cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV roof UV coating. Worth it?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
An accident has our 5er in the shop. They are trying to sell me roof UV coating while it's there. My research tells me the stuff is cheap, way cheaper than they are wanting and doable by me. Feedback would be appreciated. TIA
Puma 30RKSS
10 REPLIES 10

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
What are they proposing to use. Could be a scam of using something as simple as 303.

A simple mild soap and water wash and spray down with 303 is cheap insurance. If the trailer is parked out in the SW sun, twice a year would be good.

This is true to a point. It was my method for over eleven years. Preventative maintenance. Even this year when I recoated the roof it was, I guess by the standards of some, in good condition. The 'roof pox' was not severe.

I looks good now. Hopefully it won't need another coating in the time left that I own it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everybody.
Puma 30RKSS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zero need. EPDM and TPO roof systems will last longer than most of the trailers they are installed upon. The problem areas are the seals and seams with the sidewall. If you are spending money on your roof, spend it getting new caulk installed. UV coatings are wasted money. They are designed to handle the UV light.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I even had a dealer tell me one time that all of those coatings are a huge moneymaker for them. Reflective coating really does work, though. I used Henry 587 on my roof and we got to Arizona in early October this year when I was still over 100 and the single 15 KAC did a great job and had long off cycles.The roof is still white, like before, but there must be tiny mirrors in the coatingโ€ฆ Ha! Henry 887 is supposed to be better yet. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hengโ€™s works for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
What are they proposing to use. Could be a scam of using something as simple as 303.

A simple mild soap and water wash and spray down with 303 is cheap insurance. If the trailer is parked out in the SW sun, twice a year would be good.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As said, itโ€™s an easy do-it-yourself job. Since my TT is only 7.5 feet wide, I do it from a ladder.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Whatever, the roof should be thoroughly cleaned before anything goes on it. That will be 75% of the work right there.

Do it yourself. If the roof is in decent condition & only a few years old 303 will do. If it is 5-10 years old & had alot of sun exposure a recoating with something for the roof type will be the way to go.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what material is your roof? much profit for company
bumpy

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine once a year.
I wash it first and then put on the coating with a sponge mop.
It is an easy job and you can get the coating at most RV dealers by the gallon

Guy