cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery compartment connections

gnikregrub
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone help me identify what the positive (red) battery cable is connected to on the chassis. (see attachment)
6 REPLIES 6

gnikregrub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All. I am concluding that the red positive battery cable is not connected to the frame (of course) and instead an insulated junction post as ndorder and others are pointing out.

Thanks as well for the tips to validate this conclusion.

Here is a closer up image in case it helps others down the road.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too was a little confused when the OP used the term 'chassis' which means 'ground' to me. Here is a related link with interesting info a pics of a members setup. Its just for general related info.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28895570/print/true.cfm

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Plug into shore power or start your generator then use a volt meter to check the cables. Make sure cables are not shorting before starting the test.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to know for sure is to trace the wire back to whatever it connects to. Most common would probably be much as ndorder describes: it goes to the battery isolation (continuous duty) relay, the house battery disconnect (latching) relay, and the generator's 12V power connection. That said, there are many variations in the exact details.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Insufficient input data for efficient analysis/diagnosis, or to suggest reliable resolutions/answers/advice.
The most common answer is, a positive (+) battery terminal.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Are you worried that the cable with the red tape is connected to the frame? My Four Winds has a similar arrangement and that lug is electrically isolated from the frame. From that lug, the +ve is distributed to the isolation relay and the disconnect relay and to the switches that activate them. A continuity check between the lug and the frame would prove isolation.