Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Espar type heater to replace older furnace.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Espar type heater to replace older furnace.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just wondering if anyone has chaged out there propane furnace for a diesel type. I am thinking of doing this as my propane furnce is getting old, uses a lot of propane, uses a lot of power, is noisy and had a very wide swing from freazing to roasting. also as it is a direct vent it doen't realy heat up the bed area much.

what I was thinking of doing was getting an espar type heater putting it where the furncase was and use a split outlet to direct a bit of heat up to the bead area while leaving most to go to the main cabing area. was even thinking of maby taking three branches off and put one to the bathroom.

the main question I have is how do you size them? I have a 1991 10foot slumberqueen with a east/west queen bed. there seams to be 2Kw , 3Kw, 5Kw and 8Kw sizes .

also the opinions out there is to get a little larger than you need so it is running at a slower speed using less power, fuel and making less noise. but if you get to large then you will cook your self out running on minimum.

everything I have read (from van sites) shows me they will use 1/3 to 1/2 the power of my present furnace and make a lot less noise.

just looking for real experiances in a TC and advice one way or the other.

thanks
Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

gbeattie

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been considering adding a diesel heater to supplement the lp furnace in my truck camper. I don't think i would remove the old furnace though.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi StirCrazy,

Take a look at Expedition Upfitters dot ca in Victoria. They are dealers for Planar heaters which are a little more analog (Russian) than Webasto or Espar (German) therefore less expensive. Their country of origin does a bit of winter so I don't think they are junky price point stuff...

Use a kw to btu converter on line to compare what size you need or get the biggest and enjoy [emoticon]

You might want to retrofit a fan to blow cold air down your neck to remember your RV furnace

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends how well insulated is your camper,
Geting bigger heater then you need is no problem,these heaters have Thermostat so you can turn it to lower heat.

I ran Espar 7500 btu at minus 20C and at lowest seting it run continuously all night,surprisingly didnt use much electric power.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Depends how well insulated is your camper,
Geting bigger heater then you need is no problem,these heaters have Thermostat so you can turn it to lower heat.

I ran Espar 7500 btu at minus 20C and at lowest seting it run continuously all night,surprisingly didnt use much electric power.

its a 1991 slumberqueen 10 foot. how big is your camper?

I think the issue with going to big though, is the most economical way to run them is so they stay on low all night and don't turn on or off as the glow plug uses most of the power, and when they are on low the fan is the quietest and uses the least power.

I wasnt thinking of camping in -20 but night time lows to -5 or so , so ya not to far off, and I was planing on adding some foam insulation to the bottom box of the camper.

Steve

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Hi StirCrazy,

Take a look at Expedition Upfitters dot ca in Victoria. They are dealers for Planar heaters which are a little more analog (Russian) than Webasto or Espar (German) therefore less expensive. Their country of origin does a bit of winter so I don't think they are junky price point stuff...

Use a kw to btu converter on line to compare what size you need or get the biggest and enjoy [emoticon]

You might want to retrofit a fan to blow cold air down your neck to remember your RV furnace

haha, no the furnace doesnt push anything to the bed area haha.

because of the design of these types of heater and how simple they actualy are there are tones of people using the chinease knock offs from amazon with no issues whats so ever. well a few have but it is because they were in the developer settings and screwed them up. sp price wise it isnt a big deal to stay afordable, but I will check them out and see what style they are.

I just looked at them the Planar are the same as a Espar so thats an option also.

Steve

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve I think but please research it - the Webasto and Espar equipment has more finer control once the space is at temperature so operate quieter and with a better combustion control to reduce servicing intervals from soot.

Webasto and Espar also make gasoline (petrol) models. No soot servicing issues.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the service requirements between the different brands, they are not like a propane heater that might have to be cleaned occasionally you need to change filters and fuel nozzle as well as clean the unit. Check service part price and availability as well.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought Chinese diesel heater clone for about $100 on ebay.
It come with 5 gallons tank, even I plan to use it on my Sprinter conversion, where I have tank tap for such purpose.
Did not install it yet, but I check reviews on Sprinter forum and diesel heaters do require periodic cleaning, when I don't recall cleaning propane furnace ever.
But then the 5 kW heater is size of 2l bottle and can be mounted basically everywhere, even outside. Also it will run whole night without draining single battery.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alde is another hydronic system that runs on propane which would leave the TC heat independent of the truck .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Espar type heater to replace older furnace.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.