cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Filtration

jcordar2
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a pre-owned DRV MS. I know it has a factory installed water filtration system, but do we need to purchase a separate system to "pre" filter the water? I say yes, hubby says "nah"....
Jane
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are filters, Filters and Filters.. In some cases the filter "Cartridge" can be changed based on the need.... But if you need more than one type of filtering (particulate and chemical for example) yes you may need an additional filter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
By all means get one. Get a big whole house filter such as sold at Lowes and Home Depot. The Culligan at Home Depot with 4x10 in filter and remote sensor is about 70.00, I think fittings and devising a stand to bolt it too are just minor details. Filter media well you will find lot of variety and quality on line.
Believe me if you say in Midwestern RV Park with well water you will see the need.
Those tiny in line filters clog up mighty fast and then bypass dirty water to the faucet again. Your onboard house filter is as good as the media in it but it will cog up fast, in a week atone of those campgrounds too unless a pre filter to catch the most.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever floats your boat. When we first got the factory new 2008 Tiffin 40' Bus, I removed the filter cartridge. Later when I had a chance, I removed the filter body. Sold it 75,000 miles later and bought a brand new 2013 Bus. That cartridge was gone a few minutes after I took delivery. Haven't bothered to remove the filter body. We now have over 110,000 miles on it, from Alaska to the Keys, Maine to the southwest. Waste of effort to bother with the body.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We use campground water system for doing dishes and bathing. All drinking water and coffee water is from 3 gallon jugs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
It depends. What do you want to filter? Sediment from clogging your inlet and faucet screens or drinking water? If sediment I would imagine one pre sediment filter will do. If drinking water, you can add a carbon or catalytic carbon block filter but that won't filter everything. For pure drinking water you need RO and that's not practical for a whole RV. You can install one under the sink.

X2
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Filtering to filter depends on the condition of the water IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
It depends. What do you want to filter? Sediment from clogging your inlet and faucet screens or drinking water? If sediment I would imagine one pre sediment filter will do. If drinking water, you can add a carbon or catalytic carbon block filter but that won't filter everything. For pure drinking water you need RO and that's not practical for a whole RV. You can install one under the sink.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Is there something wrong with the "factory" water filter? If not, probably just replace the filter element.

If there is something wrong with the factory system, then pull it out and replace with a new system. No need to take up space with something that is not working.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldnโ€™t.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's a 'Go' these guys have extended their Black Friday sale through today. 25% off.
At checkout enter: BlackFriday25
www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/rv-water-filters-and-systems-rv-water-filter-store
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights