Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Dump Station Observations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work at a waste water treatment plant and my office window looks out towards the dump station. I must admit its pretty entertaining. Most people that come in here seemingly have never dumped there tanks before.

2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The frequency at which tanks fall out of TTs and 5ers negates me willing to tow another 1000 lbs home more than 50 miles.
You will find when reading septic recommendations most say do not dump large amounts all at once into a home system.

1000lbs is a lot of black waste.
You sure your camper holds that much or are you full of some of that?? Lol
And I’m talking black tank. A “leaky” valve on the gray tank, rig parked in the back 40 while eating a leisurely lunch can take care of some of the grey water weight if you’re that concerned

* This post was edited 12/03/20 10:41am by an administrator/moderator *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

I used to waterski at least 3x per week during the summer. One the weekends I sat at a friends house across from the state park ramp. Didn't dare turn it into a drinking game, we'd be toast in an hour.

The neighborhood private launch was steep, narrow, and literally a canyon down to the water. Not sure who I disliked more, the guy that used the literally canyon walls to let the trailer tires skid back on to the ramp, making it muddy, or the guy who didn't stop and let the water drain off a bit before soaking the ramp, which was shaded by trees... slippery algae growth.

Ex wife and I had a routine anywhere but home, she couldn't see over the top of the tailgate to back the trailer up. Any other ramp she could handle. She'd put the trailer in the water, and I'd drive on the trailer and off we'd be. 15 seconds at most.

One holiday weekend at her parent's cottage, we did our usual routine that we had done dozens of times before, she backed the trailer up, I drove the mostly flat bottom boat onto the carpeted trailer bunks, and honked the horn for her to pull out. Except this time, her speed across the cement bars that made up the ramp hit the natural frequency of the trailer suspension, and the boat slid off the trailer... right in the middle of the ramp, on a holiday weekend. How the mighty can fall [emoticon]

I worked for a boat yard years ago. Ive had my own boats forever too. not a boat trailer novice. I go to pick up a customers boat and the lady running the private boat ramp "you forgot your saftey chain". I sort of rolled my eyes as i hooked it on just to not hear her complain. sure enough i pulled the trailer out and the 30yr old winch cable snapped and the boat rolled back about 2 feet. her nagging saved my a** lol. we had to shove the boat forward once we pulled it out. luckily it was a roller trailer. or maybe thats why it moved? lol

it can happen to the best of us lol.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The frequency at which tanks fall out of TTs and 5ers negates me willing to tow another 1000 lbs home more than 50 miles.
You will find when reading septic recommendations most say do not dump large amounts all at once into a home system.

Does that happen frequently? I've never seen it happen myself, does it tend to happen on the road or in RV parks?

I regularly drive my RV (Class C) 1+ hours with full tanks after staying somewhere with no place to dump and never considered a risk of the tank dropping. But then, my waste tanks are ~30 gallons so are still under 250 lbs even if completely full.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

bucky wrote:

Does that happen frequently? I've never seen it happen myself, does it tend to happen on the road or in RV parks?

I regularly drive my RV (Class C) 1+ hours with full tanks after staying somewhere with no place to dump and never considered a risk of the tank dropping. But then, my waste tanks are ~30 gallons so are still under 250 lbs even if completely full.

While I have never dropped any tank, over the years of using 4 different RVs, I did add extra bracing to one of them. I have heard of full fresh tanks falling while being towed, on these forums, but never witnessed it personally. Many, including me, travel with a full fresh tank, so dropping fresh, would happen more often, than black/gray.

My black is 40 gal, and 2 gray tanks are both 40, so when all full could be 1,000 lbs. I checked my 65 gal fresh tank, to be solid/secure, which can be viewed from factory cut window in coroplast.

Jerry

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

don't put your trash bags in the first trash receptacle you find in the nearest town.
As for trash, I seem to always be able to find something. The standard trash cans at gas stations will hold a 13 gallon trash bag, provided they're not already full and you can pull the top off. Also, I've never been arrested for using the McDonald's trash bins in Quartzsite.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually don't have that problem as we come in on a Sunday and leave on Thursday avoiding the weekend crowd. When there is no one behind me, I take my time. But if there is even one person waiting,I try to get it done as fast as possible.Then pull forward and finish up washing my hands etc.But some people don't care about others.I have observed the same behavior at the fuel pumps.I remember pulling into a Flying J in Wyoming. There were 2 units at the RV lanes but no one was around. I waited 20 minutes and still no one came out so I then pulled over to one of the regular pumps and was able to fill up there. We do have a sewer clean out next to our trailer at home and use that if we camp local. But when you're on the road you don't have that option.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/20 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

Just as much fun as watching a busy boat launch. [emoticon]

Or people trying to anchor their boats. Every pastime has its entertaining moments.

YouTube has hours of boat ramp follies & docking smash ups starring clueless boaters. You don't need to be a boater to appreciate it all, but it helps.

Somehow I don't think activities around the dump would get the same entertainment value to so many. The dumping side of RVing is not mentioned much outside of the RV community.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

mowermech wrote:

don't put your trash bags in the first trash receptacle you find in the nearest town.
As for trash, I seem to always be able to find something. The standard trash cans at gas stations will hold a 13 gallon trash bag, provided they're not already full and you can pull the top off. Also, I've never been arrested for using the McDonald's trash bins in Quartzsite.

There's a free public refuse transfer station just north of Q that's open most days.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 65 Nights

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, thanks to this thread "Boat Ramp Fails" is my new favorite YouTube timesuck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dump Station Observations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.