Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New to us 2006 Winnebago
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> New to us 2006 Winnebago

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
hanick5

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a used 2006 Winnebago. I have a few questions about how to use it.

Do we need to run the generator while driving in order to have the AC on in the back?

Can we have the refrigerator on propane while driving?

Will the outlets work while driving?

The rig has 2 solar panels on the roof- are they only used for dry camping or what do they power while driving?

We need to be able to plug in a laptop while driving- do we need an inverter for that or how are we able to do that?

Sorry for so many basic questions. We had a travel trailer years ago but this is quite a bit different.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give us the model number and someone will tell you where the inverter is, and which outlets have power from it. My fridge goes off when my L.P. tank gets filled and that the only time.

tobydad

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator needs to be running in order to have the roof air on. You can have the refrigerator on propane while driving, but needs to be shut off when refueling. If you are not driving for several hours, then there really is no need to have the refrigerator on if you cool it down before leaving. I am not sure about the inverter and how many outlets can be used. When not plugged in to outside source, plug something in an outlet and that would tell you that. Of course make sure your battery disconnect switch is on.

hanick5

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Give us the model number and someone will tell you where the inverter is, and which outlets have power from it. My fridge goes off when my L.P. tank gets filled and that the only time.

Outlook 31C

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar panels don’t power anything. They send sun made electricity to the charge controller which massages that power to charge the batteries. Some controllers can send power to a 12 volt device but most RVers don’t use that feature. Batteries power your 12 volt devices when dry camping. Read the basics about RV electrical on-line.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hanick, I am no expert about specific Wini models, but your questions are actually very general, so I will give you the general answers.

hanick5 wrote:

We just purchased a used 2006 Winnebago. I have a few questions about how to use it.

Do we need to run the generator while driving in order to have the AC on in the back?
**If it is a normal roof top unit, yes.

Can we have the refrigerator on propane while driving?
**Yes, but if you are running the generator, why not use that?

Will the outlets work while driving?
**Only if the generator is running.

The rig has 2 solar panels on the roof- are they only used for dry camping or what do they power while driving?
**They will be charging the house bank any time they see sunlight. They don't care about anything else.
We need to be able to plug in a laptop while driving- do we need an inverter for that or how are we able to do that?
**If the generator is running, use that. If it may not be, buy the cheapest 100+ watt inverter you can find. If you find one that plugs into a DC mousehole, make sure it has very good contact. Hard wire is better and more reliable. I hate those mousehole plugs.

Sorry for so many basic questions. We had a travel trailer years ago but this is quite a bit different.

I hope you know that none of us ever had to ask questions. We were all born knowing all about RVing.....

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your RV may not have an auto Transfer switch.

The older style RVs usually had a plug (female receptacle) in one of the storage bays. Probably the bay where the power cord enters. When you plug into shore power, the plug goes to the receptacle on the pedestal.

When you need the generator to power up the A/C and other outlets, the plug goes into the receptacle in the storage bay. If you don't plug the cord into the receptacle, the generator will run but will not connect (power up)

Look in your electric bay or one of the others see if you can find something like this
[image]

Plug your shore cord into it to power the RV from the generator
[image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In case your Winnebago did not come with instruction manuals, Winnebago posts operator instructions, the original brochure, various wiring and component diagrams online.

This was a welcome surprise when we bought our used 2006 Aspect.

Norm

F1BNorm

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point to plug in the 30 amp power cord to run the Gen. I forgot to do that when my rig was new.

If you need 120v to run a laptop, Samlex has a 150w PSW inverter that plugs into a 12v outlet. Amazon and others sell it for $130-140.00

https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=591

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air Conditioner.
We have found that running the engine/dash AC cools the coach while driving especially if you crack a roof vent.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> New to us 2006 Winnebago
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.