cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting close to a TT

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
So I am taking delivery of my F350 tomorrow. I am looking to move pretty soon on a Rockwood 2911BS (~10k GVW). Playing a few dealers against each-other and doing pretty well with that.

Question(s):

- One dealer is throwing in a Husky Centerline hitch, is this worth it for $400 installed?
- No w/d hookup, should I be able to do this myself? I have worked in construction and am pretty handy.
- How important is the dealer I am buying from? Should I ask them particular questions?
- They all have a "starter kit" for about $200 (30a/50a adapters, sewer hose and some other stuff), should I bother with that or get all my own stuff?

Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
blaczero wrote:
thanks for all the input so far, still working with a few dealers to figure out the best price, Terrytown RV, Cheasaco RV and Lazydays in FL

Good luck with those clowns. They're perhaps more shady than camping world which is a feat in itself.

campingalan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
This RV wonโ€™t fit in many state and federal campgrounds. If thatโ€™s ok with you, it looks nice.

Good evening. What do you recommend as a length to stay under to achieve staying at those places?
2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal 320DBHS (SOLD):(
1996 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
7.4l, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1200LB Reese WDH w/Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
blaczero wrote:
Sorry, W/D as in washer dryer hookup.

If you need a rig that can accommodate a washer and dryer, and this one your looking at doesn't have them, I'd find a rig that has the washer / dryer hookups already present.
Running a new electrical line from the distribution panel will be almost impossible and have it look nice.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, W/D as in washer dryer hookup.

There is a 2nd door entrance to the master, which we could just put the washer/dryer in front of and I could put my own hookups in. The bathroom is just on the other side of the wall.

Water is easy, just not sure about the venting, what I can drill through, etc.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Do you really need a fancy hitch with a F-350 ? As someone else asked , W/D , washer -dryer ?

Whenever I see "WD" or "W/D" I always think of "weight distributing", like a WD hitch.

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 39' TT with an F350, it may not need the weight distribution so much, but sway control can be an issue in wind. I am really happy with my Anderson hitch, it helps a little with weight distribution, does a great job with sway.
As far as being over length in older RV parks. I have been told parks have nothing for my rig length, but I have been easily able to back into sites and leave my tail overhanging the "parking" area and been just fine.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really need a fancy hitch with a F-350 ? As someone else asked , W/D , washer -dryer ?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Husky Centerline WDH. $400 new is a decent price. They should perform the initial installation, watch them to understand how it is done and review the manual to see how well they followed Huskyโ€™s instructions. Make sure the WDH is rated for the range of the TT GVWR & 15% of that for tongue weight rating. Itโ€™s not rocket science. You do need some big sockets and wrenches and a flat level spot for measurements. My dealer had a concrete pad extended out from the concrete shop floor for this. This hitch is NOISY on right angle turns, sometimes sounds like breaking metal! Great sway control in winds.
Get the list of items in the starter kit. You can price them out on Amazon or even Walmart.com. Iโ€™ve normally seen the starter kit included in the negotiated sales price of the TT and not a separate line item.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the input so far, still working with a few dealers to figure out the best price, Terrytown RV, Cheasaco RV and Lazydays in FL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Donโ€™t understand. Theyโ€™re including a Husky wdh but not hooking it up? Or did you mean w/d washer/ dryer? Lol
Regardless, Iโ€™d tow that thing naked first and see how it does. 1000-1300lb tongue weight will just improve the ride of a 1 ton truck. And the factory hitches are rated for 1800lbs tongue weight, load carrying, so not even close to maxing out the hitch or anything else.
Donโ€™t get sucked into the โ€œyou need a wdh no matter whatโ€ mentality. You can always add it later.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
You may feel good about your playing the dealers buy they are not in Business to lose money especially in the current sellers market and the cost of what they are giving you is built in to their price but as long as you feel good about the purchase they have done their job , good luck and enjoy your adventure.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
blaczero wrote:
- One dealer is throwing in a Husky Centerline hitch, is this worth it for $400 installed?
- No w/d hookup, should I be able to do this myself? I have worked in construction and am pretty handy.
- How important is the dealer I am buying from? Should I ask them particular questions?
- They all have a "starter kit" for about $200 (30a/50a adapters, sewer hose and some other stuff), should I bother with that or get all my own stuff?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the Husky Centerline hitch -- does it come with weight distribution? Seems really odd that the dealer would not sell you a hitch with W/D. Yes you can install the hitch and/or hitch parts yourself... most dealers do it for you. You will probably want to adjust the hitch after a couple camping trips depending on how you load your truck and trailer.

What exactly does the "starter kit" include? There is a very slight possibility it may be worth it. When we bought our TT, the starter kit was included at no extra cost - and it was cheap! But it got us camping for a couple trips while I figured out what I really wanted. You are going to want a 30/50 adapter, sewer hose, etc.

If a dealer will include stuff for "free" (yea, I know that is a flexible word...) go ahead and take it.

Do NOT buy too much stuff right away, go on a couple camping trips (near where you live) to figure out what you will actually need.

Good luck, and have fun!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
blaczero wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
A reputable dealer that will give good after sale service and fight for you with manufacturers to get warranty work covered is worth more than any starter kit or hitch. Spend extra for that. Get the rest yourself.

On a side note, there is nothing โ€œultra liteโ€ about that trailer. Thatโ€™s just sales gimmick jargon. I have a similar sized tt and layout with a gvwr not much higher (8k) than that trailers empty weight.

How do I determine which dealer that is? I realize the ultra lite is a joke (at 10k GVW), but found a lot of ppl saying Rockwood is a very good quality trailer. Which do you have?

Thatโ€™s the hard part. I find word of mouth to be best. Even reviews can be tricky as most people only speak up when they have issues vs good experiences. Check with the BBB.

Quality and trailers are two words that donโ€™t seem to go hand in hand much these days. I thought Rockwood was good too and even talked my father into buying one. That was a mistake. First two years it was only used for two months. The rest of the time it was in the shop. New roof, front cap x2, axles and tires, electrical, floor damage from slide outs and much more. It turned into a 5 year nightmare which ended in a lawsuit which was settled for $20k in repairs. Maybe it was built on a Friday of a long weekend. Who knows, others are happy with them. Ours is a Bullet Premier made by Keystone. Weโ€™ve had very few, minor issues in 8 years with it. It seemed of better quality at the time than other brands we considered. A true lightweight at only 6400lbs dry. About 1k less than most comparable trailers.

Nowadays itโ€™s hard to say any brand is better than others. People have good things to say about Grand Design trailers but even their quality has gone down since being bought out by Winnebago. Whatever you choose spend a lot of time doing a thorough PDI and donโ€™t sign anything or leave with it until repairs are made.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has never been back to the selling dealer for service. Look around for an RV repair business that will do Forest River warranty work. Call FR and verify that they will allow you to go there. You should be able to adjust your WD hitch. You probably will do a better job than the dealer will do. Check the sticky in this forum for instructions. Most dealers throw in a starter kit that is mostly junk. Don't buy anything at the dealers inflated prices. Shop online for what you "need".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand