Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Strange advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Strange advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Driving a huge trailer too fast on cheap Chinese tires of unknown age, carrying unknown weight, what could possibly go wrong?

X2

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is in fact great advice. here is why

3 Pressures all but guaranteed to be wrong
The pressure on the tire
The pressure the store put in
The pressure on the sticker

One pressure is right and that pressure is based on the weight the wheel is carrying.. So get it weighed.

Too much pressure and the tire does not fully engage the road. This can lead to loss of control and early tire wearout.

Too little and the sidewalls flex too much, also leads to loss of control and tire blowout.

Finally if the rig is overloaded he may need to either UPGRADE wheels or lose weight.. In my case I was able to upgrade tires.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of ST tires are rated for more than 65 mph. Some of you are stuck in the 80's with towing technology, its getting a little annoying. My last trailer had Carlisle Radial Trail HD were rated to 81 mph. My current trailer has GY Endurance is rated to 87 mph. Just because they are ST doesn't mean max speed of 65 mph. Get over it. That said, I don't tow much faster than 68-69 mph because I can't afford the fuel it costs to travel that fast.

Most Chinese tires are under built, in my opinion. Pick up a generic ST tire, then pick up one of the tires I mentioned above. Significant weight difference. Having a tire designed to handle the weight (or much more weight) is ideal. Very few people know how much their trailer weighs. They are likely also running around on tires that are marginally acceptable for the weights. I always buy tires with spare carrying capacity and haven't had a problem yet.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire Rack wrote:

Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. Goodyear Marathon Special Trailer tires, with the “ST” size designation, are speed rated at 65 MPH (105 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I finally got around to looking at the latest Escapee magazine. They have a help columnist in it and he was asked this question(paraphrased):
"We have a giant fiver with four slideouts. We drive six hours a day at 70 mph on the Interstates on GY Marathon tires. We had two blowouts in one day! What is our problem??"
Now looking at this I see two glaring issues myself but the help guy saw another third issue: get your fiver weighed. Now I admit that is general good advice but the fact that the Escapees seem to run a weighing operation may have crept into his thoughts.
What do you guys think, good advice or not.
!!!!

To avoid flat tires and save time--------------Just buy an airline ticket[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon] Marathons are for runners not RVers!!!!!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Plenty of ST tires are rated for more than 65 mph. Some of you are stuck in the 80's with towing technology, its getting a little annoying.

Since Marathon tires are the subject and they are 65 MPH tires that were being used today, it shouldn't be annoying to anyone following the conversation.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Driving a huge trailer too fast on cheap Chinese tires of unknown age, carrying unknown weight, what could possibly go wrong?

The OP states that they are running "GY Marathon tires." Where do you get "cheap Chinese tires?"

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

The OP states that they are running "GY Marathon tires." Where do you get "cheap Chinese tires?"

Rob

Because they are low priced and made in China. [emoticon]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Rob

Because they are low priced and made in China. [emoticon]

Ask anyone that has run Marathons! I used to run Carlisles, never a blowout in. 14 years. And I towed at 70+mph.

As has been stated, the 65mph rating is dated and is now used as a blanket comment on any tire blowout thread.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More fuel for the fire:

The questioner in the article could just be that poor, unlucky fellow whose statistics ran out on him and he got 2 road hazards the same day. Been know to happen

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Strange advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.