Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Broken Leaf Springs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken Leaf Springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that I would want to travel with broken springs very far, it's good to know you can travel a ways to get where it's safer to make the repair rather than trying to do it on the side of the road while traffic speeds by.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

How far can you travel on a broken leaf spring?

In 2011, I first noticed my trailer leaning to one side in Bosque del Apache, New Mexico. (I thought the campsite was just a bit off level.) I drove 850 miles to home with two camps along the way. Only when I got home did I notice a broken spring. (Was I just stupid? Yes, but then I was pretty new to RVing.)

I upgraded all springs from 6000 lbs/axle to 7000 lbs/axle (actual axle weight is just under 5000 lbs) and have had no more spring problems. I don't know what bumps feel like in the trailer, but at least it has shocks.

It depends upon which spring is broken. If it is the main/bottom spring with the eyes that connect to the shackle.......it will be OK until the first good brake application. Then that end of the axle will move rearward, probably allowing the tire to contact things you would rather it not! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the first account of broken springs on an RV. Properly made and sized this should never happen. When we had our Holiday Rambler the subject caused me to inspect the axles, springs etc. It was 2002 model. Everything was fine. But getting the units out the door was/ is first quality is second on many models. I'm surprised as injury, death, destroyed RV and Tow Vehicle and lawsuits is probably a consequence, in some cases. Ours had shocks which stops a lot of motion and keeps dishes in the cupboard, and springs in perhaps violent rebound.
I don't know if yours has shocks, but suspect most new ones now do. If you determine the spring broke of its own accord replace them all with American springs. ...and put on shock mounting kits. We sue to have a spring shop in the next city over, and they could calculate what the spring rate and spring was needed and build sets themselves. The shackles may need replacing, with larger ones requiring welding perhaps...and use urethane bushings instead of rubber. On our Motor home the rubber bushings on the sway bar were destroyed in no time.
When we unpacked the coach, I estimate at least a thousand pounds of stuff accumulated over the years.Add a thousand or more to your RV weight on the plate, and you may want to change wheels and tires too. We did.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When was the last time you took a trip and your car was disabled because a spring broke? If you are worried that might happen with your RV, you bought the wrong RV.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

When was the last time you took a trip and your car was disabled because a spring broke? If you are worried that might happen with your RV, you bought the wrong RV.

Since there are only a few manufactures of axles and springs serving the RV industry the quality is the same regardless of price. I think you will find cheap Chinese steel in all the springs is the root cause of the failures.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often?
I am 70
have had one old car with a broken leaf spring
one Dodge B250 Maxi Van also aged
And helped one RVER replace a broken leaf.

That's the entire list of springs I've replaced.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the '70s when most OTR trucks where spring ride truck owners that where leased to the company I was kept spare springs at some of the terminals where we had to lay over. (Wichita, there was a hole in parking lot, drop wheels in that hole could change without a jack) Now when we where waiting for a load, the tractors where driven all over town just like a car. Most of the springs that broke we where bobtailing. I would often run over the rating on axles. That would cause springs to loose there arch, and wear hangers and other things, but never broke the spring. Of course, when they lost their arch I would replace, because I don't want to look fat, so that might be a issue with RVs

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

car springs vs trailer axle springs...apples vs pickles.
Two completely different operating environments. Our cars/trucks with rear leaf springs simply follow around corners with little if any side loads.
We all know the tremendous side loading conventional trailers leaf spring operate in.

Some trailer newbs have said they place a bottle jack under the spring to jack that wheel. Doing so can crack that spring or stress that spot and break later down the road.

There are several reasons a spring may crack. I've had my share of trailer suspension issues in the '70s and '80s when I hauled for a living. Crack or broken springs happen.

With the availability of trailer suspension parts I don't carry suspension parts now nor back in the day. Waste of time...money....and a paying payload cheater.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap Chinese Springs on Trailers do not equate with American car springs but..I have broken springs, the right side on drag cars but they were pushing2,00 hp and slicks. I've seen a several old cars with broken front coil springs over 72 years.
I don't have any book marks or anything but do remember reading of some broken trailer springs here overtime. Quite a few problems with broken shackles and worn out spring bushings...because or inadequate pieces for the weight and conditions of use Chinese axle bearings such as those I had to remove and replace, with races of two pieces not even meeting in the middle and broken roller bearings. That was on a two axle boat trailer.
The current state of affairs I'm not up on as I don't own a new or old towable now.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know from this and other forums that spring packs fail, but I don't think it's a frequent problem. I would probably carry one spare pack and a set of shackles and bolts with me if I went to Alaska, but I don't in the lower 38.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken Leaf Springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.