resistance. I found out what the hot thin air desert sun can do on the right front tire, at 3500 ft last year.... And in 2002 to perhaps 2004 lost all four, not at one time, tires on two axles of a boat trailer. Cheap Goodyear Wranglers at the time, from sun and Armorall.

Single axle trailer and "G" tires???????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.