Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Haul Mode
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Haul Mode

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I use it when not towing in stop and go traffic. It really helps slow you down quicker and keeps you from having to apply the brakes at all in some cases.

I use Tow/Haul and EB when towing, not towing, stop & go traffic etc

Diesels don't have any backpressure so they don't slow like a gas engine will ....
The Tow/Haul & EB make it more relaxing to drive cause the deceleration is 'as expected'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

I engage tow/haul as soon as I hook up the 5er no matter the distance, speed, or terrain. And I use tow/haul descending some steep winding grades even without the trailer behind. Less need to use the brakes.

+1 as soon as I'm hooked. T/H changes ECM & TCM holds gears longer & more positive shifting, SCT programmer makes it even more noticeable, street legal except CA.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seldom use tow haul or the exhaust brake unless I'm towing. While towing, I sometimes engage tow/haul and often use the exhaust brake.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I activate tow/haul when accelerating and decelerating, but I find I can deactivate it at speed on level ground with no headwind. If the trans shifts out of OD I know it's time to activate it again.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

You would think the default would be if a trailer is hooked up turn it on and make the driver manually turn it off if they don't want to use it.

The marketing people probably realized that such a "feature" would only cause more complaints.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a TT and was towing with a GMC truck (gas, not diesel) the TOW HAUL mode was my best friend. Many folks think it just "holds the gear longer", but as stated, it changes the programming in the trans until you go back to "normal" mode.

Case in point: we camped in Colorado Springs a few years back, and after setting up camp, 1st thing we did was head up pikes peak. It was coming down that told ya TOW HAUL is a great tool. Not towing, just going down Pikes Peak, i hit tow-haul. Trans brake kicked in, and at the brake checkpoint, the guy hits my discs with his laser temp tool, and says "you weren't using your brakes?" I said, "nope. tow haul -- she crept down the mountain."

At that point, he laughed and said "guess you have to go back up and try again." We did, on a different day.

Also, as stated, when slowing down, foot not on brake, she downsifts slowing you down.

Great tool to use.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling
Dinghy: 2021 Ford Ranger XL

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper hauler F-3fitty has the 6R140(? same trans as the F-350 diesels) 6 speed behind a 6.2 gasohol engine.

It learns your driving habits. It has tow haul - and does all the tow haul things nicely.

But it also has the handy manual mode. It will hold the gear you put it in like a manual. You can limit what top gear you want. You can back out of the throttle climbing an icy hill to make it without an unplanned downshift. You can hold low gears off road. You can grade brake down hill at gentler rpm if you want.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

My camper hauler F-3fitty has the 6R140(? same trans as the F-350 diesels) 6 speed behind a 6.2 gasohol engine.

It learns your driving habits. It has tow haul - and does all the tow haul things nicely.

But it also has the handy manual mode. It will hold the gear you put it in like a manual. You can limit what top gear you want. You can back out of the throttle climbing an icy hill to make it without an unplanned downshift. You can hold low gears off road. You can grade brake down hill at gentler rpm if you want.

I also learned in a Ford forum you can set the cruse control to the speed you want to got down hill with. The trans & engine in the diesels and it will hold that speed. I have tried it and it does work, RMP more that normal but not red lined. The truck ECM & TCM will not let the rig over rev. I assume the same would work in a gas rig, test on some smaller hills and see how it does. I did and it works with the 6.7.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

It learns your driving habits.

Not exactly, it doesn't care what your habits are, only that the shifting is working at its best.

From the owners manual:

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature's design is to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation. Additionally, whenever you disconnect the battery or install a new battery, the system must relearn the strategy.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You would think the default would be if a trailer is hooked up turn it on and make the driver manually turn it off if they don't want to use it.

The marketing people probably realized that such a "feature" would only cause more complaints.

My only complaint is the light is orange (and the gear indicator is red)...I associate orange and red on the dash as bad things, so even though we've had the truck for 3yrs, occasionally, I will glance down and for a second think "oh [email protected]%$" before realizing it's nothing.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Haul Mode
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.