cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 Chevy Tahoe with 3.0 Diesel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a bad looking SUV with a diesel to boot. Estimated 28 hwy mpg. Probably a great SUV for someone who drives a lot of hwy miles and tows.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
20 REPLIES 20

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I forgot about the timing chain and oil pump nonsense on the diesel. :S

The diesel is off the list; good old GM V8 it is! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a '95 Chevy 1500 with the 6.5 TD and I want to say it got ~21 mpg hwy.

It was the perfect grocery getter.

blt2ski
Grit
94-97 the 6.5 had 185/385 in 8 lugs, 175 /360 in 6 lugs versions. Post 97 the specs you mention.
Reality, depends on year, if a 14 vs 25/35 series.

I did like my 96 with an nv4500. In some ways better than my 05 dully dmax. Others, the 05 nicer.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Electronic injection 6.5 TDs in passenger vehicles were 215/440, so more than yโ€™all are giving them credit for. But still not more power than any of the new 3litre diesels.
Back when forced induction OEM engines were rare, the 6.5 TD was pretty peppy. Had enough boost that you could actually feel it. I never really towed much with them, actually just bought a couple randomly to flip for a profit to folks who wanted a โ€œturbo dieselโ€ and didnโ€™t know what they were getting into....
They were nice to drive though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have one of the last full size blazers with the 6.5 turbo diesels (1994) with around 300,000mi on it and when broke in it got 30mpg and today gets pretty near 27-28mpg. 27 with that little engine is not very impressive.

I think it actually is impressive, since that little engine has considerably more power and torque than your 6.5.

Exactly, 277Hp/460ft/lb vs 175/360 and way fewer emissions.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Carringb I wonder what percentage would be traded before 100k miles? I also wonder what it will do to resell when it approaches the 150K mile mark?

I still have my old Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel and solo hwy it does about 17 mpg. I wonder if Ford will stick the small Diesel in the Expedition to match the GM offerings?

People tend to hold onto trucks far longer than cars, and especially now GM (and probably everybody else) is promoting 84-month financing. But I do agree with re-sale at the 150k mark. That'll likely also follow Audi's lead... Doubly so if we find out in 5 years that the oil pump belt doesn't actually last last long.

I rear last year I think that Ford already cancelled the diesel Expedition, in favor of a hybrid variant. I think that's more appropriate for the typical full-size SUV buyer, who uses it as a minivan 5 days a week for shuttling the kiddos around.
You are probably correct. I was thinking of people like my sister who trade every 2 years regardless of miles. Her last GMC Canyon only had 15k miles when traded.

I on the other hand hold on to vehicles until they approach antique status. Although I've been tempted to trade the old trouble free V-10 for a new 7.3 gas truck. The old V-10 has 215k but will need a new clutch kit one of these days.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have one of the last full size blazers with the 6.5 turbo diesels (1994) with around 300,000mi on it and when broke in it got 30mpg and today gets pretty near 27-28mpg. 27 with that little engine is not very impressive.

I think it actually is impressive, since that little engine has considerably more power and torque than your 6.5.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Carringb I wonder what percentage would be traded before 100k miles? I also wonder what it will do to resell when it approaches the 150K mile mark?

I still have my old Excursion with the 7.3 Diesel and solo hwy it does about 17 mpg. I wonder if Ford will stick the small Diesel in the Expedition to match the GM offerings?

People tend to hold onto trucks far longer than cars, and especially now GM (and probably everybody else) is promoting 84-month financing. But I do agree with re-sale at the 150k mark. That'll likely also follow Audi's lead... Doubly so if we find out in 5 years that the oil pump belt doesn't actually last last long.

I rear last year I think that Ford already cancelled the diesel Expedition, in favor of a hybrid variant. I think that's more appropriate for the typical full-size SUV buyer, who uses it as a minivan 5 days a week for shuttling the kiddos around.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
stsmark wrote:
It is an interesting engine. Seems like more electronic actuators than any other engine that comes to mind. A neighbor has Silverado with it and he tows a pontoon boat or TT with it never had a conversation about though. The EGR tap behind the DPF is clever be interesting to what the insides look like at 100k in terms of soot. Is it a Denso or Bosch fuel sys?

It has a Denso fuel injection system and yes I agree using post DPF exhaust for the EGR system was brilliant. The only thing with this is they are now routing extremely hot exhaust during the regen process into the EGR system, but I think it was a good choice to prevent the EGR valve and cooler from getting plugged with soot.

IMO I still have my concerns for these diesels that are running around town and never run long enough to get hot so a complete regen can occur.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Sweet rig! Letโ€™s see some pics! IMO GMT 400 Blazer/Yukonโ€™s are awesome. Last of a breed after the Bronco and Ramcharger died. But I think youโ€™re living vicariously a bit.
It isimpressive, if you consider the mpg of the 3 litre diesels (all of them) is in the mid to high 20s real world.
You sir also must have a special vehicle. The 6.5s do get good mileage, despite the cluster fark that they are mechanically and electronically. ( The earlier mechanical injection engines were less problematic).
Iโ€™ve had the 6.5 TD both in a 2500 4x4 and 1500 4x4 and 19-21mpg is a much more accurate number for normal โ€œunloadedโ€ driving.
Whereas the 3.0 is 5+ mpg better on average with slightly more power in a package that is half the size.
Iโ€™m one of few that actually somewhat like the old 6.5s, but their day has come and gone and it, bottom line, was GMs (poor) attempt at getting into the diesel truck game.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:

I don't think Ford sees a future with these small diesels for the grocery getter market. They will most likely install their Power Boost hybrid which supposedly gets ~700 miles per tank in the F150.

Not sure I'm sold on the hybrid design either, but we'll see.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bionic Man wrote:

You either have a REAL special vehicle, or your computer is way off and you would be better off hand calculating your mileage. Fuelly says

The only thing special is him.....and thereโ€™s one in every crowd! Lol

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
It is an interesting engine. Seems like more electronic actuators than any other engine that comes to mind. A neighbor has Silverado with it and he tows a pontoon boat or TT with it never had a conversation about though. The EGR tap behind the DPF is clever be interesting to what the insides look like at 100k in terms of soot. Is it a Denso or Bosch fuel sys?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer