Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ Forget the ratings for a minute and just recognize that an 8 mile run up a steep hill puts the truck at sustained power very quickly. Cummins is often the engine that performs worst in these real world tests. Then there is the exhaust brake issue .....Cummins has the strongest exhaust brake but with only 3 gears to choose from there is only 3 speeds at which it will hold back its maximum force. (2nd third and forth) The competition can choose from more like 6 different speeds. (2nd through 7th). People who understands gearing and pull heavy loads know how important this is.


2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/03/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???


I think he mis spelled it. He meant Cummings! Lol


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^ Forget the ratings for a minute and just recognize that an 8 mile run up a steep hill puts the truck at sustained power very quickly. Cummins is often the engine that performs worst in these real world tests. Then there is the exhaust brake issue .....Cummins has the strongest exhaust brake but with only 3 gears to choose from there is only 3 speeds at which it will hold back its maximum force. (2nd third and forth) The competition can choose from more like 6 different speeds. (2nd through 7th). People who understands gearing and pull heavy loads know how important this is.


Yes, and this is most recently. Same could not be said a year ago. I have no doubts Ram will step up transmissions just like the did with the gas HD's which was and is sorely needed with the diesel trucks. Transmissions is always where Ram has been lacking in my book, and I stated before that Ford has the best one.

However, gears are not what we are discussing. Sustained horsepower ratings versus short burst horsepower ratings is. If you want to talk how gearing makes the Powerstroke better then that is another subject, but you didn't say that. You stated that the Powerstroke itself is better due to its ratings which apparently only apply to pickup versions and not cab in chassis versions since the Cummins in those trucks have more horsepower due to it being more of a sustained number. All I am arguing is that short burst power numbers doesn't make one engine better in a towing application, sustained power numbers do.

Take my truck for instance. The fact that it can make over 500 hp at the wheels unloaded means nothing when towing because it can't sustain that power level for long under heavy loads and I would have to back down my power level myself similar to what the computer does in the stock trucks. When towing, I am more concerned about the power level I can sustain which is why I don't run my 500 rwhp tune when towing. The heavier I tow and hotter the outside temps, the lower power level I will select to keep engine temps within safe ranges. Again, same as what the computer does in stock trucks.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with much of what you’re saying and another thing about advertised power numbers; even though they may not be sustainable they are what keep the manufacturers striving to keep up with each other. There is no doubt in my mind that the 2021 6.7 Ford will perform much better than my 2011 did and the 2021 Ram will perform much better than the 2011 Ram did.

Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile






Posted: 12/03/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Yeah OK... Everyone who participates on this particular forum is a fan to some extent including the ones who claim there not which we know they are the real straight shooters. [emoticon]

Because we know...

[image]

You're making me thirsty...

[image]

[image]


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/03/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???


LOL, better in what way? Because it makes it to the top of the hill faster?

I have said many times that I will happily climb hills a bit slower in my Cummins knowing it will do it reliably thousands of times over for many years to come. I certainly can't say the same about my last truck which was a Ford.

But when you're trading trucks every couple of years, buy whatever one fits your rear best and call it a day.


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/03/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Yeah OK... Everyone who participates on this particular forum is a fan to some extent including the ones who claim there not which we know they are the real straight shooters. [emoticon]

Because we know...

[image]

You're making me thirsty...

[image]

[image]


Looks good! I'll need to find some the next time we're in the US! [emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/03/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???


LOL, better in what way? Because it makes it to the top of the hill faster?

I have said many times that I will happily climb hills a bit slower in my Cummins knowing it will do it reliably thousands of times over for many years to come. I certainly can't say the same about my last truck which was a Ford.

But when you're trading trucks every couple of years, buy whatever one fits your rear best and call it a day.



For those that put a tremendous number of miles on their truck the long term reliability becomes an issue but even if I planned to keep my truck for 20 years I would only put about 500,000 km on it. I’m sure even the Cummins would last me.[emoticon]

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 12/04/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???


I think he mis spelled it. He meant Cummings! Lol


I've just been stirring the pot a bit but I did take a rather interesting survey of sorts this morning. I went on a searchable classified ads website (Kijiji) and searched "new engine" under cars and trucks for Alberta. Then I hit the filter and selected diesel and got results. I further filtered the results by screening for 2010 - 2016 and got zero. So I did a new search to include '04 through '09. Here's what I got:

6 Fords with new engines installed at between 166,000 km and 215,000 km, There were a couple additional Fords advertising recent engine work.

The surprising thing was there were 5 Rams came up with new engines. Engines were replaced at between 130,000 km and 373,000 km with the others around 300,000 km

There were only 2 Duramax equipped trucks that came up.
One engine was replaced at 160,000 km and 265,000 on the other.

Probably less Duramax equipped trucks are sold is some of it but I was amazed reading through these ads at the amount of mechanical work that gets put into these trucks when they get some years on them. I think I'll continue to keep my truck new.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/04/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Most of us on this forum know that the Powwrstroke is a better engine than the Cummins so our opinions are not affected by advertising."

HUH???


I think he mis spelled it. He meant Cummings! Lol


I've just been stirring the pot a bit but I did take a rather interesting survey of sorts this morning. I went on a searchable classified ads website (Kijiji) and searched "new engine" under cars and trucks for Alberta. Then I hit the filter and selected diesel and got results. I further filtered the results by screening for 2010 - 2016 and got zero. So I did a new search to include '04 through '09. Here's what I got:

6 Fords with new engines installed at between 166,000 km and 215,000 km, There were a couple additional Fords advertising recent engine work.

The surprising thing was there were 5 Rams came up with new engines. Engines were replaced at between 130,000 km and 373,000 km with the others around 300,000 km

There were only 2 Duramax equipped trucks that came up.
One engine was replaced at 160,000 km and 265,000 on the other.

Probably less Duramax equipped trucks are sold is some of it but I was amazed reading through these ads at the amount of mechanical work that gets put into these trucks when they get some years on them. I think I'll continue to keep my truck new.


I'm not too worried; I'll keep gambling with my 2013. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 Ram 3500 H.O.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.