cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who uses a pop-up canopy?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering picking up a 10x10 canopy to use as an additional shelter on some camping trips. Something to cover the picnic table and/or seating area depending on the site configuration. I'm curious how many others actually do this. Do you find that it's worth the effort to put one up, or is it really a waste to have this in addition to the RV awnings?
29 REPLIES 29

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second 12x12 pop up with full side screens and love it. It fits a picnic table as well as 3 lounger chairs around our propane fire pit no problem. We usually string lights inside of it which makes for great card playing or just relaxing around the fire. It is dry and warm, which is great for spring and fall camping.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dedmiston
We're a swim team family with years of experience with the EZ Ups.

The real pro-level canopies are the 10x20s. Those things are monsters to move, store, erect, and take-down.

We served on our local youth team board for 17 years and put up countless EZ Ups. They're a great company too. They gave us a great break on our bulk orders when we gave them the team's nonprofit tax ID.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Clam Venture.
Use is pretty much all year long.
Sets up and stores in minutes, and we have been in 50mph gusts, and the tie downs held well, with no problems.
Another of the best couple hundred dollars spent..
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I use 10x10s all the time.
There is a trick to setting it up easily, and I will not allow anyone to help me. It is easier and safer with just one person once you know the method.
Half the time I see tents broken because the person helping thinks they know everything and break something forcing it up or down.

The first thing to do ALWAYS is hammer in stakes in all 4 corners to make sure no amount of wind will pick the tent up.

Do not be one of those careless people who do not use stakes. This creates a danger to all within 100 feet of you and to anyones property also.

The cheapo walmark tents are light, pack small and are so cheap you do not lose much money when it breaks.
I use the $800 type commercial ones that are bigger when folded, heavier, but much more durable.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 10x10 caravan pro grade canopy. Drag it along when we think there will be rain, bugs etc. it has side panels if needed, either solid or mesh. It's saved a few campouts with bad weather or bugs. At the same time the el chepo 10x10's that are at the big box stores have often collapsed around us due to water buildup or wind. Downside is the caravan is heavy, just like a high end easy up.

worth it? only you can decided.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We do!

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
We have an awning on the MH, a 10x10 pop-up, but the preferred shade is an 8โ€™ beach umbrella.

I made a stake mount for the umbrella- it is a 1.5โ€ x 24โ€ piece of angle iron with a tube attached. Drive into the ground with a hammer and drop the umbrella in the tube.

+ quick to setup, easy to carry and store, not very expensive, one person setup.
- best for 2 people, need a different mount for hard surface.

When we don't take our dogs down to the beach with us we have a Beach Bub umbrella system. It is made in Greensboro NC and the cost was around 130 bucks. We go to the Outer Banks a lot and it is the best and last umbrella you will ever need. It will not hardly move in winds so strong there is no way you can sit under it without the sand blasted the hair off your legs.
Just my two cents.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Quick Shade that we use on occasions. Most of our trips consist of 2 to 3 days at a site then move on. The 10x10 provides nice shelter, but is heavy and not the easiest to set up. Biggest issue is that we got a new RV and there is no space for the 50 something inch span to store.
We did see a couple of years age a nice 10x10 with the straight 3 piece legs that would fold/store smaller, but can't find one now any where.
Any one know of a good canopy 10x10-ish, that folds/stores smaller that 4 feet in length. Prefer 3 foot.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
10X10 with screens and walls that can be added. Sleeping area when grandson comes along. Sewing area for the wife when we are in an area for a couple weeks or more. Next one will be a Gazelle 6 sided with the wind panels. Watched the wife of the guy beside me put one up, 12X12 in a couple minute by herself. I had to go see and will have one for next years travels even though my old ones still good.

Gazelle
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We have an awning on the MH, a 10x10 pop-up, but the preferred shade is an 8โ€™ beach umbrella.

I made a stake mount for the umbrella- it is a 1.5โ€ x 24โ€ piece of angle iron with a tube attached. Drive into the ground with a hammer and drop the umbrella in the tube.

+ quick to setup, easy to carry and store, not very expensive, one person setup.
- best for 2 people, need a different mount for hard surface.
F1BNorm

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a "Clam", got rid of it!!! For us, it was not easy to set up, very heavy compared to a 10 ft canopy, and very long when folded. Hard to handle, in my opinion. Didn't fit into our trailer front storage well, and definitely didn't fit in back of Excursion without taking out rear seat each time!! Very awkward!

Yes, it will flop down in higher winds, you'll love that when your inside it!!! And it better be pinned down or it will become a low flying kite!! Again, just my opinion as a former owner!!!

We pin our 10X10 (straight leg) canopies everytime we use them, no big deal, just another part of setting up and breaking down. Never have had a hard enough wind to take them out, sure they'll shake and flap, but never have flown. Always slide the walls up the legs if windy overnight. Use "ball bungees" to attach walls to legs and to tie legs together if doubled.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on where you are and how long you plan to stay, the canopies can be a pain or downright useful. It all depends on your usage model.

My oldest sister & family always has 2-4 of them set up at our reunions:

For my wife and myself, we've never taken one on our trips, as it would never get set up. The MH awning is rarely used, but it's sufficient for our needs.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
We went with a Clam Escape screen room: easy to set up, and a strong wind just flattens it.

Interesting - hadn't really looked at these and like the idea.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We use to setup a screen room years ago around picnic table but now we just push a button and extend the awning.....just 1 less thing to mess with.