cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big 5 National Parks in Utah

JCSC
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip next spring to visit the National Parks in Utah for the first time. Will be pulling a 26' travel trailer with a diesel pickup. Will be starting at Arches and ending at Zion. Would like to know routes that would be relatively easy for pulling a travel trailer and proceeding from Arches to Capitol Reef to Bryce to Zion. Main concern would be tough switchbacks to maneuver a trailer. I am aware of State Highway 12 as a scenic route that is doable pulling a trailer. Not sure of other routes over the landscape other than travelling on Interstate 70.

Also, any recommendations as to private campgrounds would be appreciated.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
JCSC wrote:
Planning a trip next spring to visit the National Parks in Utah for the first time. Will be pulling a 26' travel trailer with a diesel pickup. Will be starting at Arches and ending at Zion. Would like to know routes that would be relatively easy for pulling a travel trailer and proceeding from Arches to Capitol Reef to Bryce to Zion. Main concern would be tough switchbacks to maneuver a trailer. I am aware of State Highway 12 as a scenic route that is doable pulling a trailer. Not sure of other routes over the landscape other than travelling on Interstate 70.

Thanks!

Not a National Park, but Dead Horse State Park is worth visiting...in the area of Arches. Beautiful scenery, one being the place where 'Thelma and Louise' of the movie, drove off at the end of the movie.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You might be interested in Mountain Directory West to help plan the routes. I always avoid any highway that states `Scenic' on the map.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
JCSC wrote:
Are you needed full hook-ups? There are some fine public CG's in these areas, some with electric. The public CG's in these parks are in simply amazing settings.

If you are looking for hookups only to have electricity, remember that Bryce Canyon, at 8000' elevation, stays pretty cool in the spring, so a/c isn't necessary. Snow can be an issue even into April in some years. North CG at Bryce is a good alternative to Ruby's Inn and within walking distance of the rim from your campsite. Dump station at the CG entrance.

Near Moab, check out Dead Horse Point SP near Canyonlands. There are electric sites, but you do need to haul your own water up there. Dump station near the CG entrance. Great views at DHSP and nearby Canyonlands. You're also away from the madness of Moab. BTW, if you can, avoid being in Moab on the week before Easter. (March 27th - April 4th 2021) The jeep safari is scheduled to be there and it is an absolute madhouse on the roads, trails, stores, gas stations, etc. Moab in the spring is a real zoo from March through May anyway.

There's a whole lot of information on everything Moab, including Arches and Canyonlands NP's here.

Watchman CG in Zion also has electric hookups and a dump station at the entrance. Great, scenic setting right in the canyon next to the Virgin "River" (more like a stream much of the year). Walking distance to the Visitors Center where the shuttle buses originate. As noted, the shuttle is the only way into the canyon (unless you have bikes, and then it's well worth the ride).

Wherever you plan on staying, reservations should be obtained as soon as possible.

I don't know how you are getting to Arches to begin with, but if you're coming from Colorado on I-70, do take UT 128 (exit 204) down to Moab. Shorter and slower, but far, far more scenic. You'll follow the Colorado River down this amazing canyon. Plenty of pull offs for photo ops.

All good info above - Only thing I'd suggest is that you might think about coming even earlier, during the end of the winter season, possibly beating some of the crowds.

Zion, because of it's proximity to Vegas has a large number of day Visitor's arriving in Buses - making for large crowds. Our best visit to Zion and Bryce were just before Christmas one year - December 21st Hiked to the Top of Angles Landings in Shorts an T's - only to arrive the next Day in Bryce with 8"'s of Snow - Catching the Hoo Doo's with Snow Caps for the Sunset - Best three days ever - No People and Spectacular Weather. 🙂

North Rim - Page - Monument Valley - Goosenecks - Slot Canyons along with Lake Powell will also Scream for a visit. Do not Miss RT 128 it is as memorable as many National Parks (exit 214 off I-70).

Add the fact that we had No Reservations and No Issues, hard to Beat!!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
JCSC wrote:
Are you needed full hook-ups? There are some fine public CG's in these areas, some with electric. The public CG's in these parks are in simply amazing settings.

