Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My worst dump station experience was at an Interstate Highway rest area where there were 2 dump stations. When I pulled in, there was a diesel pusher at each dump and nobody in line. I pulled up to wait and both of these inconsiderate individuals dumped their tanks while enjoying a conversation and drinking their coffee. After dumping, they both got out their ladders and started washing their RV's right at the dump. I decided that I did not have to empty my tanks after all and left.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

Hard to find anything better than the goings-on at a busy summer boat ramp. DW & I love sitting on the side, watching the show. Too often it's better at the ramp than being on the lake. Lots of non-friendly-to-younger-kids atmospheric disturbances...

The large public boat ramp on Shelter Island in San Diego is right across the street from our Yacht Club. On MemorialDay, 4th of July and Labor Day we would pack a small cooler and take a couple of folding chairs over to watch the carnage. Launching was fun but the main event was always late in the day when all of these folks who use their boats about twice a year returned to the ramp. The wait for an opening would often be an hour and a lot of folks just could not be bothered with waiting their turn.

By now {late afternoon} the kids are all tired, sunburned and often more than a little seasick. Mom has had enough but now has to go retrieve e the TV and trailer so dad can load the boat - a nice variation was dad retrieving the TV and trailer and watching mom try and get the boat on the trailer while listening to dad {I"M NOT YELLING!}.

We would bring 3 x 5" cards and a sharpie and rate the performances numerically {1 - 10} holding our cards aloft much like the olympics. Wow, some of those soccer moms could swear like sailors after a day on the water...

[emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into something new this Thanksgiving weekend. My gray water tank is a water jug. On a full hook-up site with water shut off. The dump station 50 yards away had the normal sloped concrete area around it. Thinking if I spill, it will be easy to wash that area, so I packed the jug that 50 yards. WHY IN SAM HILL WOULD THE COE PUT A PADLOCK ON THAT COVER?
(I carried back to site, did not spill into the gravel)

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reminder to be ready at the dump station!

Appreciate your post. Just ignore those whose comments are......snarky?

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If waiting in line to dump and finding fault with those dumping creates the need to post/rant might want to bypass the dump station, haul it home and dump in privacy were all is done correctly.
Your blood pressure and stress levels will be lower

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GizmosMom wrote:

Thanks for the reminder to be ready at the dump station!

Appreciate your post. Just ignore those whose comments are......snarky?

This forum resides in Snarkville. I post little here due to the snarks. I was just trying to share my amusement and maybe get people to go hmmmm.

Ridgeway, SC

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too share in the amusement of dump station follies and boat launches! Except, no I’m not installing my own sewer hookup for the few times a year I could haul my full tanks home.
What about all the times you’re not near home? OP, you’re right, some folks have no clue with simple tasks. Gives you a good idea of the average intelligence level of society.
My fave recent boat ramp story was this last year Mother’s Day. First hot weather here in Seattle and 2 months into the Rona nonsense, our gubner actually “allowed” lakes to be open. He actually closed boat ramps in the cold spring weather due to Rona. .... no comment for this thread.
Everyone who had a boat, whether it ran or not was at the lake. This launch has like 10 ramps and when we got there (late), people were parking up to a mile away. Lucked out and got a close up spot as someone was leaving. Yay!
End of day, ramps are PACKED. 2 lanes into 1, 1/4 mile long of boat trailers. Problem was, majority of the boat drivers were also the trailer backers so most boats were sitting until their rig made it through the line. Therefore only 2 or 3 ramps actively loading boats at any time. And they were slow. Only 1 tow rig swamped and getting towed out at this point though!
Finally got to the front of the line. Our 16 yo and couple other kids had the boat out of the mess, in a holding pattern waiting for me. Moms and other kids left in other vehicle to go procure dinner.
I waited a few minutes. No open slots all but 2 boats are waiting for their trailer back in line. I called son and said I’m pulling in center between opposite docks get ready drive boat on.
Backed in hopped out. Hollered at a couple people to get their boats sucked into the docks, turn their board racks in etc. Couple people actually cussed me and my kid out for “cutting in line”. Friggin tools! Was only doing what they weren’t skilled enough to.
Boy stuffed it right on the trailer. His friend winched and latched it and we were out of the water in less than a minute.
Life is hard, but it’s even harder if you’re stupid I guess!

* This post was edited 12/01/20 10:02am by an administrator/moderator *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbeverly wrote:

This forum resides in Snarkville. I post little here due to the snarks. I was just trying to share my amusement and maybe get people to go hmmmm.
Amazes me when, almost every time someone makes a post like yours, simply blowing off a bit of steam, people feel the need to belittle you.

Quartzsite is a real poop show at the dump, and those lines can get really long. One day I got behind a beat up old Class C where the lady decided to fill her fresh water from the rinse hose, apparently not realizing you don't do that, or that fresh water was 100' away from the dump. I for one got out and yelled at her to get going.

* This post was edited 12/01/20 09:09am by 2oldman *

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

{deleted rude snarky junk}

Not true, I'll bet it made the OP feel better getting all that off his chest.

After 20 yrs of TT ownership, I was that guy who was in/out of the dump station in 10 minutes with military precision.

Now, the sewer hose storage on the Lance barely fits a 10' hose with no room to store an elbow. Truck bed is no longer available since that's where the camper is...

First trip out I was that other guy....holding the unfinished end of a stretched-to-the-max 10' hose in the dump hole with my foot while reaching to open the dump valve. Thankfully I lifted my foot on my last stretch to reach the handle so I wasn't ankle-deep in the ensuing haz-mat fiasco.

Fortunately the curb around the dump hole contained the mess and I was able to rinse everything clean. Even more fortunately there was nobody like you in line behind me to point and laugh.

Better sewer hose storage is on the winter mod list....

* This post was edited 12/01/20 09:55am by an administrator/moderator *

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbeverly wrote:

It's not snarky to complain about how people dump their holding tanks? [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.