cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tranny temp got to 250!! yikes,, troubling questions

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have F350 (details below in signature) been towing with it for 10 years approx. must be my year for problems. was coming back home and going up a very light grade i have gone up many times and as i got over it and drove for a few miles i looked over at my edge tunes 8 guage digital thing and the tft said almost 250 degrees!!,,i don't have it alarmed or warning light or anything and just keep my eye on it,, so not sure how long it was at 250. i have never had it that hot ever, it was running 145 ish the whole trip in these colder winter temps. anyway, i immeadiately slowed down,, made sure it was in 4th gear with tran lock symbol appearing ( i have learned that this is the best way to get my tranny temp down) went about 50-55mph for maybe 15-20 minutes and got it back down to 145-150 degrees. the only thing i can think of is that i am running gopowerhungry tunes, the hydrachip,, i have 4 tunes programmed in ( i used the edge consol only for a multiple guage setup) i have a 65 hp tow and a daily driver. i have forgotten to put it in the usual 65hp tow mode,,, i can't believe that would do it but something certainly did. i have had past history of minor probs with tranny,, when shifting down into 3rd gear, even with converter locked (according to lock symbol on guagae cluster) the tranny will slowly heat up. will also do it in 2nd gear with converter locked. the only place the tranny always runs nice and cool is in 4th, locked. it has never been a problem really, until now.

recommendations or advice? just got home and will check tranny fluid tomorrow but suspect it will read at normal levels,, will inspect fluid and probly have it drained and replaced,, (good by 200 bucks)

could it have been just due to the tune selection?

engine temp was ok at 220 ish. my truck does have habit of getting engine temp up to 240 ish at end of longer grades.

i usually watch my egt's and keep them 1200-1300 max, they normally run 8-900 i think ( i think this is pre turbo)

truck description approximately: 2001 f350 7.3L 4 door LB SRW 4WD 6.0L tranny cool, 6.0L intercooler, ballbearing turbo, fancy turbo connections, banks brake (doesn't work) john woods tranny, 185K on engine. towing a 11k 33ft toyhauler
24 REPLIES 24

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
i have forgotten to put it in the usual 65hp tow mode,,, i can't believe that would do it but something certainly did.
Maybe I miss interpreted what this said.

sorry, it was probably confusing the way i worded it.

well, on my hydra chip, which is the tune setup from powerhungry performance, which i can switch tunes while driving, i downloaded 4 tunes to choose from as i drive,

#1 daily driver 65hp fuel sipper
#2 towing 65 hp
#3 towing 80 hp
#4 40 hp daily driver

so when i tow i put it in #2

i don't have a factory tow button to press like some vehicles, which is what i thought you were referring to

but i had been driving around in #1 before i hooked up my trailer and drove off and i didn't put it in the towing mode, #2 that i have been using for years.

i am pretty sure ihave done this before, and vice versa, where i drive with out a trailer and leave it in the towing tune. what i have noticed when towing but not in the towing tune is that it shifts harder

You might want to talk to DP tuners, IMO they are the guru for the 7.3. I have no doubt you would be happy with their tuning on the 7.3.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
i have forgotten to put it in the usual 65hp tow mode,,, i can't believe that would do it but something certainly did.

sorry, it was probably confusing the way i worded it.

well, on my hydra chip, which is the tune setup from powerhungry performance, which i can switch tunes while driving, i downloaded 4 tunes to choose from as i drive,

#1 daily driver 65hp fuel sipper
#2 towing 65 hp
#3 towing 80 hp
#4 40 hp daily driver

so when i tow i put it in #2

i don't have a factory tow button to press like some vehicles, which is what i thought you were referring to

but i had been driving around in #1 before i hooked up my trailer and drove off and i didn't put it in the towing mode, #2 that i have been using for years.

i am pretty sure ihave done this before, and vice versa, where i drive with out a trailer and leave it in the towing tune. what i have noticed when towing but not in the towing tune is that it shifts harder

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I worked in transmission engineering over 30 years ago. While 250F is pretty hot for non-synthetic oil, it is not "over the limit". IIRC, things got bad over 270F. The simple thing to do now is pull the dip stick. If the ATF is still bright cherry read and does not smell "burnt", ho harm !

