Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Thanksgiving 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Thanksgiving 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANKSGIVING 2020

In another 36 days, I will start my ninth decade on Planet Earth. And today I will celebrate my 80th Thanksgiving Day. As I contemplate Thanksgiving Day, 2020, I remember other Thanksgiving Days around the world, some of which I spent working a shift at a ground site; others, poking holes in the sky in SE Asia, the Baltic, the east Mediterranean...

I left the states in 1961, heading for a ground site assignment in “Bavarian Siberia,” Hof, Germany. Since we were a 24/7, 365 days per year, somebody was working on that first Thanksgiving in 1961. May have been me.

Spent two tours at that ground site, then the rest of my career poking holes in the sky somewhere around the world. If there was a Thanksgiving Day flight at any of those units, I was on it. While others were enjoying turkey and all the trimmings, I was enjoying a Nr. Two box lunch. But I have no regrets, none whatsoever.

I wear a baseball cap that says I am retired Air Force. Many have approached and thanked me for my service. I appreciate that; however, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to serve, to do a job that was meaningful, to meet and establish friendships that have lasted decades.

It has been said that those of us in “Our Thing” are unique. I never really thought about that. Just did a job for which I was qualified and highly trained, surrounded by others who were as equally qualified and as equally trained. I always knew each of them had my six, as I had theirs.

No one or nothing says it better than this Bill Mahan (GRHS) quote:

“We are a group of rapidly aging and steadily disappearing veterans, of a war that was fought with skills and talents not normally associated with the military, nor understood by the general public. Our pride is in accomplishments that are often secret, and memories are about things that happened, but will be officially denied.”
- Bill Mahan, 15 June 2008

Thankful? Where to start? Thankful for my God. Thankful for my country. Thankful for comrades who served, and who are still serving. Thankful for having the opportunity to know and work with them, and a slow salute to the many who didn't come back.

Thankful for natural family, and my adopted Silent Warrior family.

There were no females in the airborne portion of “Our Thing” during my time; however, there are many now filling those positions right alongside the men. Not sure how I feel about that – typical misogynistic male, maybe, but I don't want to see our ladies in danger. Actually, they would handle it quite well, I'm sure. Many already have.

I would be remiss if I did not recognize and pay homage to those wives who also “watched and waited.” You know who you are, and I salute you. You deserve the medals and ribbons more than we do.

Most of my contemporaries are a bit long in the tooth now, suffering from various health issues, but to a man, all are ready to do it all over. Ready to jump on a plane somewhere in the dark part of the world, fly a mission, thumb our nose at danger...because, as another pundit mused,

“My Uniform Still Fits – Someone”

And for that, I am thankful.

And I am thankful for you.

2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You!!!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Grey Mountain! I wish I had written that as it expresses my feelings also. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Grey Mountain!!!

I don't have the same record of time on earth or Thanksgivings as I haven't started my 7th decade yet.

As a 16 year old I started working a 'Mans' Job...oil rigs and we ran 24/7.
Missed a couple of Thanksgivings due to being 'the worm' (newest/youngest)
Then went in the NAVY were I was 'on shift' in Engine Room or standing Sound/Security Watches during many Holidays. We also poked holes in the sky with our 5", our ASROC and our Tartar Missiles
After the NAVY I spent the rest of my working career as Control Operator in Power Plants working 12hr rotating shifts.....again many Holidays/Anniversaries/Birthdays on shift

This Thanksgiving holds more meaning then ANY in the past.
5 surgeries since Jan (2 Emergency which afterwards Doc told me He had Doubts) so I have be truly BLESSED and am VERY Thankful

2020 has been rough but 2021 has promise!!!
Family/Friends are precious and Health Care Folks are TOPS

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gray Mountain women pilots served flying in WWII they had a very important job flying the planes from manufacturers to delevery. Your post was very refreshing and I hope you have many more Thanksgivings.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missleer??

Or

SAC aircrew??

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your service. Your Birthday was yesterday...but...Happy Birthday.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your service and congrats on the number of turns!

Father in law was on a navy destroyer during Korean War. 4 years ago we took him to our primary campground for their dinner, he loved it and wanted to go back. Unfortunately, that never happened. 3 years ago, he had a stroke right before thanksgiving. 2 years ago, he had a heart attack and cartaroid surgery day after thanksgiving. Last year he passed day after thanksgiving.

This year was a blessing in the sense we were able to enjoy thanksgiving with our oldest daughter. But it was tough remembrance of his passing too.

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

Missleer??

Or

SAC aircrew??

C-130s, RC-135s, airborne cryptographic linguist on recce platforms.
Ground site doing the same thing without an airplane.

GM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Thanksgiving 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.