cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone use an aftermarket Tire pressure system?

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for this insurance..and since my last trip to Texas had me with not one, but two tire failures, I figure for safety concerns, it's time to bite the bullet. I'm really not wanting a brand war as to keep it a clean post but as to... do you have one, do you like what you have, does it do the job and is it worth it??
16 REPLIES 16

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:
I had the factory one on my truck disabled. 🙂

Not to hijack the thread, but was goin to say the same thing. I programmed out the screen popping up telling me my pressure is too low when it actually is correct!

I actually like TPMS, TPIS, but one thing to remember is yes it will alert you to a slow leak, but it’s never called anyone and said “you’re about the have a blowout in 30 seconds, pull over!”

The two tire failures I have had with TC on were both leakers; one popped bead, one defective tire (Nitto). In both cases I could feel some squirrely handling starting to happen and I was able to pull over safely. These prompted me to get the aftermarket TPMS.
My experience tells me some advanced notice would have been a tremendous asset in both cases.
Unless you run over a large/sharp object I believe traumatic tire failures are rare with the quality of tires we run nowadays.
IMO opinion TPMS is worth every penny and I won’t haul a TC without it any longer.

The cheap one I bought off Amazon (see above) worked great, gave accurate psi and temps. What have you got to lose? $60?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put an aftermarket TPMS system on my 4x4 van because it spends most of its time on dirt roads and I've ruined tires because I didn't know a tire was losing air. Type I got had the sensors that screw on the valve stems; the monitor plugged into a powerpoint inside the van. For 11 months the system was wonderful - at a glance I could see the pressure AND temperature of each tire. Then one day the system started malfunctioning and shortly thereafter quit altogether. The company that sold them (still under warranty for a month!) had disappeared so no help that way. I haven't replaced the system yet but I'm really interested in this topic to see which of these systems work well...and continue working for a few years!
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Count me as another satisfied EEZ TPMS System user. I like that it gives you both tire pressure and temperature information. I have it on all the tow vehicle and trailer tires. I did have to add the repeater as the aluminum frame of my truck camper blocked the signal from the boat trailer tires. It has worked flawlessly with the repeater.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tst507 on the truck and trailer. The sensors can be a bit of a challenge to get on and off the dually wheel(OP didn't specify). The flow throughs are too long for the truck wheel. I have the flow through on the trailer, although 1 now doesn't flow through very well~7yrs old. When I changed tires I ordered internal sensors, they were on back order forever and I gave up. I'd highly recommend that way on a drw although they are pretty spendy in total.

I like seeing the tire temps, I actually shifted some weight around since one front tire always ran ~10* hotter. I haven't had a blow out or flat with the system, just reminders to air back up.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting that there isn’t “one” brand that seems to be recommended. I guess this thread needs to go longer to develop a consensus.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but was goin to say the same thing. I programmed out the screen popping up telling me my pressure is too low when it actually is correct!

I actually like TPMS, TPIS, but one thing to remember is yes it will alert you to a slow leak, but it’s never called anyone and said “you’re about the have a blowout in 30 seconds, pull over!”
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
I have Tire Minder and love it. But, it did not alert once until after a tire exploded. It's great for temps and leaking tires.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a TST system on my Class A. It was a very finicky system. The sensors screwed onto the valve stem of each tire and the fronts stuck out enough that they could be knocked off if you brushed a curb. I did brush a curb with my system and the sensor got knocked off and the tire began to deflate. In a most ironic fashion, the monitor never set off an alarm! You would thing that a sensor disconnect would at least tell you that it lost contact between the monitor and the sensor. TST told me that a "lost signal" will just continue to display the "last known value". I literally was parked on the side of the road with a completely flat tire and the monitor still said that the tire had 75 psi.
The sensors were a "flow through" design, meaning that you could fill the tire up with the sensor on the valve stem. Unfortunately, the sensors dramatically decreased the volume of air that you could put in the tire. Adding a few PSI could take several minutes.
Each time you started up the system it could take up to ten minutes for the monitor to read all of the tires and display their pressure and temperature.
I think there are better solutions out there than the TST brand.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago, I purchased ORO Technology W410 TPMS off Amazon. It has worked great, a quick glance and I can see tire pressure. The sensors are inside the tire not external which I wanted. It is very accurate and programmable. I even used it to verify my other tire pressure gauges and throw defective ones away. If 3 gauges agree and 4th doesn't, 4th is trashed. Prior to that, I had one in each vehicle and trusted each. Very satisfied after 25000 miles of use and highly recommend it. Note: the sensors are tire specific so when you rotate your tires, the location isn't correct which for me is no big deal.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Tireminder 1A1S
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty happy with the EEZTire - works great on my 6 wheel E-450 chassis Class C. I got an extra sensor to keep an eye on the spare. It supports up to 26 sensors, so should work with any RV plus you can monitor a towed vehicle. They sell a repeater, but I didn't need one, it works reliably without one.

I've heard good things about the TireMinder as well.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of us in "Towing World" do. My 2012 F350 DRW didn't come with one, so I use a TireMinder A1A with 10 sensors for the truck and the fifth wheel (it will monitor up to 22 tire positions if I wanted to put sensors on both spares). Before I started using Sailun load range G tires on the trailer, the TPMS saved my butt a couple of times.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Tire Minder because I got a discount from a Youtuber and like it, but I don't have any other experience. It works well.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L