Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Strange advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Strange advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

More fuel for the fire:

The questioner in the article could just be that poor, unlucky fellow whose statistics ran out on him and he got 2 road hazards the same day. Been know to happen

And without knowing the positions of the tires we can't even say for sure the same hazard didn't kill both tires.
But as to the advice; Looking at weight rating of RVs, and the MT weights of many, somebody should stop all of use at random. If we do not have a ticket showing what are rig weighed within the last 2 years we get a ticket. Now I'm not saying we should get a ticket for over the ratings, but we should pay a fine for ignorance.
IMHO, it is more dangerous for somebody to run at ratings and not understand they are close, than somebody that knows they are 20% over.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those triple axle trailers do a lot of "skidding" on the back two sets of tires. Imagine how much those very rear tires are flexing in a tight turn.Those sidewalls must be feeling some awful pain, being maxed out like that...over and over.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that trailer tires are a lot like booze. Get sick on a particular one and it leaves you not wanting to drink it again. My bad tire experience has been with Carlise tires and shudder at having them on anything that I own. Just guessing but figure that everyone with much experience has a tire that they don't like.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilus, you can get your rig weighed at most any truck stop with scales anywhere across the USA. The Escapees weigh program doesn't even show on the radar! And since you frequent the SKP forum, you know I am a member.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

agesilus, you can get your rig weighed at most any truck stop with scales anywhere across the USA. The Escapees weigh program doesn't even show on the radar! And since you frequent the SKP forum, you know I am a member.

It's still weird advice to completely ignore the bad reputation of the marathons and the fact that the fellow was exceeding the rated speed.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

Age has been the biggest factor for my ST tires. I had a triple axle cargo trailer and the tires were two years and two months old and all six of them shredded within a 30 mile stretch. I never got more than four years and two months out of ST tires on my fifth wheels. All of those trailers had either 5200 pound or 6000 pound axles and 16 inch wheels so I switched all of them to LT tires and no more problems. The current Cooper’s on my fifth wheel are seven years old and they Still look like new. Craig

at two years that has nothing to do with age. that has to do with weight, speed, inflation and road conditions.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GY Marathons says it all, Google law suits. Escapees mag does not always give great advise.

Several issue back some one asked about using drain cleaner on a clogged sink. Advised no. The plumbing in the RV is just like a house, PVC, ABS & PEX. Do you used drain clearer at home? The differance is the RV has a plastic holding tank, homes have septic or sewer, the tank dumps to either.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how many reports of blowouts on Towables have we seen on the forums or experience ourselves and..Marathon tires was featured a lot more than once.
As in our Holiday Rambler they used older light truck tires not up to the weight of a loaded or even empty unit. Plus...tire squirm when jacking them around to park or even on really curvy roads, with two axles or more. We lost two and the other two were getting ready to shed their threads and the Fifth Wheel wasn't even
two years old. They put what ever tires and wheel they can get at the best price, read cheapest to get them out the door, on most of the units.
I changed our tires from a G to an H rating LT truck tire and a better grade of tire also and next larger size and from 16 to 17 inch and to aluminum rims from steel. Those Marathon and other ST tires are only rated to 65 mph? I do not wish to drive a rolling obstacle down the road. After so many reports over the years I believe ST tires should be relabeled to RTB ready to blow or shed threads. Apparently their essential criteria is how cheap can we make them to attract RV mfgs. Marathon tires should read out of breath and will self destruct before the marathon is over, IMO.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how many blowouts/shredded tires we have had over the years, many tho. Especially during our popup years with those 13 inch wheels. But generally we would have one every long trip.
I had to laugh when I read about the "five year warranty" on the Marathons, has anyone ever received a warranty replacement on a shredded tire?
On that subject tho, I have to give Discount tires a high rating for their tire warranty. I resisted for years but finally gave in when we went to GR Commercial T/A 16in LT tires on our TT. A tire eating cattle guard ripped the sidewall on one of the tires and they replaced it without even asking what happened. Tires bought in FL and the Discount Tire in MT replaced it. It did cost $25 for the tire warranty on the replaced tire tho.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is even strange-er is the 3 pages of speculation about some random 4th hand info, situation or question that no one has a clue about in the first place....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Strange advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.