Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One way valve on hot water in shower
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> One way valve on hot water in shower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, looks like this guy did it without having access to the rear. This sounds SUPER appealing. I am going to investigate, but I really like this idea.

https://wackypup.blogspot.com/2019/09/best-low-cost-luxury-mod-upscale-rv.html

2005 Ford F150 5.4 Super Crew
2014 Fun Finder 233RBS

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordered THIS after discussing the options with the wife. We both like the valve idea, though I do believe the one way valve and an actual shutoff valve would have worked. The shutoff is the secret, otherwise the cold water will just fill up the hose, especially if the cutoff is right at the faucet instead of the end of the hose.

zurncompany

US

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water pressure control valve ZW209 provides steady downstream pressure and allows high flow rates. Standard features ease maintenance and repair, delivering the lowest total cost of ownership.

***Link Removed***pressure reducing valve is an ideal choice when you need to open or close a valve electrically. It comes with Wye strainer and isolation valves to ease maintenance and the pressure gauges, wye strainer, isolation valves, and epoxy coating ensure lowest total cost of ownership.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good call zurncompany. I’ll get right on that.

As soon as I find a big enough spot for it, that is. [emoticon]

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

another possible cause of the cold water problem is WH bypass systems with ONE lever, rather than the TWO lever systems. The one lever systems use a one way check valve that often has highly non linear characteristics. The result is very noticeable water temp changes with flow, very noticeable when water is down to a trickle then back up again. Solution, pull the check valve that is installed and install a WH bypass with two levers. That solved our issue along with two other camper friends complaining about the same problem.

This is exactly the issue. The water heater outlet check valve acts as a slight restricter to the flow of hot water. When the shower wand is shut off, it continues to trickle. Since the hot water flow is slightly restricted, it is over powered by the cold water flow. The hot water flow stops and cold water fills the shower hose. Cold water cannot back up into the hot water line, since the check valve at the water heater will not allow it to and hot water is not magically compressible by cold water. The cold water blast is from the cold water filling the 6 feet of shower hose as the water continues to trickle from the shower wand head.

There are three ways to solve the problem. Remove the check valve at the water heater outlet and use a 2 or 3 valve bypass, add a temperature controlled mixing valve to the shower lines or add a shutoff valve to the shower hose.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

punomatic wrote:

I used one of these between the hot water pipe and the hot faucet, and then I added one of these at the base of the shower head hose. No more icy or scalding water when taking a Navy shower in the TT. Pretty easy install.

Exactly what I did, either I copied you or you copied me. Either way it works perfectly.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

arcsum68

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got decently far today, before I realized that the valve itself was bad. Not deterred, just delayed, typical Chinese manufacturing. Pay less now and pray for the best. In my case, I needed a valve that was narrower than most because of my corner shower and there was not much to choose from. Having the bad one to plop in there I realize now could go bigger, but it would look odd so I will give this one another chance.

Is there a way to attach pics, or a recommendation for who can host? The service I used to use now requires a paid account.

stormyboy

Geraardsbergen

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey arcsum68,

It seems like you already found a solution. However, I recently wrote an article about this problem. Maybe it can still help you in a way.

This is the article I'm talking about:
https://www.linktonature.com/rv-water-blast-fix/

Hope this makes it clear to you [emoticon]

Storm

* This post was edited 12/05/20 04:22am by stormyboy *

stormyboy

Geraardsbergen

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and another thing, if you want to attach pics, you can use imgur.com

You just have to make an account and then you can make a post.

That post will have a link so that you can share it with us.

jwoods61us

INDY

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been lurking on this thread waiting for someone to mention theShowermi$er, but no one has. It does exactly what the OP wants IIRC.

John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> One way valve on hot water in shower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.