Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Produce moisture? Look at your front window and others when it is 32 outside and raining and furnaces run all night.

Condensation on the windows just means the glass surface is cooler than the dew point of the air in the RV, which in turn generally means the humidity is at a reasonable indoor air level. The water vapor comes from people breathing and from cooking, not from the furnace, as the furnace is designed such that all the combustion gasses are vented outside (and all the combustion air comes from the outside), with a heat exchanger to transfer the heat to the air circulated around the inside of the RV.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

look at these and others like them ebay #124270266794 under $200. bucks can be mounted outside and warm air brought inside no fumes. ebay diesel portable heaters.

Can't find that.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propex furnaces are much quieter. Dickinson Newport heaters provide a nice 'fireplace look' through a glass window. Just a couple of ideas.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different take on things, Im a fan of 2x6v or 4x6v batts plus solar and genset. Yes the factory furnace is loud but after a few trips its just white noise. Dry camping has real challenges in cool weather. We run Honda before bed so batts are topped off as well as a 110v mattress heater. Once genset is off its warm blankets and furnace to a comfortable temp for us. In the morning honda goes on and solar assists getting batteries topped off. We try to conserve power or save big loads for when Honda is running.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jwpup wrote:

Hi,

I’m new to the RV world, just started making family trips in a new travel trailer (forest river wolf pup). But temperatures are dropping and the heater that came with the camper is horrendously loud. It wakes us up every time it kicks on at night.

All of our camping is without hookups and we are trying to find out if there’s a better alternative for heating the unit at night, without a noisy fan, and without draining the batteries. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Look up Espar diesel heater or its Chinese knock off copy which cost much less.
Espar is pricey but well worth the money.
Search YT on how to instal,

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Just be sure that you leave room for make up air whatever you use. Don't confuse non vented to mean no openings. Everything that burns needs make up air. Some need more then others. Thats why its not safe to heat your home with an oven. Short term it its ok for the oven as its designed to just heat the small box. Anything designed to put out heat for a room, will eat up oxygen faster. This will lead to low oxygen and a larger co output from the unit as it will not burn as clean. The instrutions will say the same. This also goes for i door gas fireplaces. They need make up air.

Not all heaters need air,
Espar diesel takes intake air from OUTside and wents exhaust outside too.
Doesnt create any moisture inside either,its all dry heat.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Just be sure that you leave room for make up air whatever you use. Don't confuse non vented to mean no openings. Everything that burns needs make up air. Some need more then others. Thats why its not safe to heat your home with an oven. Short term it its ok for the oven as its designed to just heat the small box. Anything designed to put out heat for a room, will eat up oxygen faster. This will lead to low oxygen and a larger co output from the unit as it will not burn as clean. The instrutions will say the same. This also goes for i door gas fireplaces. They need make up air.

Not all heaters need air,
Espar diesel takes intake air from OUTside and wents exhaust outside too.
Doesnt create any moisture inside either,its all dry heat.

Um, don't really know why i have to say this,
but taking air from outside is needing air. And we were talking portable non venting models. As I said, if it burns it needs make up air.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911,

Many of us will not use unvented combustion heaters. My daughter is a CO survivor. Can you guess what I recommend?

Jwpup

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone - thanks so much for all of the tips and guidance!! Looks like I have some homework and some shopping to do [emoticon]

The thought of CO poisoning does terrify me, but maybe for redundancy I’ll install an extra couple of CO sensors to backup the sensor that came in the unit. I’m always amazed when critical safety sensor systems like that come with just a single device and no redundancy.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Sjm9911,

Many of us will not use unvented combustion heaters. My daughter is a CO survivor. Can you guess what I recommend?

A co detecter , as i previously said? If you go back and re read the thread, i belive i stated not to use a portable heater without a co detecter and make up air. Multiple times. I also said some use a diesel heater ( there vented). People ise them all the time, and it can be done safely with the checks in place.

Side note , im sorry about your daughter. Its atually one of the reasons , i posted so much about make up air and a co detecter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Quiet heater that doesn’t drain batteries ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.