Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Just put in your own at home even if you have to hire labor to get it dug underground. It may take time getting it done, but in the long run will save you a lot of time and be much more sanitary.

I was quoted $1500 (not including permits) to install a dump station at home, I don't have a convenient sewer cleanout (would have to drive to the back yard to reach it) that I could dump into.

It would take a *lot* of dumps to be worth $1500 to me.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the USFS/USDA campgrounds near here do not have dump stations. Many of the State Parks don't, either. Therefore, we frequently leave a day early and spend the last night at a full hook-up RV park. That way, I can dump the next morning in the privacy of my campsite without waiting. I can spend as much time as I like flushing and cleaning up, then go home.
The nearest dump station to home is five miles away, the next nearest 10 miles away. There is no practical way to get access to the home septic system.
The final night in a FHU RV park is the best bet for us, IMO.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Most of the USFS/USDA campgrounds near here do not have dump stations. Many of the State Parks don't, either.
Dump stations are a maintenance nightmare which is why many are closing. People, as usual, abuse them with diapers, oil, and all manner of stuff that shouldn't go in them. "Flushable" items like baby wipes are a common problem.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't had the joy of viewing others dumping their tanks while we await our turn, if there are more than a couple of rigs ahead of us we will dump on the way back whether at truck stops, convenience stations, or private rv parks along the highway. We can dump at home as a last resort, and have also done the last day at an RV park where full hookups were available. I guess we are fortunate as there are several gas stations within a five mile radius that have free dump stations. We do have a macerator onboard but it rarely gets any use, we have our system for dumping tanks that is much quicker by far.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

gbopp wrote:

It's not snarky to complain about how people dump their holding tanks? [emoticon]
No. Stating observation and fact is not snark. Snark is belittling the OP for mentioning it.

Asking an honest question is not snarky.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would wake up at 3am and take off just to have a nice people free experience.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently moved from Tucson up to Payson AZ. Half a mile from our new home is the Giant {brand} gas station right on highway 260. For more than half of the year theirs is just about the only dump facility for a very long ways. They catch all of the traffic coming down off of the Mogollon Rim {where the only two dump stations are closed from October through mid May}. In so doing they do sell a lot of gas but their prices are in line with every other station in town.

On weekends their dump stations are packed, often with a wait of 30 minutes to nearly an hour. When my 24'Class C needs to be dumped or if i just want to flush the tanks I go up mid morning/mid week and have the place all to myself... and yes I do buy gas there. This works very well especially as I really did not want to be dumping into my septic system at our new house. I have never spent more than ten minutes in a dump station and 5 minutes is the usual but my black and gray tanks are only 20 gallons a piece. Time spent is more a function of knowing what you are doing vs volume but get behind a 45'+ DP and see how long they take. [emoticon]

Lots of folks seem to assume they will be able to dump before leaving their campground but often it is not practical. Busy campgrounds typically have long lines/waits {especially on Sunday's} often due to the incompetence of the folks trying to use them... really people, it is not that complicated. Also due to the heavy use I have often seen CG dump stations out of order/shut down for extended periods of time.

Now the folks who can't or don't want to wait are headed down the mountain with an extra 40 - 60 gallons of "stuff" adding 400 - 600# to their rigs, which often are already near or at their GVWR's. Something to think about in the next "discussion" here about actual weights in the real world. [emoticon]

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first started out in the RV world it was not important to me to have a full hookup site. We would go to state parks that had dump stations mostly. It did not take long to discover people are very inconsiderate of others. A few times waiting 30-45 minutes for the guy in front to finish dumping was all I needed to abandon the dump station experience.

I would watch people do everything else but pull the handle to dump the tanks all wandering around their rig, going inside, coming back out, go back in....never seeing what was being accomplished....but wasting time. It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to dump my tanks and be gone.

One thing I witnessed was a guy pulling a portable tank behind his truck to the dump station all the while spilling its contents as he went down the road like it was the Daytona race. I hosed down the road out front of my trailer as best I could.

I have a Pilot truck stop/gas station not too far from my home that I have used before, unfortunately the truckers who use it just open their tank valve and let it go....turds all over the ground where you really don't want to get close to it...so much for using those type of dump stations too.

SO today we get full hookup sites where I can dump at my leisure and rinse as long as I please. To each his own.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It won't get any better.
RIVA predicts almost 500,000+ units shipped next year.

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

I know of none anywhere near my home.

Any campgrounds near where you live? Most will let you dump for a small fee.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.