Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One way valve on hot water in shower
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > One way valve on hot water in shower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
arcsum68

Northern CA

Full Member

Joined: 04/05/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I am not able to find what I am looking for and was hoping someone could point me to some literature or instructions on adding a one way valve to the hot water side of the shower valve. I watched a video awhile back where they mentioned they did this, but offered no details. Per the video when you use the switch on the showerhead to shut off flow, the cold water will back fill into the hot water side since the pressure is greater and thats why when you turn it back on it will be cold for a few seconds. By adding a one way valve to hot water side that cold water cannot get into the hot water side. Any recommendations on how to accomplish this?


2005 Ford F150 5.4 Super Crew
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a Sharkbite check valve. Link

Cut the red PEX tube coming out of the water heater and add push the valve onto the line being careful to observe the water flow arrow.


Are you having a problem with the cold water blast in the shower or does the one way valve just seem like a good idea.

Many RV water heaters already have a check valve at the exit line, it's possible yours already has this.

Does your RV shower head should continue to dribble water out of it even when you flip the switch off. This is to prevent the cold water blast as the pressure can't build up enough to backflow the line.

If your shower head shuts completely off, you can avoid the cold blast by only shutting it mostly off. Leave a little dribble out of the head and the cold blast won't occur.


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 11/29/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need access to HOT water line to shower faucet
Then install a check valve in Hot line

**Doesn't have to be right at the shower faucet ...just needs to be on Hot line going to shower faucet


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

Senior Member

Joined: 04/05/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I've done to fix that problem is to put a garden hose/GH valve at the shower head. I get from Tractor Supply water pipe to GH adaptors.

Dusty

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 08/28/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/29/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used one of these between the hot water pipe and the hot faucet, and then I added one of these at the base of the shower head hose. No more icy or scalding water when taking a Navy shower in the TT. Pretty easy install.


DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.


Life in Black and Blue


wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

arcsum68 wrote:

Per the video when you use the switch on the showerhead to shut off flow, the cold water will back fill into the hot water side since the pressure is greater and thats why when you turn it back on it will be cold for a few seconds.


Since both the hot and cold water are pressurized by the self same PUMP that.. it male bovine produced organic fertilizer (AKA BS)

What happens is when the water stops the hot cools a bit and "Contracts" sucking cold in. The solution is to use a better valve that does not 100% turn off flow. the Oxygenics "Smart Pulse" valve is like this. it allows a dribble of watter to flow. So does the generic valve I got at Mennards years back (Alas no link it's been 15 years)

Either of these solves the issue for about 10 bucks.


Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

arcsum68 wrote:

Per the video when you use the switch on the showerhead to shut off flow, the cold water will back fill into the hot water side since the pressure is greater and thats why when you turn it back on it will be cold for a few seconds.


Since both the hot and cold water are pressurized by the self same PUMP that.. it male bovine produced organic fertilizer (AKA BS)

What happens is when the water stops the hot cools a bit and "Contracts" sucking cold in. The solution is to use a better valve that does not 100% turn off flow. the Oxygenics "Smart Pulse" valve is like this. it allows a dribble of watter to flow. So does the generic valve I got at Mennards years back (Alas no link it's been 15 years)

Either of these solves the issue for about 10 bucks.


another possible cause of the cold water problem is WH bypass systems with ONE lever, rather than the TWO lever systems. The one lever systems use a one way check valve that often has highly non linear characteristics. The result is very noticeable water temp changes with flow, very noticeable when water is down to a trickle then back up again. Solution, pull the check valve that is installed and install a WH bypass with two levers. That solved our issue along with two other camper friends complaining about the same problem.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


arcsum68

Northern CA

Full Member

Joined: 04/05/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:



Are you having a problem with the cold water blast in the shower or does the one way valve just seem like a good idea.

Many RV water heaters already have a check valve at the exit line, it's possible yours already has this.

Does your RV shower head should continue to dribble water out of it even when you flip the switch off..


Thanks all for answering.

I get a cold blast every time, so it seemed like a good idea. If mine had such a valve, would this not be an issue or is what I have about as good as it gets? Pretty minor complaint, just trying to make things nicer.

I have an Oxygenics shower head and it does indeed dribble when turned "off".

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 11/30/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried most of the “All you have to do is just.........” suggestions given here, with very little improvement. I say “most” because when you dry camp as often as we do, and only have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, dribbling the water works against our need to stretch every resource needed to extend our stay.

What finally fixed it for me was a Thermostatic Shower Mixer Valve.

[emoticon][emoticon]


2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450


arcsum68

Northern CA

Full Member

Joined: 04/05/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I tried most of the “All you have to do is just.........” suggestions given here, with very little improvement. I say “most” because when you dry camp as often as we do, and only have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, dribbling the water works against our need to stretch every resource needed to extend our stay.

What finally fixed it for me was a Thermostatic Shower Mixer Valve.

[emoticon][emoticon]


I mostly dry camp as well, and my trailer only has 40 gallons fresh water. It's really the one negative thing I have to say about the trailer so far, very small amounts of fresh and gray water storage. Even 50 gallons each would have been very much appreciated.

I love this idea, but I think I will be pretty limited since I have no access from the outside. The only place I can do anything from, is the inside of the shower at the valves or maybe inline. There is an access panel for the water heater/heater, but I havent opened it up yet.

In the video I watched the guy had a room behind the shower and cut into the wall so the check valve was right at the controls.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > One way valve on hot water in shower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.