If you are using synthetic or even blend you have a lot more room. I think all Motorcraft ATF is semi-synthetic now.

BTW, you did the right thing, backing off.

i sent you a pm with some questions if you had time to take a look, no worries if not.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockwind1 wrote:

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
If you were running Type F fluid I would be a bit more concerned. Stay in tow mode to keep the TC locked and just continue on as you have.

i am positive it is synthetic. what do you mean by tow mode? i am running tow tunes,, but i don't have a tow mode button per se,,,, the problem is is that the only time my tranny stays cool is in 4th gear,,, whenever i go to 3rd or 2nd, even with the little padlock" lock" symbol on, it will slowly heat up,, like something is slipping obviously,,,

what could be slipping i wonder.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I worked in transmission engineering over 30 years ago. While 250F is pretty hot for non-synthetic oil, it is not "over the limit". IIRC, things got bad over 270F. The simple thing to do now is pull the dip stick. If the ATF is still bright cherry read and does not smell "burnt", ho harm !

If you are using synthetic or even blend you have a lot more room. I think all Motorcraft ATF is semi-synthetic now.

i finally did pull dipstick,, it is still pink and smells ok. i did notice the dipstick tube holder is quite loose and it was never like that before.

i am sure it is synthetic,,, i ran amsoil synthetic for years until last fluid change when the local shop put their brand synthetic in it.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were running Type F fluid I would be a bit more concerned. Stay in tow mode to keep the TC locked and just continue on as you have.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Never saw those temperatures after installing the 6.0 tranny cooler on my 99 Superduty 7.3 towing a 38โ€™ fifth wheel. That 4R100 transmission is certainly not one of fords better transmissions . Google the fluid change on that 4R100 its very easy , and save yourself some money , I did it a few times during the nearly 16 years I had it .

There is a great transmission builder in Arkansas that specializes in the 4R100 that will put your transmission problems to an end . Brianโ€™s Truck Stop

yes i have heard of him,,, at the time i got the john woods,, supposedly john woods was the west coast expert and brian was the east coast expert,, sadlly i am on the west coast so arkansas is long drive. it soundslike you have done fluid change yourself? how do you get the fluid out of the converter and cooler? never mind, i will google it. thanks

Before I decided to trade in my 99 Superduty, I was going to go with the BTS , instead of the John Woods, from everything I read the BTS was the better tranny build. I actually talked to him about a shifting problem, that was intermittent , and he sent be a valve body, thinking that was my issue . Every rebuild he does he puts in a new valve body regardless, so the one he sent me was supposedly a used one ,but okay. All I paid was the shipping. Never got around to replacing it, seemed to start shifting okay, so I just let it go. As far as tuners again ,probably one of the better ones ,and the one I ran was the DP tuner. It had a tow tune ,as well as others, plus the stock tune as well . I also went with the AIS air intake ,4" exhaust turbo back. The truck ran very well, but short of changing turbos ,injectors etc ,it just didn't have the power in the mountains for a 38' fifth wheel that I would like.

As far as the fluid change ,yes just google it ,its easier then me having to explain it, but yes the old fluid gets pumped out of the converter, and as well as the cooler, its actually as said very easy.

I totally agree, even towing just a 33 foot toy hauler in the mountains is a struggle with my 2001, almost any grade above 5% and Iโ€™m in second gear going about 43 miles an hour, one time on a little Highway Inn between Benton California and mammoth, I couldnโ€™t even do that, I was in first gear I barely made it over that little summit. Although I love my truck, I like how easy it is to work on, I like the fact that it doesnโ€™t have all of the smog **** that every other truck has, and I like that I donโ€™t have to put in that exhaust fluid

But I do get a little jealous of the newer trucks in the way they blow by me doing 85 mph up a grade pulling a 40 ft trailer

Yes, there were grades that it was 30-35 in second gear , it had more , but the EGT temperatures would get too high . Didnโ€™t know what I was missing when I bought a new Ram Cummins in 2014 .

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
rockwind1 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Never saw those temperatures after installing the 6.0 tranny cooler on my 99 Superduty 7.3 towing a 38โ€™ fifth wheel. That 4R100 transmission is certainly not one of fords better transmissions . Google the fluid change on that 4R100 its very easy , and save yourself some money , I did it a few times during the nearly 16 years I had it .

