Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First things first....I'm not posting this to antagonize the 'haters' but in hopes of bringing further light to the issue

Despite the warnings all over this forum, I mounted a bike rack to the trailer 4"x4" square tube bumper...it's the cheap 'two bicycle' rack that surrounds the spare tire...I've used this bike rack since 2010, on four different trailers, with no problems...

I convinced myself that the real issue wasn't the weight itself, but the torqueing action of the bikes levering up and down independently of the movement of the trailer...to alleviate this, I web-strapped the upper bar of the bike rack to the trailer itself...figured I had it licked

You see where this story is going....

Rolling along the interstate last Sunday, I get startled people passing mean who are all pointing at me and mouthing the word 'BIKES'...so I pull over...

What do I see? (drum roll please).....

The bumper has failed...however, not in the usual 'the welds snapped' way...instead, the metal of the bumper peeled open from the inside top at each side of each frame rail to about 2 inches down the back side...the bumper was still on the trailer, but now (because the back side tore open) at an angle where the bikes were on the ground...

The whole bumper could have snapped off, sending bikes and steel tumbling down the highway...wreaking who knows how much carnage behind me for anyone who ran it over

Clearly, the immediate cause was the bike rack....upon looking, however, the bumper was rusting from the inside out--undoubtedly from storing a wet, nasty sewer hose in it...weakened structure could have been partially to blame

Takeways
1.) Despite my own inflated sense of smarts, turns out I DON'T know everything
2.) Should have heeded warnings of those with more knowledge and experience
3.) Even if convenient, better to find an alternative to the bumper for sewer-hose storage
4.) Just because you've got away with a dangerous practice for a long time doesn't mean it won't come up and bite at some point

Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting that. Note made to always air out the bumper after using and storing sewer hose in it.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have joined the BTDT (Been There Done That) club, very few come out of the closet on this club, they are out there but will not acknowledge the mistake and will blame everything else.

And, yes, the WELDS are far stronger than the sheet metal and what you have seen is normal failure mode of the lighter sheet metal ripping away from the heavier weld bead and frame.

Best to learn, fix and don't repeat the same mistake.

What I have noticed is others who have not yet had a failure refuse to believe that it can and does happen..

I am done preaching to those on this forum who refuse to believe they are doing something that has the potential to kill others and hopefully I never have to dodge THEIR bumper and bikes..

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing,,,, you got there without a ,,,,,,,
"Hey Yall,,,,, Watch this"
Thats what usually precedes major ooopsies down here.
Glad all worked out well,,,,, less a few hundred bucks.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeDupont wrote:

Thanks for posting that. Note made to always air out the bumper after using and storing sewer hose in it.

bumper end caps should have holes in them to allow it to dry inside, But just about any metal will rust after 8 or 9 years.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An example of why I don’t follow RVs with rear bumper mounted bike racks.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, watched my BIL's twist off while following him on an annual trip.....destroyed both bikes.
Wife called and said " you're bikes are dragging the road "....to late.

QCMan

Grand Strand

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must add in that the inside of the "bumper" is not painted more than a few inches from each end. If that. That rust that starts way before delivery is what turns stinky slinkys into lawn sprinklers. A length of vinyl fence post or an actual sewer hose storage tube will greatly extend the life of the hose.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

MikeDupont wrote:

bumper end caps should have holes in them to allow it to dry inside, But just about any metal will rust after 8 or 9 years.

OP stated 'had used this bike rack in 4 different trailers since 2010;
NOT the age of current trailer which signature shows 2019

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aside from the interior rust issue, a good part of this argument is because bumper quality varies wildly. Some bumpers are just better metal & heavier gauge- This is why sometimes it works, sometimes not.
End result, unless one knows the gauge /quality/ condition of their bumper don't depend on it to support a load.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.