Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbeverly wrote:

This forum resides in Snarkville.

It doesn't have to be that way.

Manners and empathy have been pretty scarce here in 2020 though. Lots of folks are taking out their aggressions online. Not cool.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

re watching people unloading or loading at the boat ramp. we found out that sitting there, looking hungry, might get us an offer of a few fish once in awhile. that's ALWAYS worth the wait. [emoticon] [emoticon]

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a very Canadian experience last fall at a camp in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (just across the Michigan border). Our spot didn't have sewer, so we had to dump at the dump spot when we pulled up.

A very nice older gentleman pulled up the other direction on the opposite side of the island and we struck up a conversation while I dumped. Not that I took a long time, but I warned him that I was going to spend an extra five minutes flushing the black tank before I'd be done. No problem.

We stood there talking still after I was done, and we got to the point where I thought he was going to want to exchange contact info (I didn't want a new penpal though). The moment passed though and he stuck out his hand to shake, and I told him "One of my life-rules is to never shake hands at the dump island".

What a nice Canadian man.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

I know of none anywhere near my home.

For me, the closest one not associated with a campground is about thirty miles away, or sixty miles round trip from my house, requiring an hour and a half and perhaps $20 in gas. I have not encountered plenty of dump stations in my travels between campgrounds and my house; rather, it seems to generally be few if any.

Waiting in line for twenty minutes, if needed, seems like a pretty good option for me.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is fun to watch the newbies and the renters. Last guy I watched closely was a renter and he actually got under the C, on his back, at the dump station for some reason, came out, dumped and climbed back in the driver's side. And off he went. His wife had NO issues with him. Oh! Ridge was the CG.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a maceator and some brown hoses so I could set my TT up in the backyard and use the facilities. Haven’t used it yet.
But about 10 years ago when my township hooked up to city water and sewage, we had to clean out and fill our septic tank with gravel. Then pipe in a bypass to the new sewer line. Part of the city system required a clean out access. I cut some low branches off the tree in the narrow side yard and can pull my TT right up to the clean out in the front yard. Run a water hose (2) from the other side of the house. Only one way to get near the clean out due to various levels in the yard and my drive cuts down to get to the road.
I try to schedule last camp of the year at a full hook up site, so no military precision required [emoticon]

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

It's not snarky to complain about how people dump their holding tanks? [emoticon]
No. Stating observation and fact is not snark. Snark is belittling the OP for mentioning it.

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

Same here and that's why I tapped into my septic system at home. I will dump at an RV site where I've camped but won't wait in line if there's two or more units ahead of me then I'll dump at home.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I ran into something new this Thanksgiving weekend. My gray water tank is a water jug. On a full hook-up site with water shut off. The dump station 50 yards away had the normal sloped concrete area around it. Thinking if I spill, it will be easy to wash that area, so I packed the jug that 50 yards. WHY IN SAM HILL WOULD THE COE PUT A PADLOCK ON THAT COVER?
(I carried back to site, did not spill into the gravel)

You poured it in the grass then? LOL just kidding [emoticon]

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

Same here and that's why I tapped into my septic system at home. I will dump at an RV site where I've camped but won't wait in line if there's two or more units ahead of me then I'll dump at home.

I have seen a few rest stops here or there in different states which did have a dump station island before getting back on the Interstate.. I never had the need to use one but a nice gesture by that State/County to offer it and best of all I have never seen anyone using them so no lines if you need one..

Might also mention, plenty of small and large State parks through out the US, most have a dump station.

Some fuel stations like Flying Js offer dump stations also..

But, myself, typically camp with full hookups and dump before leaving camp site.. But I also have a "dump station" at home, basically a "clean out" opening for my septic system that I had put in just in case I ever needed to snake the septic line from the house to tank.. Does double duty as my dump station..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.