cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 ford SD camera

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 2021 SD Ford camera system allow for viewing the aux trailer camera while traveling on the high way. The 2020 aux camera shuts off while moving forward more the 5mph and I was wondering if Ford allows the aux camera to be used while traveling at highway speeds. I believe GM allows viewing the aux camera while traveling but Ford and Ram do not. Also, do they allow the forward camera to be used as a Dashcam while traveling?
3 REPLIES 3

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that there was a law that a television screen could not be in view of the driver while going forward and this was interpreted to include rear-view cameras. I did a work around on my motorhome to display continuously and find it to be extremely useful. Why that would be any more distracting than a mirror I don't know. The laws may not be keeping up with technology.

The rear camera on my 2016 Ford goes off as soon as I take it out of reverse and leaves the zoom mode. It sure is annoying when I have to fine tune my approach to a trailer.

Sorry that I can't answer the op's question but I sure am sympathetic to it.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve put my gear selector in reverse at highway speeds to access the bed camera. Likely not a recommended procedure in the owner’s manual, but it works.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

psdx
Explorer
Explorer
The auxiliary camera (meant to be installed on the rear of the trailer) that’s part of the Ford kit that plugs into the 12 pin bumper connector can display while driving. This is also true for the bed camera. This is new. My 2018 does not allow this.