Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:


Yeah OK... Everyone who participates on this particular forum is a fan to some extent including the ones who claim there not which we know they are the real straight shooters. [emoticon]


I am not a fan of a particular vehicle brand. I would own a GM, Ford or Ram in the certain models and configuration I feel that they are best at. Heck, I even have four different vehicle brands in my driveway as we speak. I believe Ford has the best HD transmission and HD gaser engine, GMC has the best looking HD with the AT4, and Ram has the best overall HD diesel option and interior looks for my preferences (although their diesel transmissions are ****).

They all have their own pluses and minuses in my view. I would drive certain vehicles from any of them like the F150 Ecoboost if I were to getting a half ton or the Colorado ZR2 diesel if I were getting a midsized truck. I don't only tout the pluses of one brand while only pointing out the negatives of the other. Now I will debate facts and figures or what I know based on my experiences with HD trucks and engines, but that should not be construed as being a fanboy for a certain brand.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/02/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Actually Shiner having the highest tow rating is of no value to me, nor is highest torque rating. I just put my order in this morning for a new second place Ford. As it turned out I never set foot in a dealership but just picked the one that offered the best price. If I need faster 0-60 times I’ll take the Civic.


Why a new truck? Is the 2017 coming off warranty? [emoticon]


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ If I was to keep this one I would have had to change the tires soon. It’s not a whole lot more work to just replace the whole truck.


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I have noticed that you tend to say you aren't a fan boy or do not care about such things yet turn right around and say things like this or tout highest power and towing numbers of your favorite brand that you so happen to name yourself after.

Exactly. His chosen screen name is Ford. Specs don't matter to a brand loyal buyer, so why do the manufacturers spend so much time and money touting these ridiculous specs. If the new Ram could jump 50hp and 200 lb/ft torque and tow 7500 lbs more, that would be worth bragging about and showing off. To jump up *just* enough to be "king of the hill" for one model year is catering to fools, in my opinion.

I have ZERO brand loyalty. I've own a Ford truck, an Isuzu SUV, a Toyota truck and now a Ram truck. All that matters to me is a truck that meets/exceeds my needs at the best price possible. They have all been wonderful vehicles and served their purposes for exactly what I needed when I needed it. I'm not loyal to a company that has no loyalty to me.



Company’s pay huge money to advertise because it works. If Ram can advertise best in class weights .... or “the pickup up with the Cummins engine producing more torque than any other pick up has ever produced” they can, in a way, make a claim that they are “best” and here are the numbers to prove it. Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising.[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/03/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^ If I was to keep this one I would have had to change the tires soon. It’s not a whole lot more work to just replace the whole truck.


Big Baller!!!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/03/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:


Company’s pay huge money to advertise because it works. If Ram can advertise best in class weights .... or “the pickup up with the Cummins engine producing more torque than any other pick up has ever produced” they can, in a way, make a claim that they are “best” and here are the numbers to prove it. Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising.[emoticon]


But that is our point. It works because fanboys like to tout these numbers of their favorite brand even though they don't own the truck. To these type of buyers and internet fanboys, highest power figures(even if they are not sustained) and tow ratings is what lifts their skirts to get them to buy X brand. Although I think the fanboys will buy a their brand regardless of whether these numbers are "best in class" or not.

Other types of buyers and fanboys of certain brands tend to focus on things like reliability, sustained power ratings, and ease of repair if needed. There are also other groups that may think something else like fuel efficiency or exhaust braking is more important above power ratings(sustained or not) and tow ratings due to how they use their trucks. What each considers is a better engine would be different amongst all types.

Then this may all change in 350/450/550 cab in chassis trucks since the Powerstroke does not have the highest power ratings engine available. In this class of trucks, the Cummins(360 hp) actually makes more horsepower than the Powerstroke(330 hp) which is mainly due to the emissions and ratings being more of a sustained ratings test rather than a short burst test of the pickups.

In my opinion, I believe that this is the reason why Ford posts short term power ratings in their pickup trucks because these kind of figures are important to the people that buy their pickup trucks so they try to get the highest figures possible even though it is a little deceiving because you will not get these numbers when using the truck as intended. You would get them unloaded going stop light to stop light, but as you say that is what your Civic is for so it is pointless in your truck. Some companies feel that tuning for sustained power ratings is a more honest even if it means that it isn't the highest. Hence the reason why loads tend to effect certain engines more than others.

* This post was edited 12/03/20 08:12am by ShinerBock *

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^ If I was to keep this one I would have had to change the tires soon. It’s not a whole lot more work to just replace the whole truck.


Big Baller!!!