There is a great transmission builder in Arkansas that specializes in the 4R100 that will put your transmission problems to an end . Brianโ€™s Truck Stop

yes i have heard of him,,, at the time i got the john woods,, supposedly john woods was the west coast expert and brian was the east coast expert,, sadlly i am on the west coast so arkansas is long drive. it soundslike you have done fluid change yourself? how do you get the fluid out of the converter and cooler? never mind, i will google it. thanks

Before I decided to trade in my 99 Superduty, I was going to go with the BTS , instead of the John Woods, from everything I read the BTS was the better tranny build. I actually talked to him about a shifting problem, that was intermittent , and he sent be a valve body, thinking that was my issue . Every rebuild he does he puts in a new valve body regardless, so the one he sent me was supposedly a used one ,but okay. All I paid was the shipping. Never got around to replacing it, seemed to start shifting okay, so I just let it go. As far as tuners again ,probably one of the better ones ,and the one I ran was the DP tuner. It had a tow tune ,as well as others, plus the stock tune as well . I also went with the AIS air intake ,4" exhaust turbo back. The truck ran very well, but short of changing turbos ,injectors etc ,it just didn't have the power in the mountains for a 38' fifth wheel that I would like.

As far as the fluid change ,yes just google it ,its easier then me having to explain it, but yes the old fluid gets pumped out of the converter, and as well as the cooler, its actually as said very easy.

I totally agree, even towing just a 33 foot toy hauler in the mountains is a struggle with my 2001, almost any grade above 5% and Iโ€™m in second gear going about 43 miles an hour, one time on a little Highway Inn between Benton California and mammoth, I couldnโ€™t even do that, I was in first gear I barely made it over that little summit. Although I love my truck, I like how easy it is to work on, I like the fact that it doesnโ€™t have all of the smog **** that every other truck has, and I like that I donโ€™t have to put in that exhaust fluid

But I do get a little jealous of the newer trucks in the way they blow by me doing 85 mph up a grade pulling a 40 ft trailer

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
topjimmy wrote:
Don't have a Ford but I had a Bully dog tuner when I bought a used 2007 Duramax so I said great and tried it on tow mode on my maiden Voyage with my 5er I found out REAL QUICK going up my first stepper grade this thing SUCKS for towing my EGT's went too high and so did the tranny temps so I turned it back to Stock mode and all good again now I do not even use the tuner except for info Canned tuners suck IMO for towing

I agree, but I think power-hungry Diesel has a pretty good set up, I really like the hydra chip, they have a lot of choices and they have many tunes for a modified valve body. I went with the lowest horsepower version and Iโ€™ve been running it for years and it has always worked good until now, Iโ€™m still not sure what happened but I will be investigating, hopefully like Some said maybe itโ€™s just a sending unit problem, I recently redid all the wiring harness is under the valve covers and also the ECB, as well as changed out the ECB of course. The problem is where I live, I donโ€™t think there are any reputable transmission people and going down to John Woodโ€™s in California to me is like going deep into enemy territory

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
voodoo101 wrote:
I have a 2001 F-250 7.3 and I had to watch my tranny temps all of the time until I put the Ford V-10 tranny cooler on it. Now I never see 200 degrees. It is 40 percent bigger than the oem and comes standard with Ford tranny replacements. It should have been oem to start with since the 7.3 puts a bigger load on the tranny. Since it is an OEM for the V-10 it fits right on the bracket with no modifications.

Your Woods tranny may already have the larger cooler.

Good luck.

I put the 6.0L 31 row cooler on mine years ago. Worked amazing.

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œi have learned that this is the best way to get my tranny temp down) went about 50-55mph for maybe 15-20 minutes and got it back down to 145-150 degrees.โ€

Another reason to slow down.

I only do 65. The speed limit on that particular 2 lane is 70 mph. I call It the highway of death, because thereโ€™s so many Memorial crosses on it

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a Ford but I had a Bully dog tuner when I bought a used 2007 Duramax so I said great and tried it on tow mode on my maiden Voyage with my 5er I found out REAL QUICK going up my first stepper grade this thing SUCKS for towing my EGT's went too high and so did the tranny temps so I turned it back to Stock mode and all good again now I do not even use the tuner except for info Canned tuners suck IMO for towing
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner