cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

easier panel removal for water pump access--how to do it?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Access to the water pump is via a panel at floor level of the rear storage compartment of my 2014 Coachmen 21QB motor home. The panel is about 6 inches tall and about 20 inches long. It's secured by 4 of the ubiquitous #2 square head screws. It's also recessed about 2 inches behind the panel above it.

The screws are difficult to reach, the holes are chewed up, and I will likely winterize 3-4 times a year since I travel in the winter.

What's a decent alternative fastener that I could use to replace the screws?

I'm toying with the idea of some small ceramic magnets glued in strategic places, so the panel could be popped off quickly. Any other suggestions?

Plan A was to add an access port like this one,, but the shape of the panel makes that not feasible.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
10 REPLIES 10

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
air, blow the lines out, dump the hot water heater, done. Un winterizing add water.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I used magnetic cupboard door latches.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider adding a drawer handle too. Much easier to remove that way.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
3M dual lock. 3 one inch squares along the top and two on the bottom.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the ball and socket but the panel is probably only 1/8" interior board and not thick to mount the male end of the pair.

I would probably go with velcro squares, and since the panel is 20" long, I would use 6, one at each corner and 2 midway on the long sides.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
magnets or velcro
bumpy

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ball and socket like speaker grille cloths use for a professional look, provided the panel can be make thick enough with trim boards.

Otherwise Velcro is simplest.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Boscorelli
Explorer
Explorer
Velcro