cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV backup camera stuff

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the search on this forum, it's pretty bad, so sorry if it's already posted.

I am looking for a backup camera and obviously "Furrion" came to mind. These however, are quite pricey. In a quick search, I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wireless-Waterproof-Distortion-Reversing/dp/B078PDH6Z8

Is there a reason I really need a Furrion?
7 REPLIES 7

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried wireless backup cameras for the back of my pickup. You know the type that mounts on the license plate. I've never found one that works. They don't have broadcast enough power to get a signal to the cab of the truck. I don't see how this one would be any better.

The last license plate mounted camera I bought was a wired one. That one worked good,,,, until winter came. Then it conked out. They simply don't build a good back up camera for trucks. I gave up.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people seem to be having good luck with the hard wired units purchased on eBay and Amazon. If you are looking for a good system other than those Rearview Safety seems to have good systems that are sold piecemeal or as complete systems. They did have a couple vehicle rated hard drives to record video from up to 4 vehicle mounted cameras. They also had a couple systems that record G Force data and GPS in case of an accident. These systems are made for use on any vehicle from the family car or RV up to commercial vehicles and tractor trailers.

They are still much cheaper than the ones sold by the RV dealers.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Haloview RD7-Mini 720P Wireless Range Dominator System It fits in the Furrion housing and I didn't have to drill anything.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought and installed that very camera on my fifth wheel this year and have been using it for maybe 8 round trips. Installation was easy and pairing was painless. Resolution is very good as in HD. I made a rear view mirror mount as I chose not to use the provided mounts. I have never had pixelation or frame freeze up to 70 mph. The camera is wide angle so you can pick up vehicles pretty easy. Combine with the truck's mirrors eliminates any blind spots. I don't use it for backing as I am looking at my mirrors instead. I wired it to my clearance lights so lights on powers the camera.

Gripes: My camera does not clear when raining so not real useful. I do have a lip on my rear cap so that could contribute. The customer service numbers in the description and instructions are not valid. Go to Amazon reviews to get the right number. I did this to order the no charge suction cup mount which did not come with it. I would like it more if it had a zoom feature.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a rear view camera, side view camera and monitors for each on Amazon. The whole set-up probably cost a fraction of what Furrion would charge. I found that all the different types of offerings on Amazon are basically the same, just the brand names are different. Yes, they are cheap, but is Furrion really any better? Hard to tell. Anyway, I installed the set and they work fine. If I have to replace a component every once in awhile I will put up with it. The Voyager components I replaced lasted 30 years. I doubt that the new ones will.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They work well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
They work.