cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV upgrade to Genie 2 in motorhome

chezhead
Explorer
Explorer
I want to be able to install a Hs-17 Genie 2 and a C61K wired and a C61W wireless clients in my motorhome. I currently have an SK 3005 Traveler installed on the motorhome using a HR-24 DVR and a H20 receiver. Winegard is telling me that there is no way to upgrade my SK 3005 and that I'll have to buy a whole new SK SWM3 dish. Is that true? I thought that there was an upgrade kit.
Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2020 Buick Envision Toad
5 REPLIES 5

chezhead
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard is telling me that I need the HS-17 Genie 2 to get 4K. The sales reps appear to want to sell me a new dish rather than give me good answers.....
Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2020 Buick Envision Toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With no need for 4K the HR44 works for us at home and the RV. It's mounted vertically in the back of a cabinet which solves the limited horizontal space in the RV cabinets. The HR54 is similar.

The Genie 2 size, power requirements and cooling seemed probmatical to me for a RV. Not for cabinet installation, must be vertical, needs power and coax wiring and would need to be secured for transport.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds logical but is the SWM LNB a Reverse Band LNB by default or to you have to change that out as well?
I have found the Genie 2 to be less RV worthy than the Genie HR54 that I have so I have never really pursued what or what might not be necessary for the Genie 2. I guess I don't understand how the Genie 2 stand alone server would dramatically improve what's available with a standard Genie / client combo.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

chezhead
Explorer
Explorer
They are telling me that I need a Reverse Band LNB and that is what makes it not work with my SK 3005. Supposedly the logic in the turret won't work with that LNB, nor will the electronics in the controller.

Your thoughts?
Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2020 Buick Envision Toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just adding a SWM8 kit to the SK-3005 should do it. There's nothing special about the Genie 2 compared to the Genie as far as antenna connections are concerned.
I assume you know that the Genie 2 does not connect to a TV so you need the Genie 2 plus a client for each TV.
Did you happen to ask Winegard about the SWM8 kit? They sell it but parts can be found for less online. Be sure that you use the PI29 power inserter. It's possible this could be the complication. I am not sure what power inserter is built into the Genie 2 and if it will pass an external power supply like the standard Genie will.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?