Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Toad Service ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toad Service ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just called about an oil change and battery for the BMW ...

Service folks said: A hundred-fifty bucks for an oil change. AND, then three-hundred for a battery, PLUS one-hundred eighty for a battery reset.
That's six hundred thirty bucks for oil change and new battery. [emoticon] [emoticon]

When I do these on my Chevy PU, I can reset it sitting right in the cab.

Anyone explain those costs?? I know, BMW expensive, but oil is oil and a battery is a battery. Maybe someone can explain this for me.

After we moved, no BMW near us, so a couple hours drive. Would rather do this local if possible, even if higher than a 'regular' auto service, but BMW says ONLY BMW can do this. Year is 2014 X3 ... 30K miles.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Break out the owners manual.
Learn how to reset the internal computer, it likely will tell you. and then any auto parts store will replace the battery, you just have to reset the computer, and save about $200.
If all else fails,,,,, check out youtube.
Also, get yourself an OBD-II code reader, many small problems can be identified saving you thousands vs a STEALERSHIP visit.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked a local mechanic? I'm only a bit farther from Cape Cod [emoticon] and when I had an issue with my MB Sprinter I asked my local guy if he could deal with it. Absolutely no problem. Maybe BMW is the same but they don't want you knowing that.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

monkey44

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was just trying to find out why this service was more than a regular oil change. If so, what is extra? We're not cheap, and we don't mind paying the cost, as long as it's not a fifty buck oil change for a hundred fifty bucks.

Plus, a two-hour drive ...

Not much DYI info in the manual, just tells us 'go to your dealer'

Also a little more time on the phone tells me the battery itself is $240 AGM, which is reasonable, but BMW wants $200 more just to install it, and it's right in the boot, very accessible. U-tube guy replaced battery and reset it - took twenty minutes and he did it outside in the snow, with frosty breath -- thought that was funny ... maybe he was filming it in Alaska - he had the BMW reset device, but am not sure it's any different.

Don't have the OBD-11, but might make sense to buy one. Does that tool do the battery reset as well??? If you know ... thanks ...

We're thinking we're getting a bit to old and crickety for all the maintenance at this age, so, yep, very surprised at the cost when we called. Our last oil change at BMW was fifty-five bucks. So, where'd that hundred extra come in?

Thought this would be a simple Q & A ... like something special and expensive, but it looks like those dealers just want premium dollars for simple services.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's cut out the snarky responses please.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not as snarky remark: but service for a a BMW is expensive. Just like the car. A local mechanic should be able to do the simple things like oil and batteries. Aren't you glad you got the prices first?

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dealers set their own pricing, but I'd call back and ask them to itemize the expenses. Then call another area dealer- if an extra 30 minutes saves a hundred bucks, that's good enough for me.

Our mercedes uses 8 quarts of synthetic and a premium filter meant for 15k miles, but (x2) the local mechanic is still much cheaper than the dealer.

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a little google search. Looks like you need a scanner to register the battery, but you can replace it and it will be fine until you register it.
Oil change? Bout the same as the Zippy Lubes charge for my 1/2 ton or car.
But yeah you could do it yourself for probably $40 if you were inclined or able.
First time getting an oil change priced out or??
Cars are expensive to keep up if the owners aren’t willing or able to do basic functions and services to them.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/20 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not being snarky, speaking from experience. They charge it because they can and BMW owners will pay it. Our Porche is $500 for an oil/air filter. Part of the issue with ours is it's a mid-engine vehicle and a little harder to work on but it doesn't excuse the ridiculous price. There are other garages that specialize in high-end foreign vehicles that will be less expensive.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

monkey44

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/20 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Not as snarky remark: but service for a a BMW is expensive. Just like the car. A local mechanic should be able to do the simple things like oil and batteries. Aren't you glad you got the prices first?

Yes, of course, price first, as always no matter what you buy. But when I tried to understand why an oil change was triple normal, I got no satisfactory answers. We know BMW - more to buy, more to service - we got a very good deal on an off-lease vehicle a few years ago. Just like to know what we get for that expensive oil change ... and no one is willing to detail what it includes. At first, we just tried to get an appointment, then a buncha rude runaround comments.

When we asked the fee, just so we know, common question, right? The response instead was: Do you want us to book a time. Which set off an alarm in my brain. My truck, a 2500HD 6.0L costs $52 last time ... so why is a 2.0L engine triple that - and when I ask what else is included, got deflected. She even said, we check the fluids, but if it needs fluid, we charge extra for that. What we didn't want was, oil change $150, filter add $35, air filters $50 more ... just want to know what it includes and what might be extra, and could not get an answer.

What? A cup of windshield washer $50 extra, check the air in tires, another $50, or what? Would just like real answers, not deflections. The discussion got pretty weird, so got off the line. Thought someone here might explain what the dealer would not.

Thanks for your comments ... M44 [emoticon] Happy camping ya'all, when we can safely.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toad Service ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.