cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Never get lost.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on the morning news, worth a look.

I tried it out with friends all over and it works.

Never get lost

Of course you have to be within cellular service.
12 REPLIES 12

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am always in remote locations. Otherwise what is the point of going out there?
I had an outdoor career. By around 1990, we had almost complete coverage in Nevada with analog phone service. Now about half the state is covered with cellular phones.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
what cellular service?

If youre in remote location you will have to wait for SpaceX Starlink I guess.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
what cellular service?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the things I did in an earlier life (I worked as a professional ladder monkey. Er. Roffing applicator. Great job for a kid with acrophobia (Fear of heights) well I overcame it back then. Re-asserting now but I don't do that any more)

We had detailed county by county maps for everywhere we would likely go and I'm rather good at reading 'em (Got lots of practice) Boss would say "Which way to the shop" I'd look at the map and say "That way" and he'd go.... in a different direction.. Was up to me to keep track of where he took us.

Really liked those afternoons when he intentionally went the wrong way. Some some great country, and I'm a country boy.

Of course we were never lost.... It is very very hard to get me lost other than in someplace like Detroit where the French and the English mixed it up as I generally know where I am relative to where I'm going and which way is UP

What does French and English have to do with it?
French build wagon weels.. In Detroit the "Hub" is grand ciruis park
Spokes are Jefferson. Gratiot. Woodward. Grand river. Michigan ave. West Jefferson FORT (among other roads I'm leaving out)

Rings are Grand Bvld. Outer drive and again more that I'm leaving out.

English build checker boards

Telegraph
Schaeffer (oh and there are two roads that intersect with that name)
Greenfield

And 5,6, 7,8 Mile roads

Tons of fun figuring it all out as they overlap each other.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
K Charles wrote:
way2roll wrote:
I can do that with Waze and Google maps as well as a few social apps. Not sure I understand how it's unique.

Their website says
Google Maps doesnโ€™t make it easy to share a location in the middle of, say, Central Park or Hyde Park to organise a meeting point, and usually isnโ€™t helpful if you want to navigate directly to a specific building entrance. This is because when entering a street address into Google Maps, a pin typically drops in the centre of a building or postcode, rather than an exact entrance.

With Waze I can put a pin anywhere and people in my contacts can see my location and I can see theirs. Many social apps do this too. Like I said, I am not sure how this is unique. Not knocking it, I just don't understand the need. Is the objective to not get lost? Seems like that's covered by a dozen apps already. Heck my new truck has it's own locator I can pull up if I can't remember where I parked. I have a life 360 app that I can see where my son, who is a new driver, is and how fast he's going, set perimeters, crash detection etc. Anyone in my group can see everyone and you can put locations anywhere. Maybe it's unique in some way and I am missing it. They spend a good bit of time convincing you it does something google maps doesn't. It doesn't mention any other apps that are truly redundant. Sorry, I don't get it. Can't you already tell someone where you are, share a pic, tag a location, drop a pin, navigate etc with so many other apps.?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
I can do that with Waze and Google maps as well as a few social apps. Not sure I understand how it's unique.

Their website says
Google Maps doesnโ€™t make it easy to share a location in the middle of, say, Central Park or Hyde Park to organise a meeting point, and usually isnโ€™t helpful if you want to navigate directly to a specific building entrance. This is because when entering a street address into Google Maps, a pin typically drops in the centre of a building or postcode, rather than an exact entrance.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
It was a news item.

This is how I heard of it more or less...
An older couple was on vacation, walking on a remote beach. He suffered a medical emergency, she called 911 and could not describe where they were.
The operator asked if she had the 3 word app and to give her the 3 words. She did and rescue was minutes away.
The app is to give others your location in a few simple clicks.

The kids get separated at Disney World. Within the app they send you a text. It gives the location on a google map, Click "direction" and it leads you there. Can even send a picture with the 3 words embedded on it.

Now you could do it all the long way with repeated instructions until the other person figures it out or you could do it in 2-3 clicks... easy-peazy

3 words

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
cellular? You are not even close to lost if cellular is available.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only people that get lost trying to find my house are the ones that use GPS. Every year in Nevada someone gets lost in winter on back roads following a GPS. The electronics have trouble with road hierarchies. They can't distinguish between maintained roads and those that aren't.

Even with sophisticated programs and apps people should carry a map to avoid the gross level errors.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What a boring life that would be to never get lost again!

Admin
Looks very interesting
I wonder if it would work INSIDE a large mall and I need to get back to the exit for my car ?
That's my downfall :E

Admin
Admin
RV.net