I’m not a Big Baller. I’m just convinced that the cost of owning a truck changes very little whether I replace it every 2, 4, or 10 years. Depreciation plus appreciation is about 5k per year no matter how you slice it. Someone buying his last truck could do the math differently but if you’re going to replace what you own with new ... when and how often you do it is not going matter. However I can’t convince my wife of this .... she likes her car and will not let me trade it in.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:


Company’s pay huge money to advertise because it works. If Ram can advertise best in class weights .... or “the pickup up with the Cummins engine producing more torque than any other pick up has ever produced” they can, in a way, make a claim that they are “best” and here are the numbers to prove it. Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising.[emoticon]


But that is our point. It works because fanboys like to tout these numbers of their favorite brand even though they don't own the truck which. To these type of buyers and internet fanboys, highest power figures(even if they are not sustained) and tow ratings is what lifts their skirts to get them to buy X brand. Although I think the fanboys will buy a their brand regardless of whether these numbers are "best in class" or not.

Other types of buyers and fanboys of certain brands tend to focus on things like reliability, sustained power ratings, and ease of repair if needed. There are also other groups that may think something else like fuel efficiency or exhaust braking is more important above power ratings(sustained or not) and tow ratings due to how they use their trucks. What each considered is a better engine would be different amongst all types.

Then this may all change in 350/450/550 cab in chassis trucks since the Powerstroke is not the highest power ratings. In this class of trucks, the Cummins(360 hp) actually makes more horsepower than the Powerstroke(330 hp) which is mainly due to the emissions and ratings being more of a sustained ratings test rather than a short burst test of the pickups.

In my opinion, I believe that this is the reason why Ford posts short term power ratings in their pickup trucks because these kind of figures are important to the people that buy their trucks so they try to get the highest figures possible even though it is a little deceiving because you will not get these numbers when using the truck as intended. You would get them unloaded going stop light to stop light, but as you say, that is what your Civic is for so it is pointless in your truck. Hence the reason why loads tend to effect certain engines more than others. Some companies feel that tuning for sustained power ratings is a more honest even if it means that it isn't the highest.




Shiner if you were a GM guy I wouldn’t bother arguing with you but Ford and Ram have been one upping one another for years while GM seems to stay out of the numbers war. I haven't kept track but I think Ram has probably been last up the hill in more TFL Ike pulls than anyone and GM has probably taken the most first place wins ... yet GM often has the lowest ratings.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:



Shiner if you were a GM guy I wouldn’t bother arguing with you but Ford and Ram have been one upping one another for years while GM seems to stay out of the numbers war. I haven't kept track but I think Ram has probably been last up the hill in more TFL Ike pulls than anyone and GM has probably taken the most first place wins ... yet GM often has the lowest ratings.


Yes, and Ford has been last up the hill even with the highest power ratings. Like in the 2018 test towing 28.5k on the same day. The 450 hp rated Powerstroke with a 6-speed was a second or two slower than the 385 hp Cummins with a 6-speed. With 65 more rated horsepower, you would think the Powerstroke would mop the floor with the Cummins with the same speed transmission, but they likely settled into roughly the same sustained horsepower numbers as the test went on which is how people use these trucks in the real world. Not short burst 0-60 runs which as you say is what you have your Civic for.

They have all been within 20 seconds of each other in recent tests done at the same day with the same speed trans which is considered the same in my book given traffic over 8 miles. Either that or the higher power rated truck got their power at the start of the Ike to get a good 30-60 and the engine started to settle to more sustained power ratings making it more even as the test when on. I would bet that instead of starting from an onramp at 30 mph, if they would start the test already on the highway at 60 mph utilizing sustained power figures like the real world people do when towing, then times between them would be even closer.

I will also point out that while Ram has been in this pissing match with Ford(which I have pointed out many times as pointless), Cummins not as much. I know Ram has(when I was at Cummins) and probably still does want Cummins tune and rate their engine at the highest power ratings possible even if it isn't sustained, but that is not how they do things. The ratings are J1995 meaning that the engine supplier(Cummins) has control over them, not the vehicle manufacturer.

I have no doubts that the Cummins ratings would be much higher if Ram had control over the tuning and ratings, but in my opinion that is deceitful in a truck meant to tow. I would not find it deceitful in a half ton though since that truck is not meant to tow most of the time, but that is just my opinion. Basically you have one that says we will tune and rate this for 400 hp because that what you will get under most conditions when using the vehicle as intended and another who says we will tune and rate this for 475 hp, but it will back down to more sustained numbers when used as intended.

Then you also have the factor of ambient temps and altitude. If you test one truck at 60F and another at 90F, then the truck at 60F will be able to sustain higher power numbers (at least 25-50hp) than the truck at 90F. Not only that, but colder temps allow for more horsepower in general due to denser air with more oxygen content so
it will make more power on top of being able to sustain more. So testing two trucks at much different temps is not really a good comparison either and anyone who knows how diesel engines work would know this. I bet that if you took a 2020 PSD with a 22k trailer and tested it up Ike in the Summer at 90F and then in the Winter at 50F, then you would get at least a 30 second to a minute time difference.

* This post was last edited 12/03/20 09:32am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.