Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can you retreat gas with stabil to extend protection?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you retreat gas with stabil to extend protection?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal opion but perfer StarTron a ton over Stabil. To your question, no I would not retreat the same gas

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The green stabil bottle says only good for 1 year, but the pink stabil bottle says 2 years.

I am in your situation. Due to health issues I have not used my RV since Aug, 2019. I put the green stabil in then. I did drive it to the gas station in Sept, 2020 to top it off and added 6 gallons to a 35 gallon tank with the last of the stabil. I had run the engine a few times in my drive.

I did buy a bottle of the 2 year pink stabil, but decided not to add it.

I hope to drive in April, 2021.

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in FL and have easy access to non ethanol fuel. When traveling I have found the pure gas type sites to find non ethanol fuel horribly unreliable. I would guess one out of three places I went to did not have the non ethanol fuel.

Do not know if it was bad luck on my part or common?? So having too much time on my hands. I looked at the site and they show the station on Old Bayshore Road near me having non ethanol. I have been in that station 100 times and they do not have non ethanol, unless they put it in recently!

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another recommendation for StarTron. It was recommended to me over Stabil by someone working on my pontoon outboard years ago. I've used it on the boat motors and for my small gas engines that sit for a long time since. I also make sure to use non-oxygenated gas in these.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motor City Swagman wrote:

We usually spend the summers in Michigan and upon returning to Florida in the fall I fill the tank up (75 gallons) and treat the gas with stabil and it is good until the late Spring when it is time to travel. This year due the pandemic we cancelled our plans to travel North and I am concerned that the gas is reaching the 12 month protection limit stated on the bottle and would like to know if there is any proven ways to safely extend the fuel protection for another 12 months?
Thanks

From the Stabil FAQ:

I HAVE SOME GAS IN A TANK THAT HAS BEEN THERE MORE THAN 2 MONTHS. WILL STA-BIL® FUEL STABILIZER MAKE THIS OLD GAS LIKE NEW?
No, STA-BIL®Fuel Stabilizer will not restore or improve old gasoline. It will, however, stop it from degrading further. The best thing to do is treat the fuel with STA-BIL® brand as soon as you buy it.
Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL® brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years. However, any gasoline stored for more than 12 months will tend to lose volatility (ignitability), which could lead to hard starting or no start conditions after this long storage period. NO additive, STA-BIL® brand included, will prevent volatility loss in fuel. To reduce fuel volatility loss during storage, we recommend filling your tank at least 95% full with fresh fuel and STA-BIL® brand, and store in cool conditions away from direct sunlight if possible.

Stabil FAQ

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you retreat gas with stabil to extend protection?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.