cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVK3300 with Ram Short box EDIT

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a RVK3300 with a Ford short box installing the support posts angling back 2"?

Change of plans. Seriously looking at a Ram 3500 short box. Anyone have on of these hitches with a Ram?

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
13 REPLIES 13

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I guess thats why some spend thousands to go IS, pretty much all leaf spring RV suspensions are created equal. Myself, I have no problems with standard suspension , a little bit of upgrades , and no where near thousands spent ,and I have no issues . But then again you have to know what upgrades to do

Sailun tires , and a little bracing good to go !!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires and axles "should be" designed to handle the stress of tight turns. If they can't, well they are a POS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I also would never twist my axles on dry pavement, such as in the pics. Pics themselves show that this tight angle, is no longer backing, but just pushing the front. I would rather have pulled forward a little, to lessen the angle, before continuing to back.

Most times, an experienced tower, such as the OP, will be able to safely tow a FW, with the pin directly over axle center on a standard bed truck.

Jerry

The only time I back tighter then I like is into my driveway, and I still don't like the stress on the axles or tires, but it is what it is. But nowhere near those pictures. I have been towing a fifth wheel safely for the past 13 years with two different short bed trucks . With the Ram being the shortest . I have never quite understood the need for 90 degrees, but I guess there are some that need to get that tight. I can only imagine the stress .

I have towed four different fifth wheels with those two trucks, anywhere from 2" forward of axle center to 2" rear of axle center, without issue. As you said the OP should not have a problem with a fixed hitch on the center of axle on a short bed , I still use the old terminogly " short bed " ๐Ÿ™‚

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I also would never twist my axles on dry pavement, such as in the pics. Pics themselves show that this tight angle, is no longer backing, but just pushing the front. I would rather have pulled forward a little, to lessen the angle, before continuing to back.

Most times, an experienced tower, such as the OP, will be able to safely tow a FW, with the pin directly over axle center on a standard bed truck.

Jerry

Very well said.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
spud1957 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
here is what it looked like with the 18K Patriot with the arms all the way back...when I had a Ford.

That last picture makes up my mind. Way too close for me. If the trailer tires were on uneven ground, it could tap the cab.

I am not at all worried about my trailer hitting the my cab because I never have a need to put my truck/trailer at an angle where they get close. Even with a slider if you keep backing up cutting to a tighter and tighter angle you will eventually have the trailer hit your cab. At any rate as Biofgren pointed out a slider is only of value if you are going to use it and most who have a manual slider don't bother to use it because they don't think they need it. If I was worried about cab to trailer clearance I would buy an auto slider.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
here is what it looked like with the 18K Patriot with the arms all the way back...when I had a Ford.

That last picture makes up my mind. Way too close for me. If the trailer tires were on uneven ground, it could tap the cab.

You might want to consider an Andersen, I tow with the steel rail mount Andersen ,and have no problem with clearance with my Ram 3500 short bed . Matter of fact with the rounded corners of my present fifth wheel I have turned the Andersen adapter around putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab . Still not an issue , I have no idea how much of an angle I can back, the most I have so far is getting back into my RV pad beside the house, and thats not a problem. I can get pretty tight.

I have to guess with the adjustments of a B&W its also putting the fifth wheel further back from the cab, or rearward of axle center, as did the Andersen. If needed I could run the Andersen the same which I did, but as mentioned I was able to move it forward. My previous fifth wheel I ran the Andersen a bit further back , putting it slightly rearward of the center of axle.

The simplicity of the Andersen is what I like the most, easy to hitch, and unhitch , no moving parts, nothing to adjust or replace. I also tow with a Reese 18K slider, which I have gotten away from the more I use the Andersen. I have never yet pulled the slider back on the Reese. Mostly likely will sell the Reese ,or just let it collect dust in the garage. ๐Ÿ™‚

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the B&W, but I do have the Ram (Curt) slider in my Ram. I never use the slider and wouldn't hesitate to go to a non-slider if I were replacing the hitch. Hope this helps.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
New truck option. See my original post.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB

JohnHeinz
Explorer
Explorer
I see. Thanks for the tip, 4x4ord! I'll keep that in mind.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup. Thatโ€™s how I use mine. It buys you a little extra cab to trailer front clearance and seems to handle just fine. The difference between putting 3000 lbs of pin weight 2 inches behind the axle centre and two inches ahead of the rear axle centre is minimal. 2 inches in front puts 37.5 lbs of that 3000 on the front axle where as behind takes 37.5 lbs off the front axle. One way the rear axle carries 2963 lbs the other way it carries 3038 lbs.

Edit: the above assumes the pucks are centred over the rear axle but I think they might be about 2 inches ahead of Center to start with. So it still would make a difference of 75 lbs to the front axle one way vs the other but angled back would put the pin directly over the rear axle vs angled forward would put the pin 4 inches ahead of centre .... putting 75 lbs to the front.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5