Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: easy on/off truck caps?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> easy on/off truck caps?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I built my garage I built it with 10' walls so that I could store kayaks, canoes and my truck topper above my vehicles and out of the way. The trusses were built to be load bearing. The engineer that designed the trusses said that he was surprised more people didn't do it. I just hook my topper to the overhead winch with the attached eye bolts and hit the button. My wife keeps telling me to work smart, not hard. She lets me buy some great toys.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

joe&julie81

Cleveland, TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a rack / shelf in the corner of my backyard, the height of the bed rails of my dually, to store it on. With the tailgate down I can back up to the rack, unclamp the topper, get inside and lift it with my back, and walk it / slide it onto the rack, by myself. It's a fiberglass eight footer, heavy for my son and I to lift to or from the ground. This way is pretty easy so far, although I haven't done it in reverse to load it back on. I don't think it would be any harder. I built the rack 8 feet wide by 6 feet deep, out of 4x4's and 2x6's, for about $100, pressure treated.

04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> easy on/off truck caps?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.