Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/20 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mild steel bumpers and frames are X 45-52 tensile strength ) steel. Weld metal is minimun X 70.. the trouble is in the weld quality and full penetration of the parent metal, the temparature shock and HAZ ( heat affected zone)that causes hardening in that zone. Hard impacts in the HAZ zone can cause fracture where in other places a flex or bend. might only happen .

I have fixed a few. None were intended to carry a load

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

...snip....it's the cheap 'two bicycle' rack that surrounds the spare tire.......snip....

So, you had both the spare tire and bicycles hanging off the rear bumper? Double your pleasure. I throw the spare in the back of my truck when I have my bicycle on the trailer bumper.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

First things first....I'm not posting this to antagonize the 'haters' but in hopes of bringing further light to the issue

Takeways
1.) Despite my own inflated sense of smarts, turns out I DON'T know everything
2.) Should have heeded warnings of those with more knowledge and experience
3.) Even if convenient, better to find an alternative to the bumper for sewer-hose storage
4.) Just because you've got away with a dangerous practice for a long time doesn't mean it won't come up and bite at some point

The best fix to the sewer hose storage issue is 5" vinyl fence post. I got mine at Lowes it is 8' in length. I can get (2) 10' lengths of hose, a clear 45 degree elbow, and the 90 degree sewer connection elbow inside.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics, nice hose storage compartment! Well done Russ!

Jerry

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

An example of why I don’t follow RVs with rear bumper mounted bike racks.

Now consider all of the folks who hang a generator off the rear of their RV...[emoticon]

Like the man said, you can't fix stupid.

[emoticon]

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the only safe - or semi safe way to have bikes on the back of a trailer is with a frame mounted hitch. However, the bike rack also has to be a solid (non articulating) kind of bike rack. I think the bike racks designed for the back of an SUV with a hinge will break after bouncing on the back of any trailer. I have a Yakima rack that is designed for trailers and have a very solid reinforced elbow to prevent that hinge from being the week spot.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better yet for bikes, are the new “A” frame mounts that carry the bikes over the propane tanks and batteries.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cut the bumper off, used 2 1/2" angle iron bolted to the frame and made a frame to hold the storage box. I then re-attached the OEM bumper to the back of the frame, added recessed tail lights, and PVC sewer hose storage behind the storage box. Worked great to store the generator, leveling blocks, hoses, cords, etc.

Looking at the pics, I forgot to take one after I added the sewer hose storage...
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my bike rack mounted to the bumper with a clamp on receiver. However I also used a set bolt to take out the play in the Exocet opening, and also had it ratchet strapped to the rear wall with angle steel behind the bunks for support. In 13 years and many thousands of miles the rack never bounced or swayed. I had a rear view camera that I could keep an eye on them. I wouldn’t do it unless the rack was tight with the trailer and properly supported!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

MikeDupont wrote:

Thanks for posting that. Note made to always air out the bumper after using and storing sewer hose in it.

bumper end caps should have holes in them to allow it to dry inside, But just about any metal will rust after 8 or 9 years.

Quicker drying is much better. Running down the road no doubt helps a lot too (with holes in the caps). But the less humidity you have in an environment, the slower steel will rust. I always try to stack the odds in my favor. (and we do the beach a lot where Humidity Rules [emoticon] ).

+1 on using vinyl fence posts. I did that on my last TT and plan on doing it to the next one we will buy shortly if they ever go back to making a model i like.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My very own 'broken bumper' story...why didn't I listen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.