Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Latest Dish News Blackout ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw on tv this morning that Dish is fighting with the NFL for viewing rights. On the bright side DirectTv put the NFL Sunday Ticket on my plan for free! 20+ years on DirectTv, call them once a year and get my bill lowered. This year I’m paying $90 a month.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Solo

NE Kansas/Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

This BS no longer bothers me. I cut the cable a year ago and went ota.
No regrets.

That's great for you, and a great dream for the rest of us. As an RVer, I OFTEN find my OTA options limited or non-existent. It depends upon where you are parked.

Agreed, Bill. We have spent months this past year in locations where the only way to receive a commercial broadcast was via our satellite (No cell service or WIFI and certainly no OTA channels). Cord cutting is not an option for us because of where we spend much of our time. We are watching the latest contract negotiations and anticipate that Dish will likely loose the right to broadcast the NEXSTAR stations after mid-night tonight while they continue the fight.

Our solution if this happens, we are RVers and will contact Dish and change service location so that we can receive locals. Check NEXSTAR channels in your spot beam and see if you cannot simply change your locals available from the spot beam you are currently in to another market not owned by NEXSTAR. For us right now, we could select two other markets not owned by NEXSTAR and so therefore will not be affected by the possible blackout. Check NEXSTAR Markets and then check the coverage of the Dish spot beam you are currently in. I'll contact Dish via chat and change my locals to an area not affected by the blackout. Doesn't change the fact that Dish may buckle under to the NEXSTAR demands and pay their ransom and then in turn raise the subscription rate but, temporary coverage of all of the 4 TLN at least while they continue the fight.

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And just like that, DirectTv loses NBC.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have done it, my favorite channels now gone off DISH. Thanks Nextel!

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

The only channel blacked out here is WGN, so what, that can keep it. Someone has to attempt to resist the strong arming, which is just for show anyway, as the annual $5 per month increase comes @ March.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Houston we have lost 11 CBS on DTV. No worries, it's still available OTA, Just can't use my DVR on CBS for awhile. I'll live!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

The only channel blacked out here is WGN, so what, that can keep it. Someone has to attempt to resist the strong arming, which is just for show anyway, as the annual $5 per month increase comes @ March.

Here I have lost WGN, they are trying to be another News Station, like we need another, and the local NBC. We don't watch NBC much either. They have become All Reality TV. Unfortunately, we are too far away for OTA. But this too shall pass. We can always switch from Tampa to Orlando and get back all but WGN. Chuck

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dish Now Missing 236 Channels Due to Fee Fights.

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/12/05/dish-now-missing-236-channels-due-to-fee-fights/

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/12/05/dish-now-missing-236-channels-due-to-fee-fights/

Not anywhere near as bad as it sounds. 212 of those are local netowrk affiliates in local markets on the spot beams. At most a subscriber may be out 2 or 3 channels, most subscribers only 1. This is not new news. It happens multiple times per year and happens on cable systems also. Much ado about nothing. Dish should stand up and tell them to pound salt.

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Most aren't worth watching anyway. I haven't missed anything since they dropped a few here in Tampa. They are not missing 236 channels from our available channels. Only about 3. So this headline is very misleading. These channels affect 115 markets or a little more than 2 channels per market on average. Not exactly earth-shattering. Chuck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.