If you are looking for hookups only to have electricity, remember that Bryce Canyon, at 8000' elevation, stays pretty cool in the spring, so a/c isn't necessary. Snow can be an issue even into April in some years. North CG at Bryce is a good alternative to Ruby's Inn and within walking distance of the rim from your campsite. Dump station at the CG entrance.

Near Moab, check out Dead Horse Point SP near Canyonlands. There are electric sites, but you do need to haul your own water up there. Dump station near the CG entrance. Great views at DHSP and nearby Canyonlands. You're also away from the madness of Moab. BTW, if you can, avoid being in Moab on the week before Easter. (March 27th - April 4th 2021) The jeep safari is scheduled to be there and it is an absolute madhouse on the roads, trails, stores, gas stations, etc. Moab in the spring is a real zoo from March through May anyway.

There's a whole lot of information on everything Moab, including Arches and Canyonlands NP's here.

Watchman CG in Zion also has electric hookups and a dump station at the entrance. Great, scenic setting right in the canyon next to the Virgin "River" (more like a stream much of the year). Walking distance to the Visitors Center where the shuttle buses originate. As noted, the shuttle is the only way into the canyon (unless you have bikes, and then it's well worth the ride).

Wherever you plan on staying, reservations should be obtained as soon as possible.

I don't know how you are getting to Arches to begin with, but if you're coming from Colorado on I-70, do take UT 128 (exit 204) down to Moab. Shorter and slower, but far, far more scenic. You'll follow the Colorado River down this amazing canyon. Plenty of pull offs for photo ops.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
JCSC wrote:

Thanks!

We did that last summer (but west to east coming from Grand Canyon).

Bryce to Zion - I would take 12 to 89, to 20, to I-15, down to 17, then 9 to Zion. It's just not worth it trying to get thru the tunnel with a trailer. I went thru with just my dually pickup (def need to drive thru), and going in on the west side the ranger said "have a nice day", but coming back in from the east, they measured and made me buy a permit.

As stated, there are no real problems with any of the highways in this area. The Hogback on hwy 12 between Capitol Reef & Bryce could be an issue for a first-time mountain driver, but just take it easy and use the pull-outs and it's a piece of cake. And awesome!!

We only stayed at one private CG (we prefer public parks) in Escalante HERE and it was pretty nice.

BTW - While at Bryce, you HAVE to eat here!! BEST FOOD & PIE AROUND!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Going from Bryce to Zion, the direct route, get's pretty marginal going in thru the east entrance. Tight twisty very busy road with lots of vehicles parked on the shoulder and pedestrians wandering across the road. Then you need to get a pass to go thru the tunnel with an RV and there are size limits. On the other hand, it's quite a ways to circle around to the south entrance.

Might not be out yet but check on entrance passes. Bryce, you could just show up this fall but Zion, you needed a ticket for the shuttle bus (and you can't drive into the main canyon)...and tickets were selling out quick.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
JCSC wrote:

Thanks!

Zion River Resort (Zion)
Ruby's Inn (Bryce)
Thousand Lake RV (Capitol Reef)
Portal RV ( Canyon Lands & Arches)

Might also want to check out Monument valley and stay at Goulding's
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
During the season, it was totally PACKED. ( Utah ) make reservation MOW.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Add Valley of Gods
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

JCSC
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 3/4 ton and only pulling about 6,500 pounds.

Thanks for responding, please keep them coming.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If Monument Valley is not on your list it would be worth considering.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to mention campgrounds because I never stay in private campgrounds. If you want private campgrounds I assume you want hook ups? There are endless choices near all of the big 5 except for Cap Reef. There are at least a couple in Torrey. Whether NP or private campgrounds, you need to consider making reservations. Springtime is extremely popular for visitation to southern Utah.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot think of a single paved road in Southern Utah which would be an issue.

Hwy 12 is a very good road. There are no issues with switch backs. The only issue would be climbing over Boulder Mountain. A diesel pickup should handle that easily.

What pickup do you have and how much weight are you pulling?