Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: When is weight distribution needed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When is weight distribution needed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not trying to stir the pot (well, ok - maybe a little) but my question is serious... In the old days the hitches/trucks required WD and Sway control for over 5k lbs... then we went to 2.5" hitches... Now my current truck has a 3" hitch...

Here is my setup:
2019 F350 Dually Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G travel trailer toy hauler

Specs show my truck can HAUL (w/o weight distribution) 2100lbs on the hitch, trailer shows about 1400 lb tongue weight - maybe less when it's loaded (Toy Hauler)... 12k GVWR and 32' long...
Truck has built in sway control...

So my thoughts are to drop it on the ball and try it... Am I nuts?

I have no issue getting a WD/SC hitch setup but it seems like an overkill in my situation... And they don't even make a 3" setup that I've found - only 2" or 2.5" and both would need sleeves/adapters to fit my hitch - which I was always told to not use an adapter with a WD hitch...

Thoughts?

2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vanished wrote:

I'm not trying to stir the pot (well, ok - maybe a little) but my question is serious... In the old days the hitches/trucks required WD and Sway control for over 5k lbs... then we went to 2.5" hitches... Now my current truck has a 3" hitch...

Here is my setup:

Specs show my truck can HAUL (w/o weight distribution) 2100lbs on the hitch, trailer shows about 1400 lb tongue weight - maybe less when it's loaded (Toy Hauler)... 12k GVWR and 32' long...

I have no issue getting a WD/SC hitch setup but it seems like an overkill in my situation... And they don't even make a 3" setup that I've found - only 2" or 2.5" and both would need sleeves/adapters to fit my hitch - which I was always told to not use an adapter with a WD hitch...

Thoughts?

Have you read the Towing section of your truck's owners manual? My F150's states a certain weight to use one.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Every bumper pull...pintle hitch....GN or a 5th wheel rv or non rv trailers I've owned gets put on the road first to find out if the combo needs anything done.
The newer F350 DRW should be ready to go as is.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After pulling trailers for many years, I would think that you would want to have a form of sway control....

I know that 1 year on my way back from SC, I broke my sway control friction bar... I was towing a 29' TT with my 1 ton SRW and boy could I feel the sway when I passed trucks, or they passed me....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Every bumper pull...pintle hitch....GN or a 5th wheel rv or non rv trailers I've owned gets put on the road first to find out if the combo needs anything done.
The newer F350 DRW should be ready to go as is.

^^^^ what he said F350 SRW would handle it. Mines 36ft 14K 5W on an F350 SRW with no issues.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lwiddis

Lake Crowley area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not nuts. Give it a try. You’ve got plenty of front axle weight with a diesel IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guy at the Camping World who sold me the trailer said I don't need it.

The people and the manual of my trailer puller did not mention I need one.

I drove with one and drove without -- the driving stability is like day and night.

And yes, the trailer nearly flipped on me on the high winds along I-80 and I would not even consider not having one.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you add too much tongue weight to the rear axle, or remove too much weight from the front wheels, then you should have weight distribution. How much is too much is a subject for debate, but distributing weight is a good thing regardless.

Your receiver dimensions and factory sway control are not part of the equation.

Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm certainly an advocate for WD/SC hitches in general and on my older 2500 and 3500 SRW trucks... But I'm well within the limits on this monster (new Dually) which doesn't even recommend WD in the manual... Taking 1400 lbs or so tongue weight hardly even squatted my truck (has a 5700lb payload) (yes I know payload and tongue weight are distributed differently) I was surprised they don't even make a 3" Weight Distribution setup... I'm just thinking it's an overkill for my situation this time around..

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vanished wrote:

Here is my setup:

Thoughts?
Part of the human condition is that some are more particular than others.
Observe the lashups you run across on the highway. On most days it is not hard to see some that would have most anyone on this forum shaking their head... Yet the person(s) operating these trainwrecks seem perfectly OK with them.

So.... you will get a variety of opinions.... A few of which will agree with what you think.

Whatever that may be, consider this:
Do you want your dually lashup without WD to perform as well as a lesser TV with WD? If so then you will likely be satisfied without WD.
If you want your lashup to be the best that it can be, then you want WD.
It is a lot like seatbelts. You can drive a million miles and never need them, Or take a spin around the block, get in a wreck and be glad you had them.

Fate is fickle and you never know when Mr Murphy will make an appearance.

I have been towing with dually crewcab diesels since 2000.
I can feel the difference in a 1 hole/link adjustment. I want my lashups to be the best that they can be. Not good enough.

There have been a couple of times I was glad to have taken the time to dial it in the best it could be.

It is your call as to what you are comfortable with.

As for the do not use an adaptor with WD... That is an internet myth. Anyslop in the adaptor is eliminated when the WD bars are under tension. It will work fine

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When is weight distribution needed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.