Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anybody run Lithium battery bank with solar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anybody run Lithium battery bank with solar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Whangler

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Quote:

The panel wattage seems to be adequate, the batteries are up to 12.6 by afternoon, however the battery voltage is about 11.9 in the mornings after a night with 2 cpap machines running.

Battery voltage should rise to 14V+ for bulk charging and then taper down to absorb on the way to 13.4V for float. Up to 12.6V is way low for a full charge.

Experience is a fantastic teacher. Recommend you buy 2 more AGMs, a battery moniter I suggested in your other thread and learn. Then you'll have a better base of knowledge for upgrades. Start with your battery specs - what are the recommended charging voltages?

The 12.6 I mentioned is what the zamp monitor shows once the sun goes behind mountain and the charging is done for the day. When the sun is up and hitting the panels, it shows 14+ on a good afternoon, usually about 13.4+.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

You need 200AH a day and have two 225AH AGMs. I will guess that they are 6 volt so your bank is 225AH.

Now that BFL13 mentions it, this seems "odd".

12V AGM batteries are "typically" 100Ah-120Ah each. Two would give you a total of about 225Ah, not the stated 2 TIMES 225Ah !

6V AGM golf cart batteries do exist. Not common and they are $$$ !

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could get 2 or 3 -- 200AmpHR Deka 4D AGM batteries
They weigh in at approx 135# each, I have one and it is mated too a pair of 6v AGMs that are series for 12v, giving me an AGM bank of just over 400 AmpHrs , can't recall if it's 410 or 425 total, I consider the system to be 400, if I use 100 Ahrs, then battery SOC is actually slightly above the stated 75% on the monitor,
Even with the heater on, most mornings the meter is above 70% SOC, unless there was a all night TV/computer streaming binge, I don't like going down to 50% or less, I try keep the battery use to 30% or less of capacity, with a complete recharge each cycle
I have gotten as much as 5 years of use, from a set of batteries, that are used everyday of full-time RV living, around 1800 cycles total
This set is only a few months old, as I purchased them this summer

2oldman wrote:

48v 100ah li pack, big inverter, 800ah solar, victron monitor.

Don't you mean 800 watts of solar panels
800AmpHrs of solar at 50+ volts to change that 48v Lipo bank, would be exceedingly large, I think impossible to mount on an RV ,
What would it take to generated 40,000 watt Hours of solar electricity (800*50+)

* This post was edited 12/03/20 03:45pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anybody run Lithium battery bank with solar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.