Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Latest Dish News Blackout ???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The FCC or Congress could stop these retransmission disputes from using the viewers as hostages by allowing the service providers to use out of market stations during blackouts.

[emoticon]

You do realize that FCC AND Congress ALLOWED this to happen by changing the rules/laws to allow OTA TV stations to DEMAND "payment" to those stations in order for Cable AND Satellite providers to be able to rebroadcast those Stations?

Station owners felt they were being "cheated" out of revenue as Cable and Sat markets grew and lobbied to get a ruling in favor of the TV station owners..

Additionally, you do realize that in most areas of the US you CAN also BYPASS the dish or cable and view the OTA channels DIRECTLY without the middle man?

Just takes a OTA antenna and flipping your TV to OTA channels.. Not impossible and you WILL get a much better pix in full HD (you only get SD OTA channel quality on Dish)..

Not to mention using OTA you get the additional SUBCHANNELS of each OTA broadcast channel.. Dish does not provide those channels and I suspect neither does Direct or most cable systems..

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The FCC or Congress could stop these retransmission disputes from using the viewers as hostages by allowing the service providers to use out of market stations during blackouts.

[emoticon]

You do realize that FCC AND Congress ALLOWED this to happen by changing the rules/laws to allow OTA TV stations to DEMAND "payment" to those stations in order for Cable AND Satellite providers to be able to rebroadcast those Stations?

Station owners felt they were being "cheated" out of revenue as Cable and Sat markets grew and lobbied to get a ruling in favor of the TV station owners..

Additionally, you do realize that in most areas of the US you CAN also BYPASS the dish or cable and view the OTA channels DIRECTLY without the middle man?

Just takes a OTA antenna and flipping your TV to OTA channels.. Not impossible and you WILL get a much better pix in full HD (you only get SD OTA channel quality on Dish)..

Not to mention using OTA you get the additional SUBCHANNELS of each OTA broadcast channel.. Dish does not provide those channels and I suspect neither does Direct or most cable systems..

Except for the millions of us that are too far from any broadcasting towers to receive OTA. Chuck

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

Except for the millions of us that are too far from any broadcasting towers to receive OTA. Chuck

For yrs, I had a brother that lived in extreme rural VT..

Only got two stations and one was from NY and he had antenna on 40ft of mast to get that..

His family survived without "TV" and did OTHER things with their life than sit and watch all of that junk the "networks" foist on people as "entertainment".

I personally have zero use for the "big three" networks, their news is garbage and their programming is garbage.

Heck I only watch one local channel just for the "weather" then turn it off but yet I CAN get the SAME weather reports via Internet without the use of a TV.. Most of the big three networks now days do stream their news.. and I have no use for watching sports or "made for TV" reality shows.

And by the way, IF you use a better antenna than a RV antenna, you will find a lot more stations even in the middle of "no where". My sticks and bricks is 60 miles from the nearest OTA broadcast tower and with a 8ft long antenna mounted 10 ft above the ground with a 20 DB gain preamp I can get well over 30 different OTA channels plus the sub channels.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This BS no longer bothers me. I cut the cable a year ago and went ota.
No regrets.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What gets me is that DISH, Direct and my local cable extend the coverage for the TLN's (three Letter Networks) so why are the networks not paying the delivery services instead of the other way around????

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I personally have zero use for the "big three" networks, their news is garbage and their programming is garbage.”

How can you say this, GDE? For instance Ted Danson’s new network show is “Mr. Mayor,” a comedy on how fun it is to be a big city mayor...with a small child daughter. I just can’t wait!

Foist? lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well said Gdetrailer and I agree with you about all the junk programing that I boycott as much as possible. I am also a proud cord cutter.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

This BS no longer bothers me. I cut the cable a year ago and went ota.
No regrets.

That's great for you, and a great dream for the rest of us. As an RVer, I OFTEN find my OTA options limited or non-existent. It depends upon where you are parked. I am 65 and watch TV continuously when home in the RV (yes, the RV is home). I want to watch what I want to watch and not what happens to be available. I do this by having lots of programming recorded in case satellite is not available and paying for satellite so I can watch anything, anywhere the other 99.9% of the time. No matter where I am I still like to try to find local OTA news as it can be quite entertaining and it will give me the best weather forecast. I do have DNS service with DirecTV so I always have full Network programming no matter where we stop which not all RVers have available depending upon the service they are using.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DTV provides all my needs, including LA locals which work everywhere. I really like Forensic Files and Law and Order. Today was one of those beautiful days when I shot the 101 in under one minute. Sometime I can't aim it in a hour!

* This post was edited 11/30/20 04:37pm by 2oldman *

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

[emoticon]

Of course I realize who caused the problem. That's why I said they would have to be the ones to fix it.

If OTA channels were reliably available everywhere there would be no need for the satellite or cable services to carry them. Since that's not the case, we have to live with these periodic outages that will only get worse as the channel owners get greedier. I do have alternate sources available for the networks and most local news is carried online in one or more formats. So for me, the outages are an annoyance, but not a loss.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Latest Dish News Blackout ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.