Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

dcmac214 wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

Hard to find anything better than the goings-on at a busy summer boat ramp. DW & I love sitting on the side, watching the show. Too often it's better at the ramp than being on the lake. Lots of non-friendly-to-younger-kids atmospheric disturbances...

The large public boat ramp on Shelter Island in San Diego is right across the street from our Yacht Club. On Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day we would pack a small cooler and take a couple of folding chairs over to watch the carnage. Launching was fun but the main event was always late in the day when all of these folks who use their boats about twice a year returned to the ramp. The wait for an opening would often be an hour and a lot of folks just could not be bothered with waiting their turn.

[emoticon]

That's funny.

Been there (in San Diego) and watched that many times. Then just for the holidays sake, ADD ALCOHOL, and . . . . lots of it. I try to be helpful when I can, but, you really have to know when the situation has gone too far. (hint: SDPD start to circle) Gotta go!

Chum lee

36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takes me as long as it takes the tanks to drain, and we're gone. I pull up, put my leather truck gloves on, haul the hose out of my bumper, hook it up both ends, pull black tank, when done, pull grey tank, drain the hose, back in the bumper and gloves off, back in the truck and gone. Grey water does a good job of cleaning the hose.
I can't stand to watch the fear and stupidity of some, acting like they're dealing with nuclear waste,although it can be interesting.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

mowermech wrote:

Most of the USFS/USDA campgrounds near here do not have dump stations. Many of the State Parks don't, either.
Dump stations are a maintenance nightmare which is why many are closing. People, as usual, abuse them with diapers, oil, and all manner of stuff that shouldn't go in them. "Flushable" items like baby wipes are a common problem.

Yes, what you have said is true, but the dump stations at the referenced campgrounds/state parks are not being closed, they never existed. Those sites are PACK IT IN/ PACK IT OUT! No dump station, no garbage service, no dumping your waste water into the vault toilets.
Oh, and don't put your trash bags in the first trash receptacle you find in the nearest town. If it is a private dumpster, that constitutes "Theft Of Services", and you might be fined.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best one I ever saw was a man with a very late model Class A pulls up to the Dump Station and puts in the hose, releases the handels. Then
goes into the Motorhome and puts the jacks down on the passanger side to tilt the Motorhome. He stayed there for 20 minutes.

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

I always wondered why we even choose to stand in line - it's not like waiting to use the toilet. Plenty of dump stations between any campground and anyone's home, and a few hundred pounds won't change anyone's gas mileage.

I know of none anywhere near my home.

I just open the gate on that end of the property and pull in. Remove the cap on the 4" clean out and I have my own personal dump station. I'm sure I'm not the only one using the home clean out.

Then again I saw this watch

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one has mentioned it, but this thread reminds me of the Robin Williams movie "RV".

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually dump at home, but this Thanksgiving weekend got in a bit earlier than usual so decided to use the dump station at a local campground instead (I CAN dump at home, but it's a bit of a pain to get the RV close enough to my sewer cleanout). Sadly, it was a mistake. 3 rigs in front of me, and 2 of them spent at least 25-30 minutes each dumping! At least the 3rd was quick. I was in/out in less than 10 minutes, as was my daughter/SIL behind me.

I guess some people really think their stuff is special, considering how much time they spend dumping it!

* This post was edited 12/02/20 03:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread.

I don't have a elbow for the end of my hose. There is no place to store it on my 20 foot TT. I just stick the end of the hose into the dump port and then use a piece of firewood (that I had ready to grab in the back of my truck) to hold it down. Never had any problem and never had the house jump out.

But, I am not stretching the hose out to the max either. That was his biggest mistake.

I have taken to wearing gloves this year. Not because I think I'm going to catch a germ from my own poop. (Which I never touch anyway, after all it is inside the hose and the tank) But, I wear them now to keep from catching a virus from someone who touched the handle before me. They are not a bad idea. Although, after I am done dumping the last thing I do is go inside the TT and wash my hands before pulling away.

The whole dumping procedure for me is 5 minutes or less.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

I used to waterski at least 3x per week during the summer. One the weekends I sat at a friends house across from the state park ramp. Didn't dare turn it into a drinking game, we'd be toast in an hour.

The neighborhood private launch was steep, narrow, and literally a canyon down to the water. Not sure who I disliked more, the guy that used the literally canyon walls to let the trailer tires skid back on to the ramp, making it muddy, or the guy who didn't stop and let the water drain off a bit before soaking the ramp, which was shaded by trees... slippery algae growth.

Ex wife and I had a routine anywhere but home, she couldn't see over the top of the tailgate to back the trailer up. Any other ramp she could handle. She'd put the trailer in the water, and I'd drive on the trailer and off we'd be. 15 seconds at most.

One holiday weekend at her parent's cottage, we did our usual routine that we had done dozens of times before, she backed the trailer up, I drove the mostly flat bottom boat onto the carpeted trailer bunks, and honked the horn for her to pull out. Except this time, her speed across the cement bars that made up the ramp hit the natural frequency of the trailer suspension, and the boat slid off the trailer... right in the middle of the ramp, on a holiday weekend. How the mighty can fall [emoticon]

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 03:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The frequency at which tanks fall out of TTs and 5ers negates me willing to tow another 1000 lbs home more than 50 miles.
You will find when reading septic recommendations most say do not dump large amounts all at once into a home system.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.