cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Toad Brake controller Battery

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my trip last week I drove my Tahoe around for the week once I got to the destination in Sedona.

When I went to depart on Saturday the Tahoe battery did not have enough power to pump up and maintain my brake buddy.

This is the first time this has happened.
I have 2 brake buddies, a primary and a spare and both said no go.

So I figured I need a new battery.

I was thinking I should get more of a deep cycle so it would last during my trips of 6 to 8 hours. Or go back to harbor freight and get the cheap solar panel to charge the battery while going down the road.

Anyone tried a different type of battery for this application ?

Thanks for the feedback.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
9 REPLIES 9

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If you drove your toad for a week and the battery went dead, you might want to have the alternator checked.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the Tahoe battery?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
This depends on how many time the brake system is deployed every day If in city you my be using it a great deal using up battery more then you think. Get a charging line be safe.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Just food for thought...we use a Brake Buddy and tow 5-6 days without starting the Jeep. In the 4 years we have been doing this, we have not had any battery issues. I suspect replacing the Tahoe battery will resolve your issue.
And yes, a charge line will certainly eliminate future problems.

Gary

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If your Towed is in the key OFF position why would the battery discharge ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds good thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go ahead and get whatever starting battery your vehicle requires. Then, wire in a 12V charge line from your Motorhome to the Tahoe so this won't be a problem anymore with the new battery.

That way, you won't be using your vehicle's starting battery like a deep cycle battery, and ultimately shortening its lifespan as a result. Cars really need a starting battery, not a deep cycle. If you use a starting battery like a deep cycle and deplete it low regularly....Welll, you shorten its lifespan and end up in the spot you're in now.

Find a way to run a charge line to your Tahoe, is my vote.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes you are correct, no 12v from RV
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Can I assume there is no 12v charge line connected from the motorhome to the toad. That will keep any battery charged while driving the rv.