Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically the wife and I do long weekends and leave the campground on Monday or Tuesday. We love doing this as most people leave on Sunday and we get some campground time with very few others. Provides a great opportunity to explore and pick sites for the future.

We camped for Thanksgiving for the first time ever and got to the site Wed. We had planned to leave Monday but the weather that was coming late Sunday into Monday the decision was made to leave Sunday.

This provided us with a rare opportunity to observe people at the dump station. We were actually lucky. We had three units in front of us and when we pulled out there were 6+ units and they were lined up down the HWY.

1. People would leave a ridiculous amount of space between them and the unit in front of them. Pull up to help get people from waiting in line along the side of major HWY.

2. People wandering around aimlessly around their unit while dumping trying to find things. Hvae your act together before you get there. For instance, my elbow piece I toss in the truck bed so I can quickly get to it. My gloves are put on before I get out of the truck.

3. Learn to use gravity. Couple would hold up drain hose HIGHER than the outlet pipe. Gravity is your friend here.

4. The last guy in front of us I predicted would have his act together, he just had the look. I was so wrong. No gloves, OK, guess he is a real man. No elbow piece either. HMM. So he attempts to hold the drain hose, elbowless, in the pipe and reach over to open his drain valves. It was a LONG reach and he lost control, major environmental spillage now taking place and he had to now grab his hose in this nasty water with out gloves to get it back in the pipe.

Even if it is your first time, plan ahead and have your act together. You can probably get from your campsite without locking your storage bins where your stuff is. You can lock them afterwards. In fact, once dumped, pull up so the next guy can get started. You can lock up and do any last minute stuff then.

Ridgeway, SC

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post and complain all you want, nothing will change.
People are creatures of habit. But they can be fun to watch.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

I know of none anywhere near my home.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I wouldn't want someone observing me in my daily life as I am sure throughout the day I make mistakes or do things in a way that's different than someone else's. Judge lest ye be judged. Unless you're perfect of course.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree nothing will change. The takeaway from the original post is" Have you act together and be ready to dump. Have all your hoses, fittings, gloves and whatnot already out and be ready to go. Get this stuff out while your waiting.
Too many get up to the pipe and act like its there first time.
It's OK if it is your first time, but if you have done it before "Act like you know!

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These kinds of things are exactly why I avoid using dump stations unless it's absolutely necessary. I prefer to travel home and use my Macerator and pump my tanks into the sewer at my house.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just put in your own at home even if you have to hire labor to get it dug underground. It may take time getting it done, but in the long run will save you a lot of time and be much more sanitary.

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

Hard to find anything better than the goings-on at a busy summer boat ramp. DW & I love sitting on the side, watching the show. Too often it's better at the ramp than being on the lake. Lots of non-friendly-to-younger-kids atmospheric disturbances...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.