Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: tranny temp got to 250!! yikes,, troubling questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> tranny temp got to 250!! yikes,, troubling questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If you were running Type F fluid I would be a bit more concerned. Stay in tow mode to keep the TC locked and just continue on as you have.

i am positive it is synthetic. what do you mean by tow mode? i am running tow tunes,, but i don't have a tow mode button per se,,,, the problem is is that the only time my tranny stays cool is in 4th gear,,, whenever i go to 3rd or 2nd, even with the little padlock" lock" symbol on, it will slowly heat up,, like something is slipping obviously,,,

what could be slipping i wonder.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

i have forgotten to put it in the usual 65hp tow mode,,, i can't believe that would do it but something certainly did.
Maybe I miss interpreted what this said.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

I worked in transmission engineering over 30 years ago. While 250F is pretty hot for non-synthetic oil, it is not "over the limit". IIRC, things got bad over 270F. The simple thing to do now is pull the dip stick. If the ATF is still bright cherry read and does not smell "burnt", ho harm !

If you are using synthetic or even blend you have a lot more room. I think all Motorcraft ATF is semi-synthetic now.

BTW, you did the right thing, backing off.

i sent you a pm with some questions if you had time to take a look, no worries if not.

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

rockwind1 wrote:

i have forgotten to put it in the usual 65hp tow mode,,, i can't believe that would do it but something certainly did.

sorry, it was probably confusing the way i worded it.

well, on my hydra chip, which is the tune setup from powerhungry performance, which i can switch tunes while driving, i downloaded 4 tunes to choose from as i drive,

#1 daily driver 65hp fuel sipper
#2 towing 65 hp
#3 towing 80 hp
#4 40 hp daily driver

so when i tow i put it in #2

i don't have a factory tow button to press like some vehicles, which is what i thought you were referring to

but i had been driving around in #1 before i hooked up my trailer and drove off and i didn't put it in the towing mode, #2 that i have been using for years.

i am pretty sure ihave done this before, and vice versa, where i drive with out a trailer and leave it in the towing tune. what i have noticed when towing but not in the towing tune is that it shifts harder

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

rockwind1 wrote:

sorry, it was probably confusing the way i worded it.

well, on my hydra chip, which is the tune setup from powerhungry performance, which i can switch tunes while driving, i downloaded 4 tunes to choose from as i drive,

#1 daily driver 65hp fuel sipper
#2 towing 65 hp
#3 towing 80 hp
#4 40 hp daily driver

so when i tow i put it in #2

i don't have a factory tow button to press like some vehicles, which is what i thought you were referring to

but i had been driving around in #1 before i hooked up my trailer and drove off and i didn't put it in the towing mode, #2 that i have been using for years.

i am pretty sure ihave done this before, and vice versa, where i drive with out a trailer and leave it in the towing tune. what i have noticed when towing but not in the towing tune is that it shifts harder

You might want to talk to DP tuners, IMO they are the guru for the 7.3. I have no doubt you would be happy with their tuning on the 7.3.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> tranny temp got to 250!! yikes,, troubling questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.