cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any runners around the campfire?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m realizing that I’m about 40 lbs overweight and at 57 if I don’t do something to get in shape now it’s very unlikely to happen when I get older. So a few weeks ago I started running. Yesterday I got a heart rate monitor and went for a run. I trotted along for a mile, took a little break then jogged slowly for two more miles before taking another little break. Then I increased my speed a bit and ran my forth mile in about 8.5 minutes. For about the last quarter mile I was gasping to get enough air. Anyway I figured if I do a workout like that 2 or 3 times per week I should be able to get in shape before too long. Here is what my heart rate monitor shows.

I read somewhere that a person should workout at about 50 to 85% of his maximum heart rate which would put me at about 85 to 146 bpm. It turns out a significant portion of my run was at too high of intensity. So what? If I continue at this rate will I not get in shape sooner? What would be the downside of working too hard?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
21 REPLIES 21

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:
...My advice don't grow old ;)Mike
Well, consider the alternative. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seeing this thread brought up again might be just what I need to get remotivated. I was running three or four days per week up until about six weeks ago when I got kind of busy with other stuff and ditched the running all together.
B&W Companion

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
"Any runners around the campfire"

how about walkers?

I now have both knee and heel spurs, just finished with 1st foot surgery, 2nd planned in 2 weeks. I do a lot of walking with over a minimum of 3 miles per day. I have no choice to do it because I have thyroid disease. I've been Gluten free for 3 yrs just to keep my weight in check, eat 1 regular meal per day. My advice don't grow old 😉

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Due too lots of abuse in my youth I don't run.....worn out knees/fused ankles

2 yrs ago SHE took a picture on me on my new riding lawnmower
When I saw it I asked "WHO IS THAT BIG FAT GUY?"
I weighed 385#
At 6'2" I had never weighed more then 220#....YIKES!

So went on a Low Carb Diet....never realized just how hard it was to find food that was NOT FULL of carbs
Anyway...year later I weighed 265#

Then had to have numerous bowl surgeries...final one was last month (6th one)
I still weigh 265# .....now that I have recovered I will start loosing more weight

Not sure how....but it will not be running
Fused ankles makes it tough to walk LOL
Might give bicycling a try
Not sure how it would work with fused ankles, but you might look into stationary rowing. Excellent exercise that works large areas of the body. Upper body workout unlike bicycling which is all legs. And very low stress too.

Check out Concept2 stationary rowers. And excellent motivational tools available at the website. They are great people.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Due too lots of abuse in my youth I don't run.....worn out knees/fused ankles

2 yrs ago SHE took a picture on me on my new riding lawnmower
When I saw it I asked "WHO IS THAT BIG FAT GUY?"
I weighed 385#
At 6'2" I had never weighed more then 220#....YIKES!

So went on a Low Carb Diet....never realized just how hard it was to find food that was NOT FULL of carbs
Anyway...year later I weighed 265#

Then had to have numerous bowl surgeries...final one was last month (6th one)
I still weigh 265# .....now that I have recovered I will start loosing more weight

Not sure how....but it will not be running
Fused ankles makes it tough to walk LOL
Might give bicycling a try
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

several bowl surgeries ??  I lost 45 lbs back in 2021 and had 2 bowl surgeries after....  WTH??  I have since gained some back and sitting right around 240 and not happy. I keep thinking about what happened last time I lost weight.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I never ran around a campfire, for fear I might fall in. :B

Kidding aside, I did some running in my younger years but eventually turned to walking, bike riding, and hiking since I felt those activities would be less stressful on joints. When I was in the Marines, in my 20's, I could run many miles in combat boots and feel no pain. Prefect health doesn't last forever, so that's why I decided to be proactive and take to less strenuous activities in my later years. I was actively walking and hiking up 'till age 70 when a stroke put the kybosh on those activities. Now, over 6 years later, My walking consists of very short distances using a quad cane. The rest of the time, it's a wheelchair. I fully believe, if it wasn't for the sudden handicap, I'd still be performing those same activities into the indefinite future. 🙂
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be as follows - first, get a good pair of running shoes. You will be amazed at the difference - like no shin splints. Then, invest in one of the nicer FitBits - or some other activity tracking watch. The reason I say Fitbit is that you can pair it with an app called MyFitnessPal. This app lets you track your food intake. I found that if I enter what I eat, it actually helps me eat less which is also something you want to consider as it makes no sense to burn all those calories, only to put them back in. The app also gives you the ability to scan bar codes on foods and beverages and automatically add in the data. The app calculates the calories burned by the activity it is tracking than subtracts the calories of the food you intake.

If you don't get regular checkups/physicals, it may be a good idea to make an appointment and get a workup. When you get winded, maybe scale back to a brisk walk until you catch your breath. Better yet, do interval training where you run for so many minutes and then walk for so many minutes. Some apps have a interval training function.

Also, realize that stuff is going to hurt - joints and muscles are not used to what you are asking of them - but the good news is that as you loose weight and gain muscle, this will get better.

Good for you and good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
The biggest part of the problem trying to loose weight isn't exercising, it's consuming less. Food in equals calories, those not burned turn to fat. If you keep eating the same amount, you're not really winning. Like shooting yourself in the foot to kill the ant under your shoe.
Don't believe the "I'm still hungry", that's only a state of mind. You can overcome that.

Absolutely. And I also agree that doing an exercise you can at least tolerate makes all the difference in the world. I worked with a well-educated trainer for a couple of years so my advice comes from experience with him as well as what I've experienced. It's truly a lifestyle change-cutting back on your food intake, paying attention to what you eat-and when you eat it-are very important. Don't skip meals-eat lightly if you aren't that hungry. When you don't eat your body goes into panic mode and starts hoarding fat. You don't have to cut out carbs completely to lose weight-cutting back is usually sufficient. I work my entire body-strength training (good to maintain bone mass), resistance training (helps with glucose management), core stability (balance) and cardio (heart health). Used to go to the gym 3 times/week but that stopped with COVID. Have home gym equipment on order-can't wait for it to come in-someday LOL! I just recently saw an orthopedic for a knee issue and he also recommended no running because it is too hard on the joints. My husband's former manager said that the hardest thing about working out is putting your sneakers on. You've done that and then some. Best of luck!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I resemble your remarks! I was getting to old and slow for hockey so turned to running and now at 68 I'm running half marathons.

For weight loss you will want to run in your "aerobic zone" and run longer distances. Pushing at 85% is great, once a week when used in interval training. Seriously, come up with a training program that will help you stay focused and give you more running health bang for your buck.

My wife and I both train together where we have a day for interval training, a day for our long run and put in what we call "junk miles" in the days inbetween. Note that running every day is not such a bright idea since the body requires rest between those workouts that tax the body. On our junk mile days we're running what is known as a recovery pace; slow enough and short enough distance that it gets the blood moving and allows the muscles to recover.

For such a simple sport there is a lot to it that doesn't meet the eye, or expectations. There are many books on the subject and I advise you pick up a few. They all coach the same things from varying points of view. Sadly, most authors are Olympic runners/coaches whose expectations and workouts are geared more for pro athletes - but the science still applies, just not the speeds/distance. Here are some book suggestions:

Plenty of running resources on the web. Check out Active.com and Runner's World.

We haven't even gotten into shoes yet! I'll have a lot to say when we get to that topic!

BTW, your sub 9 minute mile pace is pretty impressive and bodes well for your running future, especially if you decide to jump into a 5K or 10K race :B
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
I used to be !
5K's, 10K's, half marathon and triathalons. Then I ran my knee into the ground and had a replacement. The doctor that did the surgery said "do not ever run again, or I'll be right back for another replacement.
Then it was hard core cycling which I love. I did century rides and metric sentries. From there I went on to canoe and kayaking and not only for pleasure but for racing. Now in my mid eighties, my wife and I both love to ride the bikes at a leisure pace, and still race the canoes and kayaks. Unfortunately this year all the races have been canceled so we just have been "lilly dipping "
Hopefully all will be back to normal next year

Guy

Nothing beats canoeing on a nice day..... Can you bring beer when racing? We don't go often. Once a year we load up the canoes behind the fiver and go for a weekend canoe trip.

Sure, but if you miss a stroke with that bent shaft paddle, the boat that has been drafting you is bound to make their move

Guy

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like that advise Doc .... I can move pretty good on a Honda.:)
B&W Companion

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
In the Doctoring biz, the answer to the which exercise is best Doc? The answer is, which ever one the patient will do. My advise don't get to hung up on what the so called experts say. Just do something, and do what it is you like.

Just Move!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:
Two years ago I started walking 5000+ steps/day and cut the bread intake.
I have dropped over 50 lbs and feel great. The downside was updating my whole wardrobe... I'm not a shopper.

Congratulations Fizz. Loosing 50 lbs is fantastic and sticking with the program is even a greater accomplishment.
B&W